• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AFPS05 EDPs as “relevant UK earnings” for the purposes of tax relief?

Donkey871

LAC
I’m aware that this is a very unusual situation, possibly unique, but has anyone used AFPS05 EDPs as “relevant UK earnings” for the purposes of SIPP contibution tax relief?

Why am I asking? Well let me explain......

I left the RAF as a Flt Sgt aged 48 after 30 years service and received my lump sum and EDPs under AFPS05. I fell into a well paid job in civvy street and set up a SIPP as a tax efficient means of saving my excess income. Having a tiny mortgage and very good income the SIPP soon built up. I then re-married and as we both had houses we sold them and purchased a single joint property, I maxed out my annual allowance over 2 years and increased my SIPP fund further. On reaching 55 I had a good look at our financial situation and established that neither of us need work any more so we both retired (happy days!) topping up my EDPs with drawdown from the SIPP. Unsurprisingly, a couple of years later we both became orphans and inherited a lump sum each from our parent's estates. We jointly invested that pot in a General Investment Account (GIA) and ISAs. For the purposes of tax efficiency we stopped drawing down from the SIPP and made withdrawals from the joint funds.

Despite living a very comfortable lifestyle we still had some disposable income left over so we decided to make a contribution to the SIPP and here is where it gets interesting…

With no income other than EDPs and a small widowers pension (previous marriage) I was advised that my contributions to the SIPP were limited to £3600pa as HMRC rules do not permit pension income to count as ‘relevant UK earnings’ (HMRC Manual PTM044100 is quite specific on that point). As I had a vague recollection about EDPs being ‘different’ I put the question to JPAC asking them to define the status of EDPs. Their response was that, “the Armed Forces Pension Scheme 05 (AFPS 05) Early Departure Payment (EDP) is not regarded as a pension payment under AFPS 05 scheme rules but is treated as income derived from your pensionable service.”. They also went on to say, “…we cannot advise on how HMRC interpret AFPS 05 income for tax purposes...”. Next stop – HMRC, to find out how they interpret EDPs, except that trying to contact anybody relevant at HMRC is slightly more difficult than herding ducks whilst plaiting fog. If anyone does answer the phone it always seems to be someone from the wrong department.

Obviously, having previously drawn money from the SIPP I am limited to the Money Purchase Annual Allowance (MPAA), currently £10k although I don’t have that much to add. I do however have enough to cover the taxable portion of my EDPs (just over £5k) above my personal tax free allowance of £13,830. The difference between the £2880 and £5k is not a vast sum of money and might not be worth the hassle were it not for the fact that the treasury are freezing and cutting allowances to increase the tax burden and so a couple of grand added to my SIPP is not just a financial gain but a rather nice way of fighting back. My reason for asking the question is that if anyone else has tried and it has been flanned I can save myself the grief and stick to the lower limit and if anyone has I can check that I have ticked all the right boxes.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Welcome to E-Goat...

We do have a resident Pensions Expert on here and no doubt they'll be able to offer some answers to the question posed.

I can recommend the Forces Pension Society for impartial, tailored advice on how best to maximise your pension benefits.

Donkey871

LAC
Welcome to E-Goat...

We do have a resident Pensions Expert on here and no doubt they'll be able to offer some answers to the question posed.

I can recommend the Forces Pension Society for impartial, tailored advice on how best to maximise your pension benefits.
Thanks, I'm not sure that FPS will necessarily know the answer, it is more HMRC policy based than pensions based, and JPAC have already confirmed that EDPs are not "pension". I suspect that this will end up with me making the larger contribution and waiting to see what HMRC do when I submit my self assessment next year unless anyone else has found themselves in the same boat. As I said, this is probably a very unusual situation and possibly unique.

Vauxhall

Sergeant
FORCES PENSION EXPERT
Thanks, I'm not sure that FPS will necessarily know the answer, it is more HMRC policy based than pensions based, and JPAC have already confirmed that EDPs are not "pension". I suspect that this will end up with me making the larger contribution and waiting to see what HMRC do when I submit my self assessment next year unless anyone else has found themselves in the same boat. As I said, this is probably a very unusual situation and possibly unique.
I am afraid that you are right, Donkey871. It is for HMRC to explain - and, no, I am not aware of anyone else complaining of the same thing. Is it worth a chat with an accountant?

Donkey871

LAC
I am afraid that you are right, Donkey871. It is for HMRC to explain - and, no, I am not aware of anyone else complaining of the same thing. Is it worth a chat with an accountant?
My accountant is of the opinion that "it is a grey area" which is as much help as one legged man at an @rse kicking contest...

Donkey871

LAC
The EDP isn't a pension, you are correct, but it is a pension in "name" basically.....I'd eat my hat if HMRC didn't see it that way.
Possibly, but they will have to be able to explain their way around JSP 764 Pt2 para 0201 if they don't.

Captain Kirk

Corporal
It is not a grey area, it is well trodden.
Downsizer is bang on the money; whilst it is not a ‘pension’ it is a pension when it comes to income; it is an income, but no NI is paid on it.
I am 100% in the same arena as you on this.
I have a job, post RAF, and 100% of that salary can go into my SIPP, essentially I am living off my EDP. None of my EDP is considered as income when it comes to pension contributions.
I use AJ Bell, where you can ask ‘Tom’ for pensions info.
I gave in with the FPS after they told me to get professional advice. This is not their arena, this is FCA territory, so I kept researching and eventually asked ‘Tom’.
Expect your question to be recounted to you and the rest of the Shares magazine readers, but you get free city advice, at the expense of being as open as possible.
Pm me if you need more, but this is not a hard one!

Last edited:

Donkey871

LAC
It is not a grey area, it is well trodden.
Downsizer is bang on the money; whilst it is not a ‘pension’ it is a pension when it comes to income; it is an income, but no NI is paid on it.
I am 100% in the same arena as you on this.
I have a job, post RAF, and 100% of that salary can go into my SIPP, essentially I am living off my EDP. None of my EDP is considered as income when it comes to pension contributions.
I use AJ Bell, where you can ask ‘Tom’ for pensions info.
I gave in with the FPS after they told me to get professional advice. This is not their arena, this is FCA territory, so I kept researching and eventually asked ‘Tom’.
Expect your question to be recounted to you and the rest of the Shares magazine readers, but you get free city advice, at the expense of being as open as possible.
Pm me if you need more, but this is not a hard one!
Many thanks for the response. You have a pm.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Sounds like a nice problem to have, and if you’ve got the cash, it’s best pay for the right advice, from a licensed advisor, mistakes a can be expensive and the bills come after you have spent the spare.