• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advice if possible, please

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Ok, I'm recovering. Radio-therapy takes it out of you (a fact not told me earlier). So much so it can take ages to return to some semblance of fitness (various figures have been told me; a year is not uncommon).
As I am retired, a stroll along the canal bank is possible (marching is another question all together; I'm out of synch).

So can some PT expert point me in the right direction of programmed exercise/s please?.
I run up stairs and feel as if I've done a marathon !

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Mate, find yerslef a pool.

I am not fitness expert but I know that every pool has people who can rehabilitate person such as you at the right rate and intensity, and it really it top drawer to pull all the right strings at the same time.

Sospan

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Short walks increasing to longer walks. Once you can brisk walk for half hour without being out of breath. Start over again but on a beach (if you are near one). It worked for me.

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
To echo vims comments. I'm pleased to hear things are going to be getting better for you exbay. :)

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
I would suggest that swimming and cycling (get something like a 45-quid seat with pedals from Argos) are probably the two most gentle cardio-vascular therapies you could indulge in for short periods and that you would get the most out of.

Get a Heart-Rate Monitor for the cycling. This will help avoid overdoing it in your early stages - I thought they would just be a gimmick too but I saw the need and used it to good effect. Don't get an expensive one unless you are convinced/converted.

Hopefully, you would be surprised at the rate of recovery from regular swimming, and the rate of endurance gained from regular cycling.

I haven't been through anything like you have - but I have years of being "unfit" to recover from and I have taken up Cycling as this is easy on my creaky knees. This is in order to avoid Age-Onset Type 1 Diabetes.

I chose cycling as the road is on my doorstep. The nearest pools are either small and expensive or large and miles away.

Hope this helps - good luck.

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Thank you kindly, folks.
If there is one thing that I fear would take me to my Maker ahead of time, it's water, so it will have to be the bike.
As it happens I bought one last year and never used it (the saddles' too high and will not lower, 'cos it's sprung), so;
a new saddle and some bits and will luck I'll be OK.
Until then, however, it will have to be stroll by the canal (which is always worth a look).

Thanks again.