• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advice and tips on New York

GOV1

LAC
Looking for tips and advice on our first trip to New York.

Got the discount on American Airlines through Expedia and on a hotel (Hotel St. James down to £300 from £500 for three nights).

Looking for top tips on the buses / subway / Military discounts on the tourist sites.

Thanks.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Do a helicopter tour (not far from your place on the west side)
Do MOMA
Jog around Central Park in the morning...and letch
Do Harlem (A train to 125th/washington).. get some cultural flavour
Battery park worth a look
Def get the NY Pass and do the intrepid. http://www.newyorkpass.com/En/new-y...useum/?aid=5&gclid=CJqL5pTjnLwCFZShtAodiAcAbA
Obviously do the empire state, but go early or late.
Wonder at grand central station
Get trousered in Blaecher Street (ex pat hangout)
NY state is tax free for clothes - kick the ass out of it in macy's or Filenes.
The further North you go, the more affordable it gets. Columbia Uni is pleasant and the restaurants are cool.

The subways are ace, and air conditioned. You can even get one from the airport if you get the air train link from the terminals. they are also full of the most wonderful weirdos.
You can also catch the LIRR from Jamaica station at the airport - quicker, but a complete toilet of a train.
I didn't bother with the buses (stayed there for 6 months in harlem), because the subway is so good and cheap.
Food wise, the street level shops look a bit dodgy (Pak run in the main). the underground supermarket at Columbus circle probably will not poison you.

It's very safe now, and about as clean as it can be.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Go early to the Statue of Liberty. Avoids the crowds and congestion later on....

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
First of all, congrats on getting your trip to NY squared away - easily the greatest city of them all, bar none.

I'm a seasoned NY vet, heading over there usually around every 12 months, though TBH it's been a bit more than that recently as we decided to go to Vegas last year. However we will be looking at heading to NY again in September time. We usually head for at least 5 nights as it gives us a decent amount of time to see things and have a bit of breathing space, to chill out, do some shopping, explore different neighbourhoods, etc. However, I always recommend to friends who head over there for the first time that 3 nights is ample - like any major city, it's easy to get overwhelmed quickly so 3 nights gives you the opportunity to dip in to NY, see the major sights and get out before it starts becoming a bit much.

A lot of what to do there can depend on things like the time of year you are going (it is properly freezing in winter/early spring and oppressively hot in midsummer), how long you are there for, your budget, if you're there with the wife or are the kids going too and what you want to see and do. Bear in mind that the big attractions are obviously very popular so be prepared to spend a decent chunk of your 3 days there queuing. For a 3 nighter, the attractions I recommend are:

- Empire State Building (though, IMHO, you get a better view at the Rockerfeller Centre with a smaller queue).
- Central Park (fantastic zoo there at W 72 Street).
- Natural History Museum (free to get in, however they do have a suggested donation).
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art (The Met)
- Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island (can be done on the same trip).
- Brooklyn Bridge.
- 9/11 Museum.
- Grand Central Station.

Think of Manhattan as a collection of villages, each with it's own atmosphere and vibe. My personal favourites are Little Italy and Greenwich Village, which is very green and has a vast selection of restaurants and bars that are quite chilled out and along with the East and West Villages, offer something a bit different from central Manhattan. If you want a great club scene and some top bars, the Meatpacking District is the place to go, though Tribeca is good too. As Stevienics pointed out, Harlem is a great area which is clean and safe and has a terrific vibe to it. If you have time, I recommend a trip to Brooklyn as well. Brooklyn is the NY equivalent of being 'South of The River' in London and is probably closer to your idea of what New York actually is. It's an up and coming area with plenty to see and do and dead easy to get to.

As for getting around, the subway map isn't as easy to negotiate as the London Underground, though Manhattan has plenty of trains and lines to get you all over the island. Taxis are plentiful and cheap. You can get a 5 or 7 day pass for the subway, though I can't remember how much this costs. However it is great value. The hop on and off bus tours are very good too for getting your bearings.

As for food, in NY you can get anything at anytime - if you want a Kazhakstani takeaway at 0400 Xmas morning, you can get one. NY is famous for its breakfasts and there are a plethora of diners all over the city to get a decent brekkie that's reasonably priced. Likewise for lunch, we tend to go to a deli and stock up on sandwiches, fruit, juice and water to see us through.

As for military discounts, I will admit I have not had much success with this as discounts are there for US military. I've still to get one yet for the Empire State Building, though I've managed to get a few times for the Statue of Liberty, however I think it was down to long queues behind me and the people on the desk not wanting any hassle so they have given them to me. I know of others who have managed discounts at other places so I think I've just been unlucky - like every where else, if you don't ask, you don't get.

There is an abundance of entertainment in the evenings, with theatre, comedy, concerts galore. On Times Square, there's a TKTS stall which does discounted tickets for Broadway shows (if you aren't bothered about what you want to see it is great value, otherwise it's probably best to book ahead if you want to see a particular show).

To be honest, I could go on all day about NY, I love it so much. You've deffo fallen on your feet bagging a trip there and hopefully it will give you the impetus to go back again. We fell in love with it almost straight away and is, as I said, hands down the best city break of them all. If you need any more info, PM me.

GOV1

LAC
Thanks gents, tremendous stuff, that is a real help

Thanks gents, tremendous stuff, that is a real help

First of all, congrats on getting your trip to NY squared away - easily the greatest city of them all, bar none.

I'm a seasoned NY vet, heading over there usually around every 12 months, though TBH it's been a bit more than that recently as we decided to go to Vegas last year. However we will be looking at heading to NY again in September time. We usually head for at least 5 nights as it gives us a decent amount of time to see things and have a bit of breathing space, to chill out, do some shopping, explore different neighbourhoods, etc. However, I always recommend to friends who head over there for the first time that 3 nights is ample - like any major city, it's easy to get overwhelmed quickly so 3 nights gives you the opportunity to dip in to NY, see the major sights and get out before it starts becoming a bit much.

A lot of what to do there can depend on things like the time of year you are going (it is properly freezing in winter/early spring and oppressively hot in midsummer), how long you are there for, your budget, if you're there with the wife or are the kids going too and what you want to see and do. Bear in mind that the big attractions are obviously very popular so be prepared to spend a decent chunk of your 3 days there queuing. For a 3 nighter, the attractions I recommend are:

- Empire State Building (though, IMHO, you get a better view at the Rockerfeller Centre with a smaller queue).
- Central Park (fantastic zoo there at W 72 Street).
- Natural History Museum (free to get in, however they do have a suggested donation).
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art (The Met)
- Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island (can be done on the same trip).
- Brooklyn Bridge.
- 9/11 Museum.
- Grand Central Station.

Think of Manhattan as a collection of villages, each with it's own atmosphere and vibe. My personal favourites are Little Italy and Greenwich Village, which is very green and has a vast selection of restaurants and bars that are quite chilled out and along with the East and West Villages, offer something a bit different from central Manhattan. If you want a great club scene and some top bars, the Meatpacking District is the place to go, though Tribeca is good too. As Stevienics pointed out, Harlem is a great area which is clean and safe and has a terrific vibe to it. If you have time, I recommend a trip to Brooklyn as well. Brooklyn is the NY equivalent of being 'South of The River' in London and is probably closer to your idea of what New York actually is. It's an up and coming area with plenty to see and do and dead easy to get to.

As for getting around, the subway map isn't as easy to negotiate as the London Underground, though Manhattan has plenty of trains and lines to get you all over the island. Taxis are plentiful and cheap. You can get a 5 or 7 day pass for the subway, though I can't remember how much this costs. However it is great value. The hop on and off bus tours are very good too for getting your bearings.

As for food, in NY you can get anything at anytime - if you want a Kazhakstani takeaway at 0400 Xmas morning, you can get one. NY is famous for its breakfasts and there are a plethora of diners all over the city to get a decent brekkie that's reasonably priced. Likewise for lunch, we tend to go to a deli and stock up on sandwiches, fruit, juice and water to see us through.

As for military discounts, I will admit I have not had much success with this as discounts are there for US military. I've still to get one yet for the Empire State Building, though I've managed to get a few times for the Statue of Liberty, however I think it was down to long queues behind me and the people on the desk not wanting any hassle so they have given them to me. I know of others who have managed discounts at other places so I think I've just been unlucky - like every where else, if you don't ask, you don't get.

There is an abundance of entertainment in the evenings, with theatre, comedy, concerts galore. On Times Square, there's a TKTS stall which does discounted tickets for Broadway shows (if you aren't bothered about what you want to see it is great value, otherwise it's probably best to book ahead if you want to see a particular show).

To be honest, I could go on all day about NY, I love it so much. You've deffo fallen on your feet bagging a trip there and hopefully it will give you the impetus to go back again. We fell in love with it almost straight away and is, as I said, hands down the best city break of them all. If you need any more info, PM me.

Thanks for all the gen. Cheers fellow goaters. I knew I could rely on you.

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
Advice and tips on New York

I get military discount at every sight seeing, theatre, fast food (I don't try in the fancy restaurants) and even in the airport when I've been. Got free tickets up the Statue of Liberty when the couple in front got told they'd sold the last tickets for that day. You do get the old 'thanks for all you do' which can be embarrassing but that's the yanks. Burger King and Dunkin Donut etc put me through as police discount (which leads to discomfort amongst some of the staff who might not be in the country legitimately) and the theatre and helicopter rides were discounted too! I bought tickets before I went for some stuff and emailed the helicopter ride but for the rest I went to booths. Got the theatre tickets from the actual theatre lobby not the red lit steps in time square. I've got friends and family that live there which also leads to more bargains like groupon style priced posh restaurant nosh mmmm mmm enjoy an amazing city!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk