• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Acting Ranks

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Just been perusing the NYH List and noticed lots of acting rank promotions and lots going down also.

What is the gen?

4everAD

Sergeant
Just been perusing the NYH List and noticed lots of acting rank promotions and lots going down also.

What is the gen?
There are so many gaps that acting people up has become the norm rather than the exception.

Last edited:
Acting is the norm now and expected from the promotion board, how does acting paid save money? it also shows the shit state of affairs and lack of people.
And it gives a back door way for the Sqn WO to promote his yes men further adding to the disgust in the promotion system.

dctyke

Corporal
And it gives a back door way for the Sqn WO to promote his yes men further adding to the disgust in the promotion system.
As the same man has input into appraisals which is the ‘front door’ I don’t see the problem. In the main I’ve always found that those who deserved promotion got it.

As the same man has input into appraisals which is the ‘front door’ I don’t see the problem. In the main I’ve always found that those who deserved promotion got it.
I would be keen to hear your description of the “deserving”?.
What qualities would you be looking for?.

Deltaitem

Corporal
It kind of workd pretty well for Richard Sharpe. He showed those Frenchies a thing or two, mostly when he was acting as Captain, or Major. Hussar!

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
I would disagree as I've personally witnessed a useless shit who was barely out of TMT1 before he received Acting SNCO because he was best mates with the Shift Floppy Sausage. As soon as it became public about an hour later, a time served Cpl who had been knocking on the door got up from the group in the Tea Bar, walked to the JPA terminal and 7 Clicked himself out.

As far as I know the fat tit is still knocking about the desert on secondment screwing things up as best he can.

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
Or disinterested/lazy/ET'd 1st RO's who tell their juniors to write their own assessments, subsequently promote and who would have had zero to little hopes any other way.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Acting is the norm now and expected from the promotion board, how does acting paid save money? it also shows the shit state of affairs and lack of people.
Because further down the command chain, a gap is created. I'm not sure if (for example), a Sqn has an acting Sgt to fill a gap, then the Cpl that fills it has their post filled by an SAC, which leaves one SAC slot vacant. Or does the Cpl slot get left vacant?

Either way, there'll be a gap as there isnt a ready-made replacement to be posted in to fill the slot. And that gap will save money.

If there was, then acting rank wouldnt be needed.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
I would disagree as I've personally witnessed a useless shit who was barely out of TMT1 before he received Acting SNCO because he was best mates with the Shift Floppy Sausage.
We have a similar system in our orgabisation Spearmint, where individuals have been given temporary promotion at the whim of the Senior manager instead of through fair and open competition (which it should be). It absolutely destroyed one team as the other Team Leaders effectively downed tools when the yes person was appointed without any formal application process, even though they were the weakest leader of the group. To rub salt into the wound, they appointed another yes person to fill the gap created, again without fair and open competition, and the rest of that grade also went into open revolt. 12 months later, and 8 months after the first individual had stepped down and moved on, there is still a culture of distrust and disharmony in that team, leading to a very low people survey score for them. The new manager came from outside the organisation and is close to quitting on a daily basis, such is the mess that they have inherited. The senior leadership refuse to acknowledge that it was their doing.

unruly1986

Sergeant
Never had acting and it didn’t stop me getting picked up. In fact, I’ve sat on PSBs where acting rank added zero value to the write ups and the individual scored poorly.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
I was acting Sgt paid from the end of January 86 after GST 2 until the middle of April 86 after TMT2, in those days there was minimal acting rank except the plods.

Next question.

Do they still give numbers on the F6442 or whatever replaced it?

When I got promoted you were expected to get at least 90 points over 4 years and 93 or 94 was an excellent promotion number.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Never had acting and it didn’t stop me getting picked up. In fact, I’ve sat on PSBs where acting rank added zero value to the write ups and the individual scored poorly.

Thats more down the to the lack of evidence of what they did whilst acting or a badly written SJAR surely?

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I was acting Sgt paid from the end of January 86 after GST 2 until the middle of April 86 after TMT2, in those days there was minimal acting rank except the plods.

Next question.

When I got promoted you were expected to get at least 90 points over 4 years and 93 or 94 was an excellent promotion number.
No. The SJARs are graded by letters A to C with pluses and minuses. There's an overall letter which does not have to align to the average.

It's in the write up, completely. In fact, if the write up doesn't reflect the grade - in the bin it goes. If, for instance you even mention the word "development" in the potential as first or second RO, even if it's "has potential to reach the top of his next rank", it gets shitcanned.
In esence, it's exactly like a CV screen - they look for trip words.

Acting rank helps, but you have to be doing acting rank things with it and they have to be mentioned . Like secondary duties - they need to have some meat behind them.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Thats more down the to the lack of evidence of what they did whilst acting or a badly written SJAR surely?
Sounds like the sort of Acting I seen regularly being 'gifted' to young SAC(T)'s down in MPA on the Herc Fleet. They did **** all to demonstrate suitability other than allowing themselves to be used as a 2nd Sig by 'Management' - even then they couldn't get that stuff right.

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts

Next question.

no its basically what ever way the wind blows, one board its what you do additionally, secondary duties etc, the next its primary duties focused, recently its acting rank, basically a fuc4in lottery. the 6442 system was better and that was sh1t.