• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ac

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Do you mean aircraft or aircraftmen?

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Oh, welcome to the goat.
Don't be shy, pop over to the intros area and say hi.

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
Best EVER 70s/80s A/Cs u worked with? Also OLDEST working !

Assuming you mean Aircraft, the best was either the Tomb or the Victor. I loved them both equally.
The most of one type I have worked on is the Tonka and the oldest, I'm not sure, probably the JP's we had in CTTS.
Or maybe the Pembroke we used for engine runs.

G

grumpyoldb

I was an A/C when I was at Swinders, and I'm ancient............! :pDT_Xtremez_14:

Oldest aircraft would be shackletons when 8Sqn first arrived at ISL 1974.
Hunters at Laarbruch and Dominies are getting a bit long in the tooth now.
First aircraft I put a spanner to was a sea vixen at Halton.

Best EVER 70s/80s A/Cs u worked with? Also OLDEST working !

Worked on first GR1s in service then F2s.

First aircraft i worked wiggly amp magic on was an Argosy at Cosford.

What about ewe...eherm....sorry mind still on other things!!.:pDT_Xtremez_42:

What about you?:pDT_Xtremez_19:

Obi Wan

Sergeant
I was an A/C when I was at Swinders, and I'm ancient............! :pDT_Xtremez_14:

Oldest aircraft would be shackletons when 8Sqn first arrived at ISL 1974.
Hunters at Laarbruch and Dominies are getting a bit long in the tooth now.
First aircraft I put a spanner to was a sea vixen at Halton.

Bu**er I to was an AC at Swinders.................Oldest Aircraft was a Hunter (Laarbruch) Buccaneers at Honington (and Laarparts) and quite spookely My first Aircraft I put a spanner to was a Sea Vixen at Halton
But I still feel like a 18 year old.............anyone know were I can get one?.........:pDT_Xtremez_14:

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
First aircraft to work on was an Avro Anson (we also had a couple of Chipmunks and a DH Devon) at Upavon in 1962.

:pDT_Xtremez_30:
Lurkio; please tell me what model of Canberra was in that set of photos? It looks kinda familiar.

:pDT_Xtremez_42:

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Oldest aircraft was probably the Whirlwind HAR Mk 10 (some were converted from 1950's piston engines!) - mid '70's

Also Hunters an Buccs - Honington & Laarparts - '80's

First A/C to put a Spanner to ... Vixen (Halton - New Workshops) - '75

Starting to make a theme here...

matkat

SAC
Oldest aircraft was probably the Whirlwind HAR Mk 10 (some were converted from 1950's piston engines!) - mid '70's

Also Hunters an Buccs - Honington & Laarparts - '80's

First A/C to put a Spanner to ... Vixen (Halton - New Workshops) - '75

Starting to make a theme here...
Much the same with me, hunter's and Bucc's at Laarbruch. Oldest civvie aircraft DC8-61 first 'spannered was a JP at Saints in 1976.

Sospan

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I wonder if the OP is going to come back on here and explain what the hell he was on about?

Vushtrri

Sergeant
XV199 was the first I ever worked on...........still brings a tear to my eye...wish you could sign up again at 51!

timbo_66

LAC
:pDT_Xtremez_30:
Lurkio; please tell me what model of Canberra was in that set of photos? It looks kinda familiar.

:pDT_Xtremez_42:

The canberra with the elongated bumby nose is a TT17 ECM variant that was operated by 360 Sqn at RAF Wyton in the 80s. The other canberra pic withe the yellow / black striped underbelly is (I think ) a BI 6. The colour scheme denotes a target towing aircraft, so this aircraft would have belonged to 100 Sqn (also based at RAF Wyton in the 80s). I used to see these aircraft every day as I worked in AEF (later became No1 PRU) at Wyton working on the mighty Canberra PR9s.

Realist78

Master of my destiny
Read it correctly u thick f+++! A/C stands for aircraft![/QUOTE]

Where does it say that then? Also, being blatantly rude will get you nowhere! Furthermore, your OP says A/Cs, if A/C is an abbreviation for aircraft, it follows that A/Cs is an abbreviation for aircrafts, no such word.

After further Google action at linky both AC and A/C are acceptable so my second sentence stands as my main point.

Last edited:

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
The canberra with the elongated bumby nose is a TT17 ECM variant that was operated by 360 Sqn at RAF Wyton in the 80s. The other canberra pic withe the yellow / black striped underbelly is (I think ) a BI 6. The colour scheme denotes a target towing aircraft, so this aircraft would have belonged to 100 Sqn (also based at RAF Wyton in the 80s). I used to see these aircraft every day as I worked in AEF (later became No1 PRU) at Wyton working on the mighty Canberra PR9s.

If that IS a BI 6 then perhaps it is an ex-213 sqdn.
I'd love to know what happened to any of the PR7s we had on 80 sqdn in RAFG.

The 360 squadron Canberra is a T.17, the target tower is a TT.18 which did belong to 100 Squadron