• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2023 remembrance Sunday

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
On the remembrance Sunday what are the great and the good of the goat doing different to a normal Sunday, if anything?

Old TB will be off to the remembrance event at Cosford Museum this morning with an ex-Army buddy of mine and maybe a glass could be raised this evening to those I have reason to remember.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Last year I marched at the Cenotaph in London with my Harrier Mafia but the the application for this year didn't make it into the RBL in time, so next year we'll be back.

However, instead we (family) flew north to celebrate someone leaving the RAF and their 40th at the same time so met up with a few ex-colleagues from other platforms / stations, reminiscing as appropriate.

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
I used to go to the Service in Woodhall Spa every year, but numbers are dwindling :(

Went to the one at my Unit on Friday - quite poignant. Had the military wives choir and a decent service - although not the best turn out here too.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Had the military wives choir and a decent service
Similar at Cosford the whole event was as well run as ever not to much "god bothering" and some nice words, a small amount of grit in the air for my old Army buddy. Hope the young lad who had to take the knee on the parade is OK, good work from the rock SNCO to move him out to a rest room with minimum fuss.

Last edited:

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Good turnout at our local war memorial, as usual the Lord lieutenant, MP and Mayor were there along with the local TA unit and a regular RA battery to fire for the start and finish of the 2 minutes. Most of the local youth organizations were represented too.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
MWD and family will be at the Stamford event - setting off at 1015 for a 20 minute stroll into town.
I drove past there just prior to the remembrance event...and caught a glimpse of that enigmatic Harrier aka "Christine". I mumbled a sort of Shamanic protection chant to ward her spirit away

I hope it worked and my spotting of her through my unprotected eyes didn't lead to any disruption.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
I drove past there just prior to the remembrance event...and caught a glimpse of that enigmatic Harrier aka "Christine". I mumbled a sort of Shamanic protection chant to ward her spirit away

I hope it worked and my spotting of her through my unprotected eyes didn't lead to any disruption.

Now you've done it.....by calling 'She who should not be named' by her proper title, someone in the area needs to sacrifice a bus full of paraplegic orphans, nuns or a warehouse full of puppies.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Now you've done it.....by calling 'She who should not be named' by her proper title, someone in the area needs to sacrifice a bus full of paraplegic orphans, nuns or a warehouse full of puppies.

I'm so sorry! I tried to keep my eyes closed but "she" just dragged me in

norfolkred1

Sergeant
Had our parade in Stockton. At the most we had 6 RAF vets on duty but only me on parade marching, the rest are well past their marching days. As I am RBL the Parade Marshall (ex Para Shouty man) insists I march all the pongos about, I bet there is some mumbling under their breaths.

Are El

LAC
My ex-RAF mate and me attended the RBL Remembrance service at Oosterbeek war cemetery. It was a dignified, quite well attended service with a total of nineteen wreaths laid. There was a good mix of Dutch, British, old, young, military and civilians. Perhaps not so suprising because Market Garden is widely commemorated in the area.