• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2017 Pay Rise

2017 Pay Rise

• Meh! Everyone is feeling the pain so happy

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Fooked off. I am worth more than this!

Votes: 29 67.4%
  • I am punching above my weight anyway...

Votes: 6 14.0%

• Total voters

firestorm

Warrant Officer
Deputy fire officers? Must be a new rank!
These nose in trough seniors are taking the **** whilst the rest of us suffer.
Meanwhile, in other news, my take home pay is £50 a month down on 2011 levels. If you're looking to cause a fight, look elsewhere.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Deputy fire officers? Must be a new rank!
These nose in trough seniors are taking the **** whilst the rest of us suffer.
Meanwhile, in other news, my take home pay is £50 a month down on 2011 levels. If you're looking to cause a fight, look elsewhere.
Welcome back.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

PraiseBacon

Sergeant
To add in a private sector perspective - last week I had to break the news to my team that for the 4th year in a row no-one was getting a pay rise.

Then had to confirm there was another round of layoffs coming in April, but to the best of my knowledge no-one from our team was on the list as we had staff culled in Nov last year.

Then I had a few stiff drinks after getting the brunt of the teams (understandable) anger about cost of living etc

The thing bout private sector - no profits, no pay rise, and layoffs come in waves

I fear I will lose good people this year, although cannot blame them for looking to move on..

FOMz

Warrant Officer
To add in a private sector perspective - last week I had to break the news to my team that for the 4th year in a row no-one was getting a pay rise.

Then had to confirm there was another round of layoffs coming in April, but to the best of my knowledge no-one from our team was on the list as we had staff culled in Nov last year.

Then I had a few stiff drinks after getting the brunt of the teams (understandable) anger about cost of living etc

The thing bout private sector - no profits, no pay rise, and layoffs come in waves

I fear I will lose good people this year, although cannot blame them for looking to move on..

Are you still working is the Banking world? There seems to be a lot of bonus cash still sploshing about looking online or is that just the top dogs and not the little fish?

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
By and large, I have no complaints. The 1% may not even be worth having but with inflation so little and interest rates so low, one can't complain

Not to mention, it's the public sector (undemanding)

Turbine

LAC
1% is better than 0%

However where this really starts to hurt is the longer term, this another year of very low if non existent pay rises. Now that we have moved to a career average earning pension this continued lack of significant pay rise will start to change final figures.

Add to this those in trades with slow/non existent promotion (or those with the extra ranks to jump through) which can mean waiting the long periods marking time in a rank waiting/hoping for promotion and these minor pay awards suddenly start to change the final figure for many.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
1% is better than 0%

However where this really starts to hurt is the longer term, this another year of very low if non existent pay rises. Now that we have moved to a career average earning pension this continued lack of significant pay rise will start to change final figures.

Add to this those in trades with slow/non existent promotion (or those with the extra ranks to jump through) which can mean waiting the long periods marking time in a rank waiting/hoping for promotion and these minor pay awards suddenly start to change the final figure for many.
Rather strangely depending on how the CARE pension works you could be better off than under the final Salary schemes if you spend a long time in your final rank, as they tend to attract CPI rises to the banked salary yet your salary suffers below inflation rises.

Also in the private sector and had no Cost of Living rise this year, whilst managing the redundancy of a couple of guys.

Sent from my SM-T715 using Tapatalk

PraiseBacon

Sergeant
Are you still working is the Banking world? There seems to be a lot of bonus cash still sploshing about looking online or is that just the top dogs and not the little fish?

No, it's been a few years since i last worked for a bank - i've been at a large reatiler, train operator and an accountants governing body since then...

In reality though - many banking bonuses were fishermans tales, some - mostly very senior execs, did well and many more people pretended they did well..... little fish always got nothing or peanuts anyway

Back to the point though - IT security is now gaining momentum beyond banks ! Great for me as i turned out to be very good at something i enjoy and have stayed ahead of for over 20 years...

Commercial reality in the private sector is brutal at times - but as i spent a lot on team development last year any that get canned will be in demand and i may lose the best ones if we cant keep them (in fairness though, i've jumped compajies for promotions or better pay as well!)..

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
For the first time I may actually get a pay rise this year (in that I'll actually get to keep some of the 1% I get), chinned off SFAs in favour of owning a house, so no rent raise for me! Of course, I'm sure the MOD will find another way to channel that 1% into another form of bill (maybe I'll get promoted and end up with a Mess bill I don't want or need).