• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

You cant have it, someone else might want it!

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
So the saga continues, not only are shirts in short supply, trousers are also hard to get and to top it off there are no more RAF belts! nil stock, no contract, discontinued, now walking around with braces on with a yellow diff chit for no belt! Even Mc'donalds manage to cloth their employees!

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
A glorious opportunity for ILLBW to insist upon the wearing of Staple Belts and and No 1 Uniform Trousers at all time.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
I thought the national shirt shortage had been sorted out? I went down to my local supply-refusal centre the other week, and got 3. Even managed to get a pair of trousers - though they were over a food too long and had to be chopped down.

I'm actually quite surprised they've not used this 'national shortage' as an excuse to chin off blues altogether, and have us all convert to PCS.

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
I'm back into uniform after 10 years in civvys - this is going to be fun :(

PCS might be a good shout though!

I doubt PCS will ever happen - we will look too much like the army. There was the clothing trial a while a go of dark blue PCS for those trades that work in dirty/dusty environments. Despite overwhelmingly positive feedback it was decided not to adopt it :(

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Shirts are £12.50, belt £6.99 and no.2 trousers (all sizes) just £16.99 on Ebay.

And that probably answers the question of where all the stock went to...

Allflapnofly

Corporal
Maybe the priority is the CCF, Air Training Corps and Auxilary Ma'am Vorderman......types......

Regular serving members of the Royal Air Force.....'Know your Place!'

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
I'm back into uniform after 10 years in civvys - this is going to be fun :(

PCS might be a good shout though!

Not worn blues for around 3 years now, PCS is so much easier to operate in, even if in the Office.

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
I like the blues, simply because of tradition not comfort.

PCS, much more comfortable, but it just reminds me of the pebble monkeys.

How about something in between? Cargo pants and a polo with "RAF" logo?! (maybe not).

Not that i have much choice, but in the next few weeks i will be heading for stores asking for a new set - ain't no way i'll be getting into my 32" waist trousers.

SAXAVORDIAN

Sergeant
Seems you have better chance of getting RAF clothing civvy street Army + Navy stores than in service. I remember when they ditched the old Blue/Grey overalls for Green and the warm coats with wings for the Dirty Macs.:pDT_Xtremez_38:

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
I doubt PCS will ever happen - we will look too much like the army. There was the clothing trial a while a go of dark blue PCS for those trades that work in dirty/dusty environments. Despite overwhelmingly positive feedback it was decided not to adopt it :(

The RN adopted a dark blue PCS for grubby work onboard ship, seems to be working well, though I've been told that they don't stay blue very long (colour washes out pretty quick and the turn blue-grey).

Allflapnofly

Corporal
I vaguely recall quite a few years back our station 'contingent' of Rock Apes purchasing equipment with their own wonga from online and external military kit supplying dealers/sources....As it was certainly far superior to the personal RAF Reg service kit that they were issued......

Saying that, I got some kit from our American friends on base military stores my visits to the USA......Zips for boots etc, and including a big Uncle Sam's green kit bag I purchased, which was far better than the RAF issue miniscule sausage bag.....oh yeah.....

Oh and our Jockey's certainly adored struttin' around wearing them non RAF service issue, 'Leder' Flying Jackets. 'Oh Ja!'......Although, the then Joe SWO wasn't too chipper about the grow bags wearing them around camp......

rocket scientist

Sergeant
If we wanted kit for our spacey's it was definitely a case of beg, borrow & steal. We were given nothing apart from the initial blues issue and they were kids sizes so no regular went short because of that.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
On E3's you had so much non-standard kit to carry that you had to discard the issue headset bag and buy one of those big green USAF flight bags at the earliest opportunity. Best $27 you'll ever spend on that jet.