• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Xv179

Four Years on I will be remembering the lads who gave their lives aboard XV179 in Iraq today.

I know some are attending the National Memorial Arboretum service and I will make sure that I have five minutes reflection to remember the good friends we all lost that day.

Keep the beers cold boys, we will all be up to see you sooner or later.

Jimps

T

The Gimp

I will be having some quiet reflection today.

Thinking of you all guys, you are still in our thoughts.

AndyZ

Sergeant
God bless them and may they rest in peace. Thoughts will be with their families and colleagues today.

Bitburger

England 2010 Campaign
1000+ Posts
I was in Bas when this happen and along with Sausage2 took part in the Bas end of the repat, a very sad event. I will be raising a glass of single malt to the guys tonight as I reflect on the loss.
RIP

In the quiet of Sunday morning I will be reflecting on the loss of some good friends and these words will once again spring to mind:

May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of his hand.

To those who lost loved ones when '179 was downed, I wish you strength on a dark day and please be assured that every one of us left behind, will never forget those who are now downroute for ever.

Jimps

olliepop

Corporal
Flying together forever, on the wings of angels.

Invictus
OUT of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance I have not
winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years Finds,
and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Not forgotten RIP.

Last edited:
Today is the seventh anniversary of the shooting down in Iraq of XV179, with the loss of all on board. I expect they will all have gathered in God's cheapest boozer for a bevy or two.

Steady will be chain smoking B and h calling everybody '(p)untos. Smudge will be dishing out the rates and checking out the barmaid, Pards will be, well, Australian, Gary Nic will be the loudest in the bar but with people listening out of choice not volume. Gibbo? he will be sharking someone at pool or telling whoever will listen how great a golfer he is; Bob O'Connor will be telling Rosie and Jim stories and Richie Brown will be in charge of the Barbie. Dave Williams will be the quiet man dropping in the funniest one liners and Paddy and Jonah will be having a great time.

We left behind will mourn their passing, but give thanks for their lives.

RIP lads - gone but NEVER forgotten.

Jimps

For anyone who is not aware of the significance of today, I have stolen this from one of my Facetube friends:

For the Men of the Hercules C130K - Hilton 22 (XV179).

On the 30th of January 2005 at 1330Z, the crew and passenger of a Hercules C130K, callsign HILTON 22 were flying north-west from Baghdad International Airport. They were en-route to Ballad when the aircraft was hit by ordnance from an insurgent team over whom they had flown. The aircraft suffered a catastrophic failure following this assault when an explosion caused twenty three feet of the starboard wing to detach, outboard of number 4 engine.

The aircraft crashed killing all ten men on board.

Lest we forget…

Sqn Ldr Pat “Paddy” Marshall.
Flt Lt David “Steady” Stead.
Flt Lt Andy “Smudge” Smith.
Flt Lt Paul “Pards” Pardoel.
WO Gary “Gary Nic” Nicholson.
Flt Sgt Mark “Gibbo” Gibson.
Chf Tech Ritchie “Delia” Brown.
Sgt Bob “Logical Bob” O’Connor.
Cpl David' DW' Williams
L/Cpl “Jonah” Jones.

From those who continue the mission they died for… RIP our friends, forever in our thoughts and prayers.

The only decent outcome of this tragic event (after a long battle with Bean Counters) was all RAF C130 K & J are now fitted with Explosion Suppression Foam in the wing tanks which may prevent a tragedy such as this occurring again.

Jimps

Last edited: