• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

WWII Lancaster Raid

W

Wing boy

Mate that was brilliant! I was sat there waiting for them to say "SPLASH" but still absolutely awesome. why don't we have a historical thread?

O

Oh sir

Yeah Trick, good quality post mate. Cracking find.

I would guess that the answer to the question "why don't we have a historical thread" is probably that we don't have so many posts submitted to fill one, it would become another one of those unused threads.

Still, ask Wobbly et al, our admins and moderators extraordinaire, and it may well happen. They are the guys in the know as to whether there is the interest there.

AndyZ

Sergeant
Superb....was thinking, while listening, about another thread on here "What makes you proud to be in the RAF" and it made me want to shout at the negative d1ckheads on there to listen to this and re think what makes them proud....

F

Fablon biff chit

Oh sir said:
Still, ask Wobbly et al, our admins and moderators extraordinaire, and it may well happen. They are the guys in the know as to whether there is the interest there.

I asked gemarriott about it as I posted. Fingers crossed :)

Boarderlyne

Sergeant
Quite interesting sound recording of a Lancaster bomber raid on Stettin, April 21, 1943.

(Placed in this forum because there is no historical one??)

http://www.iwmcollections.org.uk/media/audio/StettinRaid-airwarfare.mp3

That was fantastic! The most amazing thing about it was how laid back they all sounded. You would have thought they would have been a bit excited about being over enemy territory with more than a few bits of AAA being thrown at them!

wobbly

E-goat Head *****
Administrator
The comment of "I think they are firing at us" followed by "Ah well" shows that these guys just got the job done, no fuss.

R

referee806

Outstanding thread, makes me proud of what my Grandfathers generation actually did, (He flew Lancasters with the RNZAF).

T

TheHogwartsBEngO

check out www.156squadron.com

Somewhere on the site (under photo gallery) there are some scans of a Pathfinder Lanc Tail-gunner's personal Logs - his son has submitted them. During one raid, after dropping their load and circling the Target while the main force dropped, they got fed up with the search lights - so they dropped to low level and (in a Lancaster!)Straifed them!

In another log the young (19yrs) gunner talks about the shrapnell lodged in his turret door and the fact that his hydraulics had been shot away - or that his heated suit didn't work and he was "very cold". Doesn't ever seem to complain though.

Bravery of the highest order and well worth the look.

Found the site while looking up the history of RAF Upwood (where I work)

JFOM

Trekkie Nerd
Hogwarts,

What a superb site! Absolutely brilliant and very, very humbling!

Thankyou!

:pDT_Xtremez_30: