• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Would you go to the World Cup?

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Seting aside the small fortune it would cost you to attend in all respects the news stories that are coming out of Brazil make attending this tournament about as attractive as taking a large bite out of a rancid sh1t sandwich...

Today it's saying 'Don't scream when you are being robbed' as they'll probably kill you (known as "latrocinios" - or robbery that ends in murder"), over the weekend they were warning that a pint of whatever passes for beer could cost you up to £21 during the WC...

Add to that what we know already about about Brazil...that they have nae hair downstairs and quite often have a twig and giggleberries and our own team will be out before they've explored all of their hotels facilities then the question must be asked...is it actually worth it?

Would I fookers! Not even if you bought me the plane and match tickets!

Poor country, with corrupt cops coupled with an influx of rich, drunk tourists. It's going to be mayhem. If you don't get stabbed, you're going to end up getting bummed in some sh***y prison cell because you upset the wrong person.

G

Gord

Not sure that Kai Tai's are roaming around in great numbers in Brazil mate as it is one of those countries that prides itself on machismo but I wouldn't go there just on principal. The Rich are super rich and the poor are living in tin shacks if they are lucky and walls are being erected between the rich and poor sections of towns and cities so that any visitors are kept in the dark as to how bad things are for the poorest in their society. Add to that the corrupt cops and the chances of being mugged that has been mentioned before and I reckon Brazil, unless you are one of the very rich, is a good place to stay the f*ck away from at any time, let alone during a World Cup.

Then again, I feel the same way about Mexico.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
As I believe Football is a puffs game...

I would rather receive a Hydrochloric Acid Enema.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
I would have gone and I had access to tickets through my last employer, they are one of the sponsors.

However, I would have stayed nearby, say Florida, and flown in for the final and back out as soon as I could.

Unfortunately left that employer and my circumstances make it hard for me to get there now.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I have visited Brazil a few times, Sau Paulo and Rio de Janerio areas. Fantastic places and as long as you don't make an @rse of yourself and avoid anywhere and anyone that has a dodgy look or smell you are quite safe.

I'm no real expert on violent crime but I am fairly certain that being done over by a crack-head or drug gangster would have the same effect on you wherever you are - only it would have cost you 100 times more to experience it Rio than in Glasgow, London, Manchester, Berlin...

But to answer the question. No, I am not going. I will be doing my best to go about my life while trying to ignore the media hype and pi55ed-up shave-heads screaming at a telly...

Late & Tired

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I'd go if I could get a ticket for 10 days return.
That way I'd have 10 days of fun and sun and I'd be on the same aircraft back to UK as the England team...

fileeth

Corporal
When you said World up I thought you were discussing the Rugby World up next year.

If that were the case it would be a no brainer and yes I would travel the whole length of the country to watch the matches.
When I realised it was about 'poofball' I thought I'd catch the highlights on TV if Gardener's World or Question Time isn't on. Footballs isn't worth the overpriced effort to follow!!!!!!!!!!!

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
When you said World up I thought you were discussing the Rugby World up next year.

If that were the case it would be a no brainer and yes I would travel the whole length of the country to watch the matches.
When I realised it was about 'poofball' I thought I'd catch the highlights on TV if Gardener's World or Question Time isn't on. Footballs isn't worth the overpriced effort to follow!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree about the Rugby Union World Cup but [puts tin hat on] I've found RL dead boring since the rules changed - it's too like (yawn, zzzz) American Football now. As for footie, well, you could watch paint dry, or you could watch the part-time game - skill, tryers, no prima donnas, no WAGs, players bright enough not to need to be footballers but who love it all the same. Smashing!

Entropy

Sergeant
I'd go if I could get a ticket for 10 days return.
That way I'd have 10 days of fun and sun and I'd be on the same aircraft back to UK as the England team...

I certainly don't have great expectations from them this time round. Being a BCFC fan I am used to the lack of expectation so anything past the group phase will be a bonus to me.

On the topic of going - I think that there would be a high expectation of being robbed. You would have treat it a a night out in Limasol by taking just your spends for the night in cash with your cab fare tucked into you pant (expect trainers to be stolen during mugging).

Off Topic This is my only England story. The team were leaving for Euro 2000 from the BA engineering base. Coach to the side of the chartered A/C. They all pile out to board and say hello to all the engineers and assorted staff hanging around to send them off. One guy is on his phone shouting down it that Kevin Keegan is 3ft in front of him. It sounded as if the guy on the other end didn't believe him. KK overhears this and takes the phone off the guy and says "Your mate is right I am right in front of him" and proceeds to have a chat with the lad on the other end of the phone.

Last edited:

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
I certainly don't have great expectations from them this time round. Being a BCFC fan I am used to the lack of expectation so anything past the group phase will be a bonus to me.

Ashton Gate or St Andrew's (Bristle or Brum)? If the former, you can't have failed to notice Rovers are now in the Conference, have sold half their players but intend to carry on full-time. Good luck with that.

As to the topic, my answer is not unless RoI are playing.