• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Women Piggybacking on Elite Sport

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
I see that the T20 World Cup is about to begin, featuring the world's greatest cricketers competing in a tournament that has generated millions, if not billions of funds for the sport. Its also created global interest amongst people who would never have watched a cricket match that lasted 5 days and nobody won!

However, what irks me is that the womens version is being rammed down our throats, with them piggybacking on every tournament the men play. Ashes last summer, tour to South Africa, and now on the worlds biggest stage in India. There was a big fuss made about Sarah Taylor playing in minor grade cricket in Australia last October, but what wasn't followed up was in the two games she played, she only batted once and scored a duck!

I'm all for womens sport, but until it reaches a level that is mildly comparable with the mens version, it shouldn't be allowed to detract from the main event. By all means, have a T20 world cup for women, but don't have it in the same location at the same time.

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
Women Piggybacking on Elite Sport

I understand where you are coming from however I feel that what they are doing is maximising the publicity and exposure that they can achieve. Is the aim to take anything away from the prestigious male events? No. They are actually only mirroring what happens in other sports with consecutively run events such as tennis and athletics. The main aim is to reach as many females worldwide in order to raise the profile and eventually the following and standard of the sport. Women's football has improved vastly over the years and who's to say that cricket won't follow suit?

In years to come I'd love for my daughter to take an interest in these sports and feel inspired by the women she grows up watching. I for one won't sit there exclaiming it's not as good as mens sport.

Does a female event stop anyone watching and enjoying a male event? No. So what is the problem other than some mild aggravation or irritation probably caused by being stuck in the past? The more money that goes into sport the better. The more people inspired by sport the better. The less people being negative about such things... The better.

This message was sent using my thumb.

Last edited:

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Perhaps the Olympics should also be separated into all male games and all female games. That would stop the females piggy-backing on the better standards produced by the males. They could even be held at different times and perhaps even in different countries.

Exception

Exception

Perhaps the Olympics should also be separated into all male games and all female games. That would stop the females piggy-backing on the better standards produced by the males. They could even be held at different times and perhaps even in different countries.

Except for ladies volleyball

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Don't have a problem with women's sport hanging on and understand that in any sport involving physical activity women won't come any where near the men's standard, only thing that erks me is the way the press treat them as equals and then moans that female sports stars don't earn the same as men, which doesn't reflect sexist rather the commercial realities of life.