• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wives/Girlfriends - Training

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
You get to go home every weekend whilst at RTS these days? (Phase 1)

When I went through 9 years ago I got 1 weekend home (early afternoon finish on the friday, parents picked me up, drove me 150 miles home, had a night out with the mates, a day with the family, and back to halton for sunday evening)

If its still like that (and i think phase 1 is 9 weeks these days) then you need to tell the missus that phase 1 involves you being apart for 2 months (bar the 1 weekend you probably still get off)

As for phase 2, it depends how long phase 2 is for ATC, I know techie phase 2 is long enough to get a quarter for if you're married, if your not married they may demand you live in the block with the rest of your course so you can "muster" every morning for 14 months...(again, techies were forced to do this, my mate who lived in wolves had to live in the block with us) Or they may allow you to live out locally and travel in (try and get the AFCO to ask shawbury on your behalf?)

For a lot of phase 2 you will be able to go home at the weekends I imagine, it was like that at techie school, but a lot of us stayed at Cosford to enjoy being free from parents

If the missus cant stand you being apart for long periods of time (9 weeks basic, and then maybe 5 of the 7 days each week for months on end) then she's not cut out to be a RAF WAG.

But my little brother let his girlfriend ruin his dreams of being in the services, and you let your love for your family (and your dependance on them) ruin your first attempt at getting in the RAF.. If you want it bad enough you wont let it happen again

WRT phase 2.... AFAIK if you join up as a DE ATC you will then go on to do a 10 week ITC at Cranwell. This is the course which allows you to become a Sgt. Is (from what I understand) harder than Phase 1 with working weekends involved, time at Otterburn Ranges and Chartiy weekends. After you pass out of that it's off to Shawbury you go... I cant remember the length of the course but I do know it's nails. I have a friend currently on the course who was already a FOA and she is finding it very hard. Alot of information to take on and remember.

B

blackberryman

WRT phase 2.... AFAIK if you join up as a DE ATC you will then go on to do a 10 week ITC at Cranwell. This is the course which allows you to become a Sgt. Is (from what I understand) harder than Phase 1 with working weekends involved, time at Otterburn Ranges and Chartiy weekends. After you pass out of that it's off to Shawbury you go... I cant remember the length of the course but I do know it's nails. I have a friend currently on the course who was already a FOA and she is finding it very hard. Alot of information to take on and remember.

Thank you for the advice. Yes, you are right - you spend 11 weeks at RAF Halton, 10 weeks at Cranwell for further development training then off to Shawbury.

I am not expecting any of it to be a walk in the park. I am, however, determined and committed.

I am also very interested in RAFP, However... I do not think they are currently recruiting for that.

wolfy

Warrant Officer
Thank you for the advice. Yes, you are right - you spend 11 weeks at RAF Halton, 10 weeks at Cranwell for further development training then off to Shawbury.

I am not expecting any of it to be a walk in the park. I am, however, determined and committed.

I am also very interested in RAFP, However... I do not think they are currently recruiting for that.

You may well be very committed to your girlfriend, and committed to joining up but I am not sure the your level of commitment to the trade because to go from ATC(SNCO) to RAFP is quite a jump.

Being cynical it sounds like you are looking for trades to put tapes on your arm quickly.

Last edited:
B

blackberryman

You may well be very committed to your girlfriend, and committed to joining up but I am not sure the your level of commitment to the trade because to go from ATC(SNCO) to RAFP is quite a jump.

Being cynical it sounds like you are looking for trades to put tapes on your arm quickly.

I understand where you are coming from, but that is not at all the case.

I am very keen on aviation as a whole, I enjoy visiting RIAT each year and am keen on learning about aircraft etc (which I do in my own time). I like the prospects of being an ATC for the job, not the money.

However, my father is in the MOD Police, and I also have a strong passion for the Police. I have applied to join the Specials and am waiting to hear back from that too.

The two have very different salaries (according to the RAF Website) so it is not about rank or status, but about joining a job I will enjoy. I could go for WSOp or Officer (with a degree) if I was only concerned about stripes.

B

blackberryman

I do have another question; I will have to continue paying rent at my flat until my lease expires. Which is something that will be extremely tough whilst on basic training. Does anyone know the approximate salaries whilst carrying out Phase 1 and Phase 2?

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
No pay I'm afraid. You get free food and accommodation. You should be doing it for the love of the job.

tats

Sergeant
I do have another question; I will have to continue paying rent at my flat until my lease expires. Which is something that will be extremely tough whilst on basic training. Does anyone know the approximate salaries whilst carrying out Phase 1 and Phase 2?

Its amazing how useful google can be.....

http://www.armedforces.co.uk/rafpayscales.htm

Your first 6 months will be on £13,644 and I can pretty much guarantee you'll be on emergency tax as it seems to happen for everyone whether you bring in a P45 or not.

After that its £17,014 til yearly increases or qualifications get you more.

I'd advise deciding which trade you want to go for, got to agree with wolfy - ATC Sgt is very different from RAFP

B

blackberryman

Thanks for the advice. Both wages are a considerable drop to what I am earning at present, I certainly would need to consider how faesible it would be to live on that (whilst still paying for rent at my home flat for the girlfriend to stay in whilst I'm training). Full wages do get better, but still wouldn't leave much disposable income if I'm paying digs at an RAF base and rent for the flat.

Anyway, thanks for the info... definitely food for thought. I understand that as time goes by I could can apply for a Degree, and there are ample training opportunities… so going for ATC is not to get a short term monetary fix.
However, due to my previous attempts of getting into the local Police Force and applying to become a special obviously shows my passion for RAFP. I think I need to take a long hard think about what I want to do… and which I will excel in the most. I spoken to the RAF Careers and apparently ATC is “pending” with no current date of reopening, I’m guessing I should not let this be a factor however!