• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wives/Girlfriends - Training

B

blackberryman

Hi All,

I've been browsing the forum and have noticed questions abotu how you got on without your girlfriend/wife etc.

However, I'm interested in turning the question round to hear from any girlfriends/wives etc to hear your side of the story.

I initially joined the RAF when I was 17. I left 6 months later as the job I have applied for didn't appeal to me any more, to be honest - I wasn't mature enough to cope with being away from everyone and it scared me! (Boohoo).

However, I've experienced life a bit more, it's 6 years later and I really want to pursue a career within the RAF as an Air Traffic Controller (SNCO).

I have been with my girlfriend for 18 months now and we have been living together for about a year. She moved from a different county to be with me. She is very supportive about my consideration to join the RAF, etc and I understand during my basic training I will be able to see her at Weekends (if we're allowed home etc).

However, once I finish basic training and hit trade training, what then? Do things change? How did you all find it? The AFCO have been a little vague on whether or not I'd be allowed to find alternative accomodation etc.

Just wondering if any of you lot have been in the same situation.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
Sorry I obviously misunderstood the thread title. I thought this offered guidance on someone could train their wife or girlfriend or both.

Then I realized that this would be Nirvana and that it was, probably, be beyond the collective wisdom of e-Goat.

G

grumpyoldb

Panda eyes. If they haven't got it by then, they probably never will. :pDT_Xtremez_14:

PTR Hoar

Sergeant
Sorry I obviously misunderstood the thread title. I thought this offered guidance on someone could train their wife or girlfriend or both.

Then I realized that this would be Nirvana and that it was, probably, be beyond the collective wisdom of e-Goat.

I too believed this was a thread containing the holy Grail of relationships! Maybe someday.....maybe someday.....

Harry B'Stard

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
First of all Blackberryman welcome to the Goat!:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Secondly, have you already looked through the recruitment forums... as they will answer most of your questions about training matters.

Thirdly, have you started the process of joining the RAF again, or are you just thinking about it. You may have noticed that recruitment is a bit slow at the moment so your original choice of Air Tragic may be a non starter ( I dunno, but I'm sure an AFCO type will be along shortly!).

Anyway, best of luck in whatever happens

HTB

Stax

Flight Sergeant
Blackberryman, get back down the AFCO and let them know the full story. HOWEVER, whilst you are in Phase 2 you will be unlikely to be given permission to live out. Plus do you live near the Unit you will be on Phase 2? (Shawbury I presume) or will your girlfriend have to move again, will she be able to afford to live there? Bottom line is this will be a good test of you and her commitment. Good luck, after 33 years, 10 postings, 2 of which I lived in and commuted weekly, 9 OOA and a myriad of Dets, me and my missus are still together and she is still nursing.

B

blackberryman

Haha, thanks for the funny responses... They've made me smile :) (which is what I was hioping from this thread)!.

I've now renamed the thread.

I've done research on the ATC rule, and whilst i understand during basic training I'll only get weekends/time off with her, once I hit trade training.... do circumstances get better? We're both looking at the bigger picture andd once I'm qualified/posted somewhere, she'll be able to live with me.... Am just curious about the meantime.

G

gemarriott

Blackberryman, get back down the AFCO and let them know the full story. HOWEVER, whilst you are in Phase 2 you will be unlikely to be given permission to live out. Plus do you live near the Unit you will be on Phase 2? (Shawbury I presume) or will your girlfriend have to move again, will she be able to afford to live there? Bottom line is this will be a good test of you and her commitment. Good luck, after 33 years, 10 postings, 2 of which I lived in and commuted weekly, 9 OOA and a myriad of Dets, me and my missus are still together and she is still nursing.

Unlucky mate! I can't get rid of mine either:pDT_Xtremez_42:

tats

Sergeant

Read the book 'don't shoot the dog' it has good techniques on how to train other halves, kids and pets.

B

blackberryman

Thanks for the replies, guys. I sent my last post and there had already been a further 2 replies!

I haven't yet kicked off my application but i did phone up to which they advised they're always looking for NCO Aircrew and ATC. However, as you said.... It may be a non starter if they're not recruiting at all.

We currently live in Gloucestershire, but she would be prepared to get a flat/bedsit to wherever I get posted unless we can live together. In the long term, we'll have kids and she'll possibly be a stay at home mum. But when that will happen I have no idea.

Its great to hear long term relationships do last, we're both very commited. Its just nice to get an insight into what we're getting ourselves into before it happens :) less of a shock and easier to prepare for.... But by no means easy :)

tats

Sergeant
Haha, thanks for the funny responses... They've made me smile :) (which is what I was hioping from this thread)!.

I've now renamed the thread.

I've done research on the ATC rule, and whilst i understand during basic training I'll only get weekends/time off with her, once I hit trade training.... do circumstances get better? We're both looking at the bigger picture andd once I'm qualified/posted somewhere, she'll be able to live with me.... Am just curious about the meantime.

Not unless you're married, which you're apparently not

G

grumpyoldb

Thanks for the replies, guys. I sent my last post and there had already been a further 2 replies!

I haven't yet kicked off my application but i did phone up to which they advised they're always looking for NCO Aircrew and ATC. However, as you said.... It may be a non starter if they're not recruiting at all.

We currently live in Gloucestershire, but she would be prepared to get a flat/bedsit to wherever I get posted unless we can live together. In the long term, we'll have kids and she'll possibly be a stay at home mum. But when that will happen I have no idea.

Its great to hear long term relationships do last, we're both very commited. Its just nice to get an insight into what we're getting ourselves into before it happens :) less of a shock and easier to prepare for.... But by no means easy :)

Don't forget the sense of humour. It's what gets you through training. :pDT_Xtremez_14:

G

gemarriott

you'll find big jugs and her ability to make a decent steak and kidney pie help cement a relationship

G

grumpyoldb

you'll find big jugs and her ability to make a decent steak and kidney pie help cement a relationship

You're making me mouth water now. Wouldn't say no to a steak an' kidney pie either. :pDT_Xtremez_14:

B

blackberryman

Not unless you're married, which you're apparently not

I meant live off site... however, a quick trip to the registry office should sort that out... Haha, just kidding.

Craig855s

Sergeant
You get to go home every weekend whilst at RTS these days? (Phase 1)

When I went through 9 years ago I got 1 weekend home (early afternoon finish on the friday, parents picked me up, drove me 150 miles home, had a night out with the mates, a day with the family, and back to halton for sunday evening)

If its still like that (and i think phase 1 is 9 weeks these days) then you need to tell the missus that phase 1 involves you being apart for 2 months (bar the 1 weekend you probably still get off)

As for phase 2, it depends how long phase 2 is for ATC, I know techie phase 2 is long enough to get a quarter for if you're married, if your not married they may demand you live in the block with the rest of your course so you can "muster" every morning for 14 months...(again, techies were forced to do this, my mate who lived in wolves had to live in the block with us) Or they may allow you to live out locally and travel in (try and get the AFCO to ask shawbury on your behalf?)

For a lot of phase 2 you will be able to go home at the weekends I imagine, it was like that at techie school, but a lot of us stayed at Cosford to enjoy being free from parents

If the missus cant stand you being apart for long periods of time (9 weeks basic, and then maybe 5 of the 7 days each week for months on end) then she's not cut out to be a RAF WAG.

But my little brother let his girlfriend ruin his dreams of being in the services, and you let your love for your family (and your dependance on them) ruin your first attempt at getting in the RAF.. If you want it bad enough you wont let it happen again

Last edited:
B

blackberryman

You get to go home every weekend whilst at RTS these days? (Phase 1)

When I went through 9 years ago I got 1 weekend home (early afternoon finish on the friday, parents picked me up, drove me 150 miles home, had a night out with the mates, a day with the family, and back to halton for sunday evening)

If its still like that (and i think phase 1 is 9 weeks these days) then you need to tell the missus that phase 1 involves you being apart for 2 months (bar the 1 weekend you probably still get off)

As for phase 2, it depends how long phase 2 is for ATC, I know techie phase 2 is long enough to get a quarter for if you're married, if your not married they may demand you live in the block with the rest of your course so you can "muster" every morning for 14 months...(again, techies were forced to do this, my mate who lived in wolves had to live in the block with us) Or they may allow you to live out locally and travel in (try and get the AFCO to ask shawbury on your behalf?)

For a lot of phase 2 you will be able to go home at the weekends I imagine, it was like that at techie school, but a lot of us stayed at Cosford to enjoy being free from parents

If the missus cant stand you being apart for long periods of time (9 weeks basic, and then maybe 5 of the 7 days each week for months on end) then she's not cut out to be a RAF WAG.

But my little brother let his girlfriend ruin his dreams of being in the services, and you let your love for your family (and your dependance on them) ruin your first attempt at getting in the RAF.. If you want it bad enough you wont let it happen again

Hi there,

Thank you for your reply.

When I attended Phase 1 5 years ago, it was only 9 weeks training. Now it was changed to 11 weeks (with an extra 2 weeks at the start for female recruits and some males who may need a helping hand to get started). When we done Phase 1, we were not allowed home for the first 2 weeks, there after it was up to our Flt Commander whether we got to go home at weekends. We did every weekend there after (if we wanted too).

She has said she will be supportive of any time we need to spend together, she understands for around the first year things will be tough, I will be away from home for periods of time whilst training etc. However, once I’m settled... we’ll be able to move in together either on site (if married) or find our own accomodation locally. I’m sure many service personnel do it.

Pikeman

Cider one of the five
1000+ Posts

Blimey, if she can't cope with that, she is going to throw a complete wobbly at dets, 4 month OOA, weekend parades and duties.......mind you if she has large breasts a bit of a wobbly might be enjoyable for you.:pDT_Xtremez_30: