• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wimbledon Duty

Sospan

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Have any Goaters Marshalled at Wimbledon? If so would you recommend it? I have worked at a few major sporting events over the years and enjoyed the experience as one offs.

I understand its done in your own leave.

Dave-exfairy

Warrant Officer
IIRC, it's all done off your own back, leave, food, everything. I did the penultimate Royal Tournament, now that was an experience, very little sleep and stacks of dosh spent.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
A long tme ago, it was that you had to forfeit it, rather than actually take it - which is a little like buying beer for the barman, for the privilege of being in the pub, if you ask me.

duffman

Flight Sergeant
It's in your leave, but you get some cash each day for accom and food I think it's £1k for two weeks.

Just to add I haven't done it, but if your into tennis it seems a good time. Cricket at Lords is done under the same sort of rules.

Last edited:

firestorm

Warrant Officer
Duffman is right. You won't end up out of pocket for a good experiance. All the bods I know who've done Wimbledon have loved it.

mightyhunter

Sergeant
Have any Goaters Marshalled at Wimbledon? If so would you recommend it? I have worked at a few major sporting events over the years and enjoyed the experience as one offs.

I understand its done in your own leave.
Have done Wimbledon since '04 (couldn't make it this year) and it's been a great fortnight. I don't really mind the tennis but it's a great experience. Should add to your other events getting mentioned in your SJAR.
One of my lads asked about it & did it for the first time this year. Loved it.
There's a nice cash incentive but you do have to take your own leave. You could work out a 'deal' with your line management about getting time back in-lieu (Army & RN seem to...).
Social life is good. You can kick the ar$e out of it for the full Championships but you'll be 1) broke, & 2) burnt out in need of a new liver/kidneys!
Good luck applying for next year's. Hope to see you there.

Sospan

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Have done Wimbledon since '04 (couldn't make it this year) and it's been a great fortnight. I don't really mind the tennis but it's a great experience. Should add to your other events getting mentioned in your SJAR.
One of my lads asked about it & did it for the first time this year. Loved it.
There's a nice cash incentive but you do have to take your own leave. You could work out a 'deal' with your line management about getting time back in-lieu (Army & RN seem to...).
Social life is good. You can kick the ar$e out of it for the full Championships but you'll be 1) broke, & 2) burnt out in need of a new liver/kidneys!
Good luck applying for next year's. Hope to see you there.

Cheers for the advice, hopefully see you there!

Kingpin

SAC
'97 or '98, we did a lot of drinking in the Field Gun Bars and worked along side some bods from the Royal Artillery.

I was a few years ahead of you mate. 93'

RAF Riggers in the roof working alongside civvy riggers. Got called nothing but 'Abseil' for three weeks as that was my safety post during shows.

I remember the Gun Crew bars well and with fondness but can't say the same for the horse artillery. Bunch of tossers to a man!

Good times!