• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Widow's pension

rocket scientist

Sergeant
I've got 3 years left until retirement from the RAF when I will be 52.

I'm trying to work out what my requirements for life insurance will be when I leave.

At the moment, I understand that under AFPS05/15 my wife will get a lump sum and an annual pension if die in service.

Question 1 - is this for any reason eg. if I die off duty in a car crash/hangliding/choking on an orange whilst wearing a gimp suit?

Question 2 - what happens if I leave the service and die a year later - will my wife continue to receive my/a pension or will she have to fend for herself?

Last edited:

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts

I'm trying to work out what my requirements for life insurance will be when I leave.

At the moment, I understand that under AFPS05/15 my wife will get a lump sum and an annual pension if die in service.

Question 1 - is this for any reason eg. if I die off duty in a car crash/hangliding/choking on an orange whilst wearing a gimp suit?

Question 2 - what happens if I leave the service and die a year later - will my wife continue to receive my/a pension or will she have to fend for herself?

Join the Forces Pension Society and get answers from the experts.

Vauxhall

Sergeant
FORCES PENSION EXPERT

Q1. Yes unless she has a hand in your demise.

Q2. Her pension comes into payment on your death irrespective of how old she is and how old you are. Her pension will be payable for life.

Teh Wal

Flight Sergeant
Many thanks Vauxhall, so she gets a pension whether I die whilst serving or not then.

It looks like I might be over- insuring myself

Don't forget that what she will receive will not be your full pension but a certain percentage of it. IIRM under '75 it's 50%. However under '05 it's about 62.5%, but it's slightly more complex than a straightforward "62.5%" if your missus is more than 12 years younger than you (in this case the figure is reduced somewhat).
It's worth dropping the various pension scheme booklets to get a more detailed view on things.
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/armed-forces-and-reserve-forces-pension-schemes-guidance-booklets[/FONT]

rocket scientist

Sergeant
Teh Wal - thanks, I've got a rough idea of what she'll get from the annual forecast statements I get through the door. It was just the "death in service" bit I was confused about.