• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who Gets Priority - SAC or Cpl?

Who Gets Priority - SAC or Cpl?

• Sprogs - we're used to being pampered

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • JNCOs - we've earned the fecking right

Votes: 85 80.2%
  • What? I normally talk to the mess manager, he sorts it out

Votes: 17 16.0%

• Total voters

mad_collie

The Other Mods Made Me Do It
Following on from a smally bleating about a JNCO being allocated some decent accomodation before them, what are the thoughts of the general audience?

Should a JNCO have to live in a sh1te transit block so a bleating SAC sprog can live it up in luxury?

PVRisthefuture

Sergeant
I can understand why sprogs want good accommodation, I wanted it when I was a smally, but they won't appreciate it unless they live in the crap first. We've all had to put up with absolute dross, so cpl's should get top pickings, they put up with enough sh!t to get there.

The biggest exception to that rule, and thats scuffers and mirror techs. Rated just below H1N5 in my book, sweepers and cleaners dodgers, that need a kick in the head. Rant off.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
1. The single NCO gets the room automatically. Them's the perks of the jump.
2. ..........Unless it is a Scaley JNCO waiting for a quarter, in which case - sit it out. It won't kill you.

( I am going to edit this just to say that section and squadron blocks are an archaic institution and can corrupt this process - if they are still alive, they are unhealthy things and should be lost forever)

Last edited:

welshjpc

Corporal
As a 30-something erk in my 12th year in the mob, I would like to be considered for a half decent room over a shiny (for example) CPL who has been in 5 years. As well as rank I would like time in to be considered, like it was at Coltishall flats (aah, those were the days)....

I do agree that a cpl who has been in the mob / rank the same(ish) time as me that they would have priority however. That is indeed the perks.

Trusty Adjusty

Corporal
It Depends...

It Depends...

Boxing from the JNCO corner, I would argue that the Cpl should get priority. I have read the smally bleat about accomodation and from that post I can gather that rooms were being left empty until JNCO's took them up - this is wrong and in such circumstance longest in the queue should be allocated in my opinion.

A lot of the problem these days with regards the dilution of the JNCO in terms of respect/responsibility etc, comes from them being treated as no better than a high paid SAC/SAC(T). Cringeworthy as I find it personally, until there are some boundary lines drawn between the 2 - even down to priority accomodation (and it does pain me all you SAC's out there) the role of Cpl's will be further degrodated.

Leaving empty rooms is a disgrace and something that needs looking at. However, having seen both sides of the fence within the last 6 months, there has to be some kind of distinction between the 2 even at accomodation level.

As someone who resides in MQ's this issue will unlikely ever affect me, however, on a recent TMT at Cosford 4 courses of newly promoted Cpl's shared 4 man rooms whilst AMM's on further training courses lived in Super Block or at the very least single man accomodation. On my initial trade training I shared a 6 man room and the fitters had single man rooms!

To be honest I didnt give 2 hoots (the company kept me sane and in the pub), the change of circumstance did amuse me mind - as did the constant banter from the AMM's in the Oakleaf Mess! Enough said.......

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
No better quality room should be left empty "just in case".

There should be a points system for allocating SLA for JRs, based on rank, time served and time at current unit.

Cpls who have been promoted on merit should get more points than the plastic variety with white hats.

Trusty Adjusty

Corporal
Fair one

Fair one

As a 30-something erk in my 12th year in the mob, I would like to be considered for a half decent room over a shiny (for example) CPL who has been in 5 years. As well as rank I would like time in to be considered, like it was at Coltishall flats (aah, those were the days)....

I do agree that a cpl who has been in the mob / rank the same(ish) time as me that they would have priority however. That is indeed the perks.

Very fair comment, a relevant point in my opinion.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Cpls who have been promoted on merit should get more points than the plastic variety with white hats.

Yes, well this is the point most officers will disagree with you on. The very fact that they do not have an established credibility by dint of their time and experience makes the imperitive to seperate them from their principal customers and peers all that more important. Ergo: single accommodation.

It's a sad fact, but some folk need to be more isolated than others.

Stingray

Sergeant
Hate to say it. RHIP. Regardless of trade, ANY Cpl should be entitled to better benefits than an SAC.
Sorry.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts

Unfortunately in our organisation your middle age and length of time it has taken you to not achieve JNCO status means you dont get treated the same as a 24 yr old who has achieved it in half the time.

W

wgaf

Unfortunately in our organisation your middle age and length of time it has taken you to not achieve JNCO status means you dont get treated the same as a 24 yr old who has achieved it in half the time.
Massively dependent on trade and age of joining up.

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
As an SAC i've got nothing against Cpl's being given priority over SAC's even though I will b!tch and moan at times. What I have got a problem with is the rooms being left empty waiting for Cpl's to get posted in. The new SLAM blocks where built for JR's, not just for JNCO's!! When the SLAM blocks where being built the lists where drawn up for occupancy, with the directive being made that there would be a set number of rooms being set aside for each section. When they changed the rules to JNCO's only alot of SAC's have been ****** over, and that is not fair. Yes I know people are going to come out with all the cliches, you signed on the dotted line, RHIP blah de blah....what about if it was a load of Sgt's being ****** over because FS or WO's where being put ahead of them on the list for SLAM.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

Wonky Tonka

Some good arguments on both sides here.

Personally, I think the JNCO's should be afforded the "perk" of having decent accommodation, it's not like there is much else out there to reward us for our service.

What really annoys me is seeing even the newest AC's get treated better than time-served SAC's & Cpls. Having experienced the "joy" of having to share a room with 3 other cpls on a course whilst the AC's were enjoying single-man rooms, it does make me realise that we aren't doing business the way we should.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Unwritten rules

Unwritten rules

Well as a JNCO who jumped straight into a flat at Colt I think you'll find that priority was given to rank, and it wasn't to be JNCO ic either as I didn't have to do that because I was away on det all the time.

I'm sure they could let a few of the rooms go to SACs it seems daft to have rooms sitting there empty, but on the flip side how would you feel being told to vacate your room because a cpl needs it?

In defence of mirror mechs they are substantive cpls and have the right to jump the que.

Scuffers, those with acting unpaid should be separated from the rest of society and put up at a nearby camp site.

Last edited:
H

Hammer

Rooms shouldnt ever be left empty to wait for a JNCO to be posted in but Cpl's should get priority over SAC's everytime. Whether some like it or not the RAF has a rank structure. If it takes you 15 years to get promoted then unlucky, some trades have chief's in who have served 30 + years, they are still outranked by a FS in non tech trades who haveserved 18 + years. Life's not fair, tough really.

OldMedic

Corporal
In a hierarchical structure rank must always count - even if the rank isn't substantive. If not, the system doesn't work.

Yes ... and I too have memories of being messed around by acting Corporal D.I's.

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I think JNCO's should be given priority over SACs, but not to the extent rooms are empty. Once the JNCOs are accommodated then start putting SACs in the empty rooms, once a JNCO is posted in requiring a room then they go straight to the top of the list. I don't like the idea of gaining points for time served at the Unit, I've been at 5 different Units in the last 10 years and this would disadvantage someone like me hugely, why should someone have to live in cr@p forever because the RAF chooses to post them?

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Witterings system was pretty fair, SLAM was allocated on rank and length of service at the station.

Saying that, they had trouble filling the SLAM when it was first built; people couldn't be ar$ed to move; which shows how important most people think having a shiny en-suite room actually is.