• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Whistleblower!

Highflyer

LAC
we need less fannies in the RAF!

we need less fannies in the RAF!

The issues with our current working enviroment/manning situation has been raised several times but it gets so far up the hierachy and they don't raise the issue further for it to be properly adressed (manning).
The hierarchy nowadays are too afraid, the threat of promotion/bad sjar will always ultimately trump most situation when a voice is needed.

G

Gord

The hierarchy nowadays are too afraid, the threat of promotion/bad sjar will always ultimately trump most situation when a voice is needed.
That's not limited to the forces mate, the same thing applies in civvy street, nobody wants to rock the boat, any managers I've ever known who stood up for the employees or tried to make changes that benefited the employees were soon shuffled out the door.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
That's not limited to the forces mate, the same thing applies in civvy street, nobody wants to rock the boat, any managers I've ever known who stood up for the employees or tried to make changes that benefited the employees were soon shuffled out the door.

Amen to that...my upper echelons are just as self-serving as when in except they are somewhat less subtle with it. They command higher wages than out airships could ever dream of and will tread on people's heads to get there.

To steal a B42 catch phrase 'what's the first rule?' The answer is 'keep every email you get from them' as one day it might get them off your back!

That said I've pretty much topped out so will stick up for my teams for which I see them wondering why I'm doing it...

Highflyer

LAC

That is true but in civvy street less people are actively seeking promotion. And alot of the time when an idea is that benifits the employees in civvy street it can be financially worse for the company, which is why they can get shoved out the door, the RAF does not really have to focus on finances that much but still not much gets changed.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
the RAF does not really have to focus on finances that much but still not much gets changed.

Wrong. Every budget holder in the RAF soon has an ******** twitching like a rabbits nose when the next big idea comes through. That pot of gold isn't bottomless and it's set to get even smaller next year......

Highflyer

LAC
Wrong. Every budget holder in the RAF soon has an ******** twitching like a rabbits nose when the next big idea comes through. That pot of gold isn't bottomless and it's set to get even smaller next year......

It's not wrong thanks! I'm not talking about a budget holder at executive level! I'm talking more about management level where changes could be made to make morale better in 90% of the RAF's workplaces

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
It's not wrong thanks! I'm not talking about a budget holder at executive level! I'm talking more about management level where changes could be made to make morale better in 90% of the RAF's workplaces

Oh right, I must have been dreaming when my iii's to request a drying room for wet kit (we don't have one and we work outdoors a lot), more terminals for JPA / ESS, effective Comms for Linewalkers, more toolkits fit for purpose etc have had 'budgetary restrictions' cited as one or more of the reasons used to sink them. :pDT_Xtremez_15:

G

Gord

What, no drying rooms? Every barrack block I ever lived in had a drying room on each floor, it's also where we used to iron our kit and press our uniforms on a huge wooden table. Surely to God if they don't want to put electric outlets in there, at least a radiator would do the job, after all they still have to heat the rest of the bloody building so what's one more radiator in a small dedicated room.

ps It's also where we would sometimes play poker or brag without the worry of prying eyes spotting the cash on the table, activities that were frowned upon at the time.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
What, no drying rooms? Every barrack block I ever lived in had a drying room on each floor, it's also where we used to iron our kit and press our uniforms on a huge wooden table. Surely to God if they don't want to put electric outlets in there, at least a radiator would do the job, after all they still have to heat the rest of the bloody building so what's one more radiator in a small dedicated room.

ps It's also where we would sometimes play poker or brag without the worry of prying eyes spotting the cash on the table, activities that were frowned upon at the time.

The original drying room is now used to store large tool kits / test equipment. So folk can't store wet kit in there anymore as allowing unauthorised access contravenes the MAP-01.

We make do with a small room with a small radiator which is as much use as tits on a fish - especially if the linies have just been caught out in a deluge of rain.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The original drying room is now used to store large tool kits / test equipment. So folk can't store wet kit in there anymore as allowing unauthorised access contravenes the MAP-01.

We make do with a small room with a small radiator which is as much use as tits on a fish - especially if the linies have just been caught out in a deluge of rain.

Proper harrier lineys used to dry off their normally wet clothing by sitting behind a harrier prior to taxi.

It appears that management have gone soft!

And Spearmint, aren't you forgetting that "rules are fools and for the guidance of the wise"?

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
And Spearmint, aren't you forgetting that "rules are fools and for the guidance of the wise"?

Not when you have an old school Wobbly Orange with eyes like a sh1t house rat and one who does not miss a trick! :pDT_Xtremez_15:

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
So essentially what you're saying Spearmint is that someone completed Human Factors training, learned about how nearly every incident can be traced back to a break down in procedures and then implemented a policy where those Human Factors are much more likely to come into play. All because there's now so little money we can't afford to build a f**king shed to store tools in. When this is brought up at the Station Execs meeting by said WO is someone actually standing up and saying "I'll take the hit on this one if it all goes wrong"?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Joe_90: I'd like to think that is the case with respect to the relevent person assuming that risk, and falling on their sword if it all goes Pete Tong. After all, in recent years a well known Bomber Sqn that used to 'Leads the Field' lost a WO and a SENGO over how bad things got over many issues including Human Factors, working practices and achievable targets. The same again happened to a Fighter Sqn @ a secret base in deepest Lincolnshire just this year.

Highflyer

LAC
Oh right, I must have been dreaming when my iii's to request a drying room for wet kit (we don't have one and we work outdoors a lot), more terminals for JPA / ESS, effective Comms for Linewalkers, more toolkits fit for purpose etc have had 'budgetary restrictions' cited as one or more of the reasons used to sink them. :pDT_Xtremez_15:

again i'm talking about manager level where there not trusted with any type of money! The type of stuff you are talking about has to be signed off at a higher level

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
Not sure if and when things may have changed, but having spent the last month or so out on Shader I can honestly say the Sgts Mess at Cyprus is one of the best I've eaten in in years. Not too many choices but the quality and quantity is good. Costs me €1 a day to eat there or I can go to the JRs mess and eat for free.

Accomodation is tight and I can only see it getting worse and can see Bloodhound or Eliskopi getting used at some point.

My Biggest gripe is that the station permanent staff still think they are on holidet with their 1/2 a day jobs when there's actually a 24 hour op going on around them. Some sections are downright rude and unhelpful.

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Max. Doesn't surprise me one bit. When I was out there the priority for most people where I worked was "Secondary Duties" which effectively became their Primary Duty and this was encouraged by the management. The whole place needs a cultural mind set change for this to take place I'm afraid.

sausage2

Decorated war hero
Administrator
1000+ Posts
The problem is that the station permanent staff are not on Op’s. We are neither scaled nor staffed with the required manning to support a 24 hour Op. If the permanent staff were put on an OP footing, then these issues could be addressed and acted upon. An EAW is meant to be more or less self sufficient. From my point of view the support service that is provided to the Op Shader personnel is our main priority, and the bulk of my work. You cannot realistically expect sections that are manned to cover a day shift only to be at the beck and call of Shader personnel 24 hours a day.

sausage2

Decorated war hero
Administrator
1000+ Posts
My point is still valid. We do support OPs as much as we can with the limited manpower. Despite the mission statement we are still not scaled to supply 24 Hr support from every section. I'd be interested to hear what sections are failing, as there are duty people on call to assist with most scenarios.