• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which groups/artistes have you seen in concert?

My first concert was back in the 60s at the Newcastle Odeon Cinema, headliners were Bo Diddley, Little Richard & the Everly Brothers. The Rolling Stones were bottom of the bill and only sang two songs - "Come On" and "Not Fade Away," very good cover versions of Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly songs. Everly Brothers in concert at the Newcastle City Hall in 1983 during their Reunion Tour and at the Newcastle City Hall on 15 November 2005, still great harmonies.

The Hollies, Searchers, Freddie & The Dreamers, Gerry & The Pacemakers, Billy J Kramer & The Dakotas at Lincoln between '61 and '65.

The Supremes, Little Stevie Wonder, Martha & The Vandellas, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles and The Temptations on the first Tamla Motown tour of Great Britain at the Newcastle City Hall in 1962. The venue was approx a quarter full, today any one of these groups/artistes would sell out any big venue within hours.

A concert in Lincoln in 1964 with Chuck Berry headlining, support acts included Long John Baldry & The Hoochie Coochie Men, Zoot Money's Big Roll Band & The Graham Bond Organisation. Graham Bond's group included Ginger Baker on drums and Jack Bruce on bass guitar, they later left to form Cream with Eric Clapton. Chuck Berry in the late 90's at Sunderland Empire.

My favourite group of all time the Beach Boys in concert four times at the Newcastle City Hall, Nov 1966, Dec 1968, May 1972 and 1977. Early in 1972, the band hired drummer Ricky Fataar and guitarist Blondie Chaplin, two members of a South African rock band named The Flame. Captain & Tennille became touring backup musicians for the Beach Boys. In addition to touring with the Beach Boys, Captain & Tennille appeared on their albums of the period, including Sunflower and Holland.

The Beach Boys Band at the Newcastle City Hall on 9 April 2008 - only Mike Love & Bruce Johnstone remain from the original band.

Emerson, Lake & Palmer in concert at the Newcastle Odeon Cinema in 1971 and at the Newcastle City Hall in 1992.

Led Zeppelin at the Newcastle City Hall in 1972, deaf for two days but well worth it.

The Who (Best Rock Band Of All Time) in 1973 at the Newcastle Odeon Cinema when they released "Quadrophenia," and in November 2000 with Zak Starkey (Ringo's son) on drums at the Newcastle Arena.

The Osmonds on 14 April 1980 at the Newcastle City Hall, the whole family straight from Las Vegas, laser show, very professional.

Pat Benatar on 27 January 1983 at the Newcastle City Hall.

Whitesnake in 1997 and June 2006 at the Newcastle City Hall & with Def Leppard at the Newcastle Arena on 24 June 2008.

Cher at the Newcastle Arena in 1998, great voice, 9 costume changes made the concert longer than usual.

ZZ Top at the Newcastle Arena in 2003.

My favourite female singer Shania Twain in concert five times. The first time was in Glasgow, Scotland in 1999, she was incredible, so was her band. Saw her in Hyde Park London on 12 July 2003 and at the Newcastle Arena on 28 July 2003, 14 February 2004 and 11 March 2004.

Steve Vai on 25 June 2004 at the Newcastle City Hall. Steve Vai was outstanding, he's a guitar virtuoso. l also saw him in concert at the Newcastle City Hall on 22nd October 2005.

The Shadows, the world's best instrumental group at the Newcastle City Hall in May 1989 and on their Final Tour in 2004.

Bonnie Riatt on 6 July 2004 at the Newcastle City Hall.

Deep Purple on 11 September 2004 at the Newcastle City Hall. l also saw them at the Newcastle Arena with Styx & Thin Lizzy on 21 April 2007.

Robert Plant and his band Strange Sensation on 21 October 2004 at the Newcastle City Hall, l also saw him in concert at The Sage, Gateshead on 30 October 2005

Brian Wilson, writer of the vast majority of Beach Boys songs. In January 2002 at the London Royal Festival Hall, his 10 piece band which included "The Wondermints" were the best l've ever heard, the voices and sounds were so good that the "Pet Sounds Live" CD/DVD was recorded over the 4 nights and released in the UK a week before it was released in the USA, which was a first.

Bon Jovi in August 2000 at the Gateshead International Stadium, an excellent rock 'n' roll band.

Thunder at the Newcastle City Hall on 20 January 2006.

Journey at the Newcastle City Hall on 2 March 2007 & at the Newcastle Arena on 28 June 2008

Foreigner at the Newcastle City Hall on 10 November 2007.

The Moody Blues at the Newcastle Arena on 23 September 2008.

airframe doctor

Corporal
The Mission
The Mighty Lemon Drops
Living Colour
Anthrax
KISS
Megadeth
Gun's N Roses
Iron Maiden
Helloween.........All 1988

The Wonder Stuff
The Cure.......1989

The Wonder Stuff
Kingmaker
Swervedriver......1992

The Shamen-1992

Fu Fu Valve

Sergeant
Def Leppard - Hysteria tour, Loverboy as support.... 3 songs golfballed off stage
Metallica - Black Album tour
Joe Satriani - Flying in a Blue Dream tour, Steve Salas as support
Mr Big - Lean Into It tour (my bird at the time thought it was all acoustic!!!!)
Bon Jovi - Lost Highway tour

stingray888

Sergeant
Beatles x 2

Stones x 2

Hollies

Bob Dylan

Ike & Tina Turner

Unit 4 + 2 (really)

Kinks

Some I've forgotton cause it was ages ago.

8:15fromOdium

Sergeant
Echo & the Bunnymen / Woodentops '85
The Smiths '86 (whilst at Swinditz)
The Alarm '87
The Seers / The Wonderstuff '88 (best gig)
Simple Minds '89
Neil Young, Lou Reed '90
EMF, Jesus Jones '91
Manic Street Preachers, EMF, Public Enemy '92
Tori Amos '93
The Cure '94
The Eagles '96
The Corrs '99 (in the US, no-one in the states had heard of them and there were about 30 other people there)

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
The Hollies (Reading, 1964-ish)
Jet Harris & Friends
The Swingin' Blue Jeans
Creedo Belle
Poco (1977 at York Uni)
Eric deLaney Band
Roy Orbisson
Neil Sedaka
Crosby, Stills & Nash

theladf

Cynic & Conspiracy Theorist
Bad Manners (in the Crossbow at Bruggen)

The Damned- While at Aldergrove saw them in Belfast, pretty good line up Dave Vanion (his girlfriend was on the axe) Rat Scabies and the Captain were there, in the day Belfast was broken up into different colours on the out-of-bounds map, not saying we were in a red area but it was very dark orange!!!!!!:pDT_Xtremez_19:

Red Hot Chilli Peppers - at the Madjeski in Reading, supporting was Ben Harper and having never heard of him before I now have several of his albums.

Foo Fighters - Wembley

The Reverend Horton Heat - Astoria 2 London (how many will have heard of them???? without reverting to google) supported by Nashville Pussy!!!! :pDT_Xtremez_19:

Harry B'Stard

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Only been to one gig. Not really got into it, but would love to give Download a try one year!:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Went with a mate to watch DragonForce when they played in Lincoln last year. Top night out, even if it's not really my favourite band.

However, can't wait to see a relatively new Australian band called Karnivool when they tour the UK in December. I have both their albums and haven't listened to much else since last year!

HTB

Lamptramp

An ex-DF - in dog rescue!
Bee Gees (Waddo)
Walker Bros (Waddo)
Flowerpot Men (Waddo)
Searchers (Waddo)

Baron Nights (Coningsby)
Nice (Boston)
Moody Blues (Albert Hall)

Mungo Jerry (Holland)
Free (Holland)

Drifters (BIC)
Patti Boule (BIC)
Geno Washington (BIC)
Moody Blues - twice (BIC)
Ronan Keating (BIC)
10 CC (Kings Theatre Portsmouth)
David Essex - three times (two wives)
James Blunt - Portsmouth Guildhall
Boyzone - Brighton Arena
Wonderland - Brighton Arena

Last edited:

Biggus86

LAC
Only been to one gig. Not really got into it, but would love to give Download a try one year!:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Went with a mate to watch DragonForce when they played in Lincoln last year. Top night out, even if it's not really my favourite band.

However, can't wait to see a relatively new Australian band called Karnivool when they tour the UK in December. I have both their albums and haven't listened to much else since last year!

HTB

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but was this with Sabbaton and Sylosis? 2 Excellent bands

First gig/show/concert was Korn/Puddle of Mudd back in 2003, but been to 100's since.

Highlights of last year was Kiuas (Glasgow Ivory Blacks), Sylosis/Exit Ten (Birmingham 02) and Sylosis again 2 weeks later in Wolves.
Off to see an American DJent band Periphery in Leeds next week and Sylosis again 2 weeks later in Birmingham again.

If your into your metal then i highly suggest Sylosis, a great new band, been around a few years but there finally getting there break. And as newer genres go, Periphery has a really tight and technical guitar sound aswell as some great clean vocals.

Good job I've got a missus whos a big a gig freak as I am haha. :pDT_Xtremez_30:

sid the squid

Sergeant
glitter band - 1976 (only 16 at the time so that's my excuse)

and from various years in the 80's
Adam & the Ants - surprisinlgly good
Boomtown Rats - good
Human Leauge - Dissapointing
Ultravox - twice - brilliant
Frank Zappa - good
Flock of Seagulls - cant rememer much was p*ssed out of my skull

Pink Floyd on their Division Bell tour 1994 at the olympic stadium in Berlin - Awsome

not much untill the noughties
The Pretenders - Ranged from utter sh*te to not bad
Midge Ure - excellent

Keane - sherwood pines last june - fantastic
War of the Worlds musical event december 10 - unbelievable

and of course one of the best bands ever
Mechanical HorseTrough !!!

UFO
Gillan
Ultravox
Madonna (twice)
Duran Duran - Scissor sisters support
The Verve
Oasis - The Coral Support
Metallica
Madness
Take That - Lady GaGA support
Robbie Williams - ABC support
Linken Park
Limp Biskett
Attack Attack
Here and now Tour (Belinda Carlisle/Howard Jones/China Crisis etc)
Gary Glitter.....before the obvious happened.
Girls Allowed - Freeby at Brize
EMF

Human League most recent last year in Bristol....class still!

Tickets to Specials this year!

UFO
Gillan
Ultravox
Madonna (twice)
Duran Duran - Scissor sisters support
The Verve
Oasis - The Coral Support
Metallica
Madness
Take That - Lady GaGA support
Robbie Williams - ABC support
Linken Park
Limp Biskett
Attack Attack
Here and now Tour (Belinda Carlisle/HOWARD JONES/China Crisis etc)
Gary Glitter.....before the obvious happened.
Girls Allowed - Freeby at Brize
EMF

Human League most recent last year in Bristol....class still!

Tickets to Specials this year!

A Mancunian chum of mine was on his fitters down at Halton in the early 80s.

He was a good musician and was gigging round the pubs at weekend as a duo with a civvie guy.

As he reached the end of his fitters the civvie suggested he try to leave the RAF and concentrate on his music by going full time with him.

"Naw....more security as a Junior Magician...sorry" he told him.

He subsequently told me he didnt give it full consideration because he didnt think the guy was that talented

The civvie???...........HOWARD JONES!!!!!.

6 months later he charted.........6 months after that he was touring America.

Que 1 extremely gutted Rigger Junior Magician!!...........After his fitters he was posted back to the line on rects and every time Howard Jones was played on the radio all the lineys used to sing along at the top of there voices............he was spewing!!:pDT_Xtremez_09:

I am also off to see the Specials this year in Glasgow.:pDT_Xtremez_14:

Last edited:

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Reading-80-advert-350.jpg

Some of this (the sober bits....)

then…….

John Miles - Reading
Steeleye Span - Reading
Quo – Brussels
Ash – Pepsi Szigert
Eagle eyed cherry - Pepsi Szigert
Guano Apes - Pepsi Szigert
Bowie – Vienna (the best, without a shadow of a doubt)
David Gray - Vienna
B52’s – Small-town US somewhere
Flo & M – (excellent)
Black eyed peas – (Good)
Bat for lashes......

Last edited:

sonofhacker

Trekkie Nerd
Airbourne
Billy Talent
Reel Big Sea
Stone Gods