• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where can i find a forum for Gen Tech (m)

A

A Crusty Demon

Haha, nicely played thank you Sausage! :pDT_Xtremez_14:

G

grumpyoldb

Ah, a "Wheel tappers, shunters and door slammers forum". :pDT_Xtremez_14:

Bignick

Corporal
As the title says im looking for a forum exclusivre to gen techs, i have had a look on the trade specific list but im not too accustom to the RAF slag for each trade.

(im sorry if i have posted this in the wrong forum)

Just realised you are a new joiner entering Phase 1 training - good luck m8

Just so you know the history as to the suggested naming convention....

General Technician Mechanical or Gen Tech (M) - M is bracketed because it is an interim trade, is fairly new. Before this there was 2 trades:
General Technician Ground Support Equipment - Gen Tech GSE and
Mechanical Transport Technician - MT Tech
These 2 trades had 60%+ skill overlap and were therefore amalgamated to save costs and to save the MT trade following introduction of lease hire 'white fleet' vehicles. Thats not a dig at MT Techs BTW, just a statement of cold fact (sorry)!

The various trades in the RAF are grouped together in trade groups (TG) eg aircraft trades are now all TG1. MT Tech were in the same TG as MT drivers TG6 and following assimilation they moved to the General Engineering trade group 5.

Trade Group 5 has, in today's reality, 3 trades in it:

Gen Tech (M) - heavies - superhero fix anything anywhere types
Gen Tech E - Electricians or Leckies, Dog $haggers etc. Lazy gits whose natural habitat is leant against radiators in minor E bays. Never available for Friday afternoon clean up.
Gen Tech WS - Workshops - Metal Bashers. They do welding, turning, milling etc. Excellent trade, really handy, unfortunately they don't deploy enough and may be in for a shock come the next redundancy round. I think they are one of the few trades that save the RAF money as they can manufacture aircraft parts instead of buying at horrendous expense from industry. unfortunately the MOD is very short sighted and will probably ignore this as these days Depth Maintenance is considered non-core and is out-sourced.

Gen Tech M & E tend to be labeled as Geffries (because we tend to work in GEF General Engineering Flight - though these tend to be called Support Engineering Flight (SEF) these days, the metal bashers also reside there) or Grippers - shortened from Ground Equippers. There are probably several less savoury names that I won't go into. Needless to say these are borne of jealousy

So endith the lesson

Nick

Last edited:

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
The reason leckies can't be found on clean up Nick is because we have nothing to clean up. You big manky gorillas spend the week sloshing oil everywhere while those of us who are paid to think fault find and change a few electronic boards. We then need the time to rest our superior minds for next weeks challenges. :pDT_Xtremez_14:

mick-a-nick

Corporal
To all the mods and especially Sausage 2, thank you for the response.

Big Nick, The White Fleet was not the only onset that threatened MT Techs. There was once a project called ASSP which threatened both GEF and MTMS with GEF going to take a massive hit. It was then that amalgamation was brought to the fore. A certain Flt Lt now in the southern hemisphere drove against the project and proposed the joining of the ground trades as in the Australian forces.
That part needs inserting into your lesson for future preachings.
cup of corrrfeee

Last edited:
A

A Crusty Demon

Thanks for all that BigNick, its cleared up alot :pDT_Xtremez_14:

Bignick

Corporal
To all the mods and especially Sausage 2, thank you for the response.

Big Nick, The White Fleet was not the only onset that threatened MT Techs. There was once a project called ASSP which threatened both GEF and MTMS with GEF going to take a massive hit. It was then that amalgamation was brought to the fore. A certain Flt Lt now in the southern hemisphere drove against the project and proposed the joining of the ground trades as in the Australian forces.
That part needs inserting into your lesson for future preachings.
cup of corrrfeee

I am aware of ASSP but the main driver was as stated, I can change wording from Save MT trade to ensure continued engineering support for dwindling green fleet but it means the same at the end of the day. Personally it think the Gen Tech (M)s are a far better trade than either GSE or MTT so when all is said and done, it's a good thing. My only lingering concern is the massive breadth of equipment they have to be an SME on, seems risky to me!

Last edited:

daspeedz

LAC
Thanks sausage!

And I thought GEF leckies were only there to hold heavies tools for them and lick battery terminals! ;)

S

Smart and witty username

Hi all,

Just like to say thanks for all the info, definitely sold the Gen Tech (M) trade to me.

daspeedz

LAC
It's good to hear we've had a positive influence.....never thought I'd be associated with a positive influence!

J

JagCabMan

The reason leckies can't be found on clean up

Please don't tell me the Leckies are still missing at cleanup time! Nothing changes, and I have been out 16 years !!!!

Nick
ex Gen-Tech-GSE