• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

When You Hit 55

Captain Kirk

Corporal
I’m nearly there and have a question for fellow goaters that have passed this point.
I have a job, so my EDP is taxed under the code BR, which I get and my tax allowances are connected to my salary.
I’m 55 soon so am interested in finding out what my new EDP is in case I need to present it as an income for a loan etc. Because it’s coded BR Equinity won’t send me a new tax code, and all I will have to deal with is an increased payment which I guess I can reverse engineer?
The solution is to call them after I’m 55, but just calling out to see if there’s experience on this in the meantime.
Another question I have is concerning the CPI increases I’ll get from 2 years EDP. I left April 21, but birth month is July. Does the 10.1% get pro rata’d or because I’m already in receipt of an EDP do I get the whole 10.1%.
Like my complete office, I will be joining the FPS again nearer October for the razor sharp advice, but I don’t think they need my dumbass questions I’ve asked here.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
It may take a while to wade past the chatter to the bits you need but there could be some gen hiding in this 2021 pension increase thread.

Captain Kirk

Corporal
Thanks mate. No letter yet, colleague at work turned 55 last month and didn’t get one either.
He was commissioned and has always got a statement from equinity each month stating how much his EDP will be for that month.
I wasn’t commissioned and have had the odd tax code change when my EDP was the primary income.
Is there a tax benefit to having one or the other as a primary income?

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
What does EDP, CPI and FPS mean? I'm guessing BR is basic rate.
EDP is Early Departure Payment, its basically your payment from leaving until 55
CPI is the Consumer Price Index which pensions are aligned to for growth used to be RPI, Retail Price Index
FPS is the Forces Pension Society

Deltaitem

Corporal
I’m nearly there and have a question for fellow goaters that have passed this point.
I have a job, so my EDP is taxed under the code BR, which I get and my tax allowances are connected to my salary.
I’m 55 soon so am interested in finding out what my new EDP is in case I need to present it as an income for a loan etc. Because it’s coded BR Equinity won’t send me a new tax code, and all I will have to deal with is an increased payment which I guess I can reverse engineer?
The solution is to call them after I’m 55, but just calling out to see if there’s experience on this in the meantime.
Another question I have is concerning the CPI increases I’ll get from 2 years EDP. I left April 21, but birth month is July. Does the 10.1% get pro rata’d or because I’m already in receipt of an EDP do I get the whole 10.1%.
Like my complete office, I will be joining the FPS again nearer October for the razor sharp advice, but I don’t think they need my dumbass questions I’ve asked here.
I'd say there's no such thing as a dumbass question, especially when it concerns your pension, and provided they don't actually dock your payments for asking FPS said question, then ask them.

Captain Kirk

Corporal
Got a pay slip from equinity with one day to go. Showed present payment and new payment. That’s for a partial new month payment. Pension is paid on 21st, birthday was 25th, so it will jump again next month.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Ball park - how much was the rise?
It's different for everyone and in simple terms its complicated. Many variables are at play but.. assuming you left at 45 and commuted as much cash as possible then your pension would remain unchanged for the 10 years until you reach 55. At 55 your pension would increase to what it would have been if you hadn't commuted anything at all. In addition it would rise by the yearly rate of inflation on a compound scale. So 10 years of static pension would rise on your 55th birthday in two different ways. The actual amount of increase depends on how the rate of inflation behaves over that hypothtetical 10 year period and how much you commuted in the first place.

Allegedly

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
compound impact plus removal of commuting, 89% still seems high though.

Mug?

Flight Sergeant
Bit late to this one as sounds like OP got the answer in the letter.
I would be interested to hear how much difference the 2 years made?
For 05 EDP I'd expect age 55 figure to be Half again on top of existing. 75% up from 50%
I'm currently predicting for my EDP to be a 100% increase (double) at age 55. 15 years after I left.

Captain Kirk

Corporal
21.7% was my jump. Left April21.
This includes 2 CPIs and the jump up to 75% of my real pension which will be age 65 and part age 67.

foxOneFive

Corporal
Just thought about it and my birthday is end of March, so probably got the annual increase added on also, whatever it was 4 years ago