• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

When I was a kid

Obi Wan

Sergeant
WE WAS BRUNG UP PROPER!!

"And we never had a whole Mars bar until 1993"!!!
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL WHO WERE BORN IN THE
1930's 1940's, 50's, 60's and early 70’s!
First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos...
They took aspirin, ate blue cheese, raw egg products, loads of bacon and processed meat, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes or cervical cancer.
Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets or shoes, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.
As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.
We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.
Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonalds, KFC, Subway or Nandos.
Even though all the shops closed at 6.00pm and didn't open on a Sunday, somehow we didn't starve to death!
We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.
We could collect old drink bottles and cash them in at the corner store and buy Toffees, Gobstoppers, Bubble Gum and some bangers to blow up frogs with.
We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soft drinks with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because.........
WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!
We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.
No one was able to reach us all day. And we were OK.
We would spend hours building our go-carts out of old prams and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. We built tree houses and dens and played in river beds with matchbox cars.
We did not have Play stations, Nintendo Wii , X-boxes, no video games at all, no 999 channels on SKY ,
no video/dvd films,
no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no
Lawsuits from these accidents.

Only girls had pierced ears!

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

You could only buy Easter Eggs and Hot Cross Buns at Easter time...

We were given air guns and catapults for our 10th birthdays,

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!
Mum didn't have to go to work to help dad make ends meet because we didn't need to keep up with the Jones's!

Not everyone made the rugby/football/cricket/netball team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!! Getting into the team was based on
MERIT

our teachers used to hit us with canes and gym shoes and throw the blackboard rubber at us if they thought we weren't concentrating.
We can string sentences together and spell and have proper conversations because of a good, solid three R's education.
Our parents would tell us to ask a stranger to help us cross the road.
The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.
They actually sided with the law!

Our parents didn't invent stupid names for their kids like 'Kiora' and 'Blade' and 'Ridge' and 'Vanilla'

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO
DEAL WITH IT ALL !

Are YOU are one of them?
CONGRATULATIONS!
You had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

You might also want to forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

:pDT_Xtremez_14:

L

Little Tronk

Wonder how many youngsters today read this and go 'Yeah right LoL is if whatever!pmsl'

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
Here's a thought. When all that was true, they said one in ten people will suffer from some form of cancer.
A few nights ago I heard that number has increased to one in three.
I work in a office of six, according to statistics, one is almost certainly gay (one in five, allegedly) but two will contract cancer :pDT_Xtremez_21::pDT_Xtremez_09:

Oh! :pDT_Xtremez_06:
(That's the clean version of the single word I would have used in the pigs bar!)

T

The Masked Geek

When all that was true, they said one in ten people will suffer from some form of cancer.

There'll be a few teenagers out there wondering how one in TEN is less than one in THREE. :pDT_Xtremez_14:

Here's a thought. When all that was true, they said one in ten people will suffer from some form of cancer.
I work in a office of six, according to statistics, one is almost certainly gay (one in five, allegedly) but two will contract cancer :pDT_Xtremez_21::pDT_Xtremez_09:

Oh! :pDT_Xtremez_06:
(That's the clean version of the single word I would have used in the pigs bar!)

Having been to your office I'd say thats a fair reflection.

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
As a "Baby Boomer" I agree with the list.
It was once said the one out of ever three is sub-clinically neurotic.
Now look round your office (there were only two in mine).

Rambling Sid

Sergeant
WE WAS BRUNG UP PROPER!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.
No one was able to reach us all day. And we were OK.

:pDT_Xtremez_14:

You have to be joking, around our way there was the Moms network, no telephones but if you were a couple of streets away and somehow screwed up, your mother knew about it before you got home.

Killer Queen

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
I am not quiet that old (born late 70's) I whole heartedly agree with the points made.

I am not aware it has been to my detriment.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I remember getting thrown off the school bus for swearing I had the audacity to say bl@@dy. Tried to say I was not well the next morning my mum didn't believe me. I told her what had happened and she marched me to the bus stop and asked the driver if it was true, he said yes and I got walloped there and then.

Nowadays the language off kids is disgusting, you'd end up suing the bus driver and company for throwing you off the bus and most probably your parents would get 300 years inside for child cruelty cos some do-gooder would report them and the social would be around.

I was a 60's baby.. I was supposed to make the marriage get back on track and they separated 3 yrs on so figured I was one hell of a baby ;-) but I was left outside in the pram and my mum moaned no one ever stole me... my eldest sister had to take me to school, she was 7 and I was 5... we had to drink that awful warm school milk... we were left to do school cross country albeit with bags of hidden sweets and skipping back home to run back to school for the finish line so to speak.

We lived with dads curly perm and smell of brute while listening to Shirley Bassey.. we piled as many in a mini car as you could get with two springer spaniels for friday night fish and chips out of newspaper and we didnt know what drugs were.

We sat silently while dad ticked off his football coupon and went swimming in the local weir when we promised we wouldn't. We got on the bus with the conductress Rosie shouting the stops to make sure we got off on the right one and mum had a glare to make the biggest of men cower.

Twenty years on I didn't dare leave the kids outside a shop, curly perms didn't have to be left unwashed for a week smelling the house out and suddenly school milk cost 60p a week. A comic had risen from 20p to £1.50 and a 25p bag of chips was over a quid.

And now?? my eldest two lads (22/20) had to teach me about drugs!! fizzy pop had changed to alco pop, and knives used for fishing and bark stripping suddenly became weapons. Babies are stolen and big brother watches all the time. Kids can't play out now due to fast cars and guns and bullies pending where you live.

Think my lad summed it up last year when he said "Mum, I don't think I want kids if this is the way society is going"

Give me the flares, curly perm and brute any day !!!

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
Dont forget tank tops,mullets and Hi Karate!:pDT_Xtremez_19:
The smell of Old Spice will always remind me of my Dad.
Going to the cinema in the morning, missing the start of the film but going in anyway. Watching the cartoon, the "b" feature then all of the main feature again. If it was a good programme, sitting through it twice. all for sixpence (or 2 1/2 new pennies after decimalisation).
Scouts doing bob a job for.... a bob (a shilling, that's 5 new pence after decimalisation)
The open air swimming pool at Stowmarket, swimming in the rain because as a kid you realise you're about to get wet anyway. You left your clothes in the cubicle and no-one stole your stuff.
Swimming in the river despite the legend of the monster Pike.... admitedly it was only because our raft sank :pDT_Xtremez_31:
Fighting "Crusader" battles with ply wood swords and shields our Dads had made us. Telling mum the bruises were from falling over playing football.
RAF shoes for school because you were incapable of wearing them more than two days without schoolyard football wrecking them!
Nicking hot cakes off the cooling rack on the windowsill
Running for your life thinking she WAS going to skin you alive when she caught you.
Cold mornings on a river bank fishing with Dad when you'd rather be in bed.
sheets and blankets, none of this quilt rubbish.
Hot tomato soup from a flask at fireworks displays put on by the station armourers, while watching a bonfire of lots of stuff "high spirits" had produced in the officers mess over the previous year.
Walking into the garage and ducking to avoid dead pigeons, pheasants and rabbits hanging from the rafters.

And one which only the truly old will remember. :pDT_Xtremez_15:
Falling over in school, cutting yourself quite badly and having IODINE put on the cut! :pDT_Xtremez_06:

GEM, TB, Grumpy, Realist, Ex-bay....... :pDT_Xtremez_29: :pDT_Xtremez_30:

Oh you talking of iodine Scaley... do you remember plasters if allowed one that stuck on for days and left the grey marks and they "smelt" like plasters! the nurse could put her arm around you (they cant now) and then the good old nit nurse came in (she has gone too now)!

School had black boards and squeaked to put the teeth on edge and bits of chalk flew when teacher had the hump and jabbed the board.... we had the ink pots built in to the desk and had to rows of o's and a's with ink pens and woe betide if there was a break in your writing... joint up all the way.

Prefects wore a band thing to show how important they were and you got to be teachers pet and helped tidy away, thinking you were important only really you were a mini slave.... I remember we had one young teacher and the boys always dropped things so she bent down.... hmmm anything to do with the mini skirt by chance??? ;-)

Playgrounds were separated at my first school, bull dog, french elastics and kiss chase when they combined... and a drinking fountain which you didnt die from some deadly bacteria even tho little jonny snot had been the last one using it!

Cossack hairspray...woodbine smokes and as a kid you could nip to the shop and buy dads baccy... we had paraffin stove that stank the house out and milk that sat on the work top that didnt go off and eggs that lasted weeks with no deadly illness :)