• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What TV?

What TV?

• Plasma

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • LCD

Votes: 44 73.3%
  • Stick with the old CRT for now

Votes: 8 13.3%

• Total voters

Major Geek

Sergeant
The boys are getting a PS3 for Christmas and I have also persuaded her who must be obeyed that we will need a nice big new telly to go with it.

What do you recommend, Plasma, LCD or stick with the perfectly serviceable 12 year old Samsung CRT until it goes kaput?

H

Heilan

When we looked at getting a new TV we were told to go with LCD, Plasmas are at their best when they are big, really big!! But hey, thats what I got told!! :pDT_Xtremez_42:

T

totallyangrydave

LCD are better than plasma up to about 42" but after that go for plasma for better definition.

JAFAD666

Flight Sergeant
Plasma`s contain a Gel. 3 Problems with them. 1. the gel must be heated, so running costs are more. 2 The gel eventually degrades cos of the heat so they don`t last as long as an LCD. 3 they cannot react as quickly as LCD to changes, so can blurr/fuzz halo/ghost, not normally a big issue but for gaming it may be.
Advice ... stick with the CRT until knackered because the prices are still coming down. Then go for LCD 32`- 37`
Also, when you buy any flat screen (especially for livingroom use) always ask about the viewing angle.

Last edited:
T

The Masked Geek

Samsung LE40M86BD - Top bit of kit, XBOX 360 runs like a dream on it.

Took a bit of frigging with the TV settings but SKY and DVDs look awesome.

Even hooked up my PC to one of the 3 HDMI inputs and that's running full HD too.

Last edited:

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
I got a PS3 on saturday. Its awesome!

Go for a LCD tv with HD. You can hook up your HDMI cable from the PS3 to the tv.

Plasma screens "burn out" quicker than other types of tv and in my opinion the LCD just looks better as well!

My brother had a plasma screen (42" monster!!) and it only lasted for 9 months before it went back on warranty because his game playing on it burnt out a section of the screen.

I have a 32" Philips HD LCD and it looks awesome with the PS3 on it!!!

Hook it up to the net and go to the playstation store. You can download playable demos of games or full games if you wish. I downloaded a demo of Gran Turismo 5 last night. Its utterly fantastic!!!:pDT_Xtremez_28:

T

the_boy_wizard

Advice ... stick with the CRT until knackered because the prices are still coming down.

I totally agree. I bought a 26" LG LCD about 3 years ago. It cost 700 quid then and now you can buy at 32" or 37" for the same price.
As for what i would go for, LCD is the one for me. The picture quality just seems better. One piece of advice though: get one with an anti-reflective screen. Doesn't look as good when its switched off, but at least you can't see yourself watching it when its on!! :pDT_Xtremez_15:

Mug?

Flight Sergeant
Dont forget

Dont forget

Remember Full HD and not HD ready.

PS3 can go Full HD and if you're making an investment?

I think the sony Bravia range obviously are the perfect match and think you can get a free PS 3 with them? dunno do some digging.
LCD if my opinion counts, but I would stick with the CRT and buy a PSP or spare controlers.

wobbly

E-goat Head *****
Administrator
Got myself a nice 42 inch 1080p Philips LCD about a year ago and have now got Sky HD. Its the mutts nutts mate and you won't be dissappointed.

All I can do is echo other peoples comments. Ensure that you educate yourself on the HD formats and don't let any shop assistant talk you into buying a complete lemon of a telly. you want full HD, not just HD ready. The difference is that som so called HD ready can't run 1080p (Progressive Scan) or 1080i (Interlaced) and only run in 720i/p, which is higher than normal TV but not true HD.

The Philips ambilight sets are brilliant quality and have back lighting which changes colour in line with what your watching and is pretty gucci during movies.

phillips.jpg

T

totallyangrydave

How much did it set you back Wobbly:pDT_Xtremez_28:

MingMong

Warrant Officer
My shiny new 42" Full HD LCD telly gets delivered on Thursday.
I can't wait to hook my PS3 up to it to see how good it looks.

Major Geek

Sergeant

The Philips ambilight sets are brilliant quality and have back lighting which changes colour in line with what your watching and is pretty gucci during movies.
....]

OK I'm swaying towards 42" LCD and had already sussed the 1080p bit cheers wobbly. Is the back light just a gimmick or is it worth it? Is it distracting? I don't want anything putting me off Coro.....

Teh Wal

Flight Sergeant
This site is a good source of info:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386024&page=2

And this place too:
http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5108580-5.html?tag=nav

XBox360 plus 37" LCD TV is fantastic. PS3 would be spectacular I reckon :pDT_Xtremez_30:

Don't expect anything wonderful from normal (terrestrial) transmissions or Sky (satelite) transmissions either (well, on an LCD, can't speak for Plasma) - you can notice pixelation more and things can appear less distinct than a CRT... but that's because transmission (in the main) is technologically lagging behind the hardware at the moment.

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
My shiny new 42" Full HD LCD telly gets delivered on Thursday.
I can't wait to hook my PS3 up to it to see how good it looks.

Dear God,
I don't ask for much but could we please have a power cut at Ming Mong's house from tomorrow till Friday so I can ignore his bragging about how great his PS3 looks on his new telly.

Cheers your holiness
SB

P.S. Oh yes..... can we also have cheaper oil, bigger tits and world peace . Thanks !! :pDT_Xtremez_28:

Last edited:

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
I have a Vizio 42" LCD with the old 1080i... Problem is it is NTSC - any ideas on converters for return to blighty?

MingMong

Warrant Officer
I have a Vizio 42" LCD with the old 1080i... Problem is it is NTSC - any ideas on converters for return to blighty?

HDTV ignores the PAL/NTSC formatting and displays everything regardless of format in either 420i (normal telly) or 720i, 720p, 1080 i or 1080p (the HD formats).
I am using my new TV with a PS3 purchased from an American BX, the PS3 refuses to play anything in Pal format, and just does NTSC, but the TV diplays it all no problems. Most modern TV's (anything with SCART inputs should display PAL or NTSC no problems.

Back to my new telly, 42" of 1080p awesomeness!
The PS3 looks great on it (take a look at the Gran Turismo HD demo if you get a chance) and Blu-Ray DVD looks amazing. i'm totally in love with my new TV!

Here is where I ordered it from.. DigitalDirect their delivery times aren't the fastest (it took them just over 2 weeks to deliver my telly, but their prices are the best I found on the model I got.

Major Geek

Sergeant
Got one

Got one

Well I've got a job lined up for when I'm out so thought sod it, lets have a treat. Went for a Toshiba Regza 42X3030D LCD which came on Friday. Very easy to set up and looks v swish sat in the corner.

Thanks for all the comments by the way.

roverboy

Trekkie Nerd
Plasma`s contain a Gel. 3 Problems with them. 1. the gel must be heated, so running costs are more. 2 The gel eventually degrades cos of the heat so they don`t last as long as an LCD. 3 they cannot react as quickly as LCD to changes, so can blurr/fuzz halo/ghost, not normally a big issue but for gaming it may be.
Advice ... stick with the CRT until knackered because the prices are still coming down. Then go for LCD 32`- 37`
Also, when you buy any flat screen (especially for livingroom use) always ask about the viewing angle.

I concur. I asked a mate in the pub when my old CRT TV went on the blink as he's a salesman in the shop where I was going to buy my replacement. Plasmas are better in a larger room as they heat up too much, so you need plenty of ventilation around them. He suggested I went for the Sony Bravia as the LCD screen has a very wide viewing angle. I took his advice, especially as he wangled a bit of staff discount for me and I'm happy with it.

denthemen

CAMRA Researcher
Panasonic for me!

Panasonic for me!

If you are not looking for cinema size screen (42" up) I just got a Panasonic TX32LXD700 32" LCD and it's the dogs knob. "What TV" type mag said it was the best in class and I agree. Panasonic only do LCD up to 32" after that it's all plasma. Best bit about this one is a 3rd HDMI socket in the front to plug all the gaming machines / DV Cameras into - no buggering about with all the wires at the back. Full SRS Surround Sound built in - so no speakers dotted around the room. Matched up with a HDD/DVD-R to boot and it's the biz.

Edit - 178 deg viewing angle, 7000:1 contrast. Not full HD but interpolates and you don't notice the difference on the smaller screen.