• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What trades can do airborne training?

andy2847

LAC
I am currently applying to the RAF as a Firefighter and was wondering what trades can do airborne training and if so, what courses have to be completed first? Do you have to be attached to II squadron to do it? As I am aware this won't happen as a firefighter.

Any help would be great.

Andy

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I assume you mean parachute training?

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
You used to be able to do sport parachute training...Is this still the case?

I got my pal in the med centre to ensure I made the weight limit for the course no matter what...this plan worked but it was noticeable that in a stick of 6 and being the last person out I was generally the first person on the ground and with a crushing 'Umpth!'

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
Last I saw, anyone can apply for P Company. Wether you'll be selected for a course....well that is not something I can help with.

Last I saw, anyone can apply for P Company. Wether you'll be selected for a course....well that is not something I can help with.
Same as all arms trg open to anyone, however you do not need either for para wings trg. Lots of trades have a small para cadre who have gone straight to Brize for jumps training.

spike7451

Flight Sergeant
I know of a couple of fellow RAF Armourers who did para training when they were on 2Sqn (?) RAF Regt because it was a requirement.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Pretty sure some of the spackers on TSW are para trained too....?

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
Some of the Air Traffic controllers and assistants on TacATC were para trained. I'm not sure if that's still the case though.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Yes they are, as they work directly with the Paras.

Lets get it into context though.. There may be a few here or there, but they are the exception rather than the rule.

unruly1986

Sergeant
In all honesty I would forget the 'Airbourne' side of things and instead, try to get into sports parachuting. There are plenty of courses going and if you are half decent at it you can be getting onto freefall in a couple of weeks.

Loads of opportunities; RAF team, trips to the States. Plus freefall kicks the arse out of static line!

timaloy

Corporal
You can apply for airborne or commando training however there is very little in the way ofcourses and they serif very high demand. Preference obviously going to those in airborne/commando slots orworking with them. But put you chit in for it (search for them through the DIN database). Pass the prerequisites for the courses and away you go. Beware tho you'll have to work your arrse off for all arms tho and the pre requisites are the minimum standard to meet. If I remember correctly there's no pre requisites for airborne as an ancillery you just rock up (unlike rockapes prepara selection)