• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What inspired you to join the Royal Air Force?

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
Family was never military bar war and national service. None in service when born. But engineering was the blood. So was Apollo missions. Aerospace is exciting and was open to mind set. Alas no British astronaut slots available so aeroplanes. As a kid the reading of Leo Villa's book on the Campbell Bluebirds was a side line. Family business work dying in Hildas recession and ATC involvement to see the pointy life drove the schooling to be what I joined. I was going to fix aircraft. 25 years of trials, tribulations and some memorable things.

Last edited:

Late & Tired

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Being born and raised in the (current) Republic of S Yorkshire, (nee West Riding), I had a choice of the shrinking pits, poor rail yard apprenticeships, or the steel mills. The weather was awful this day, so I took shelter in Doncaster AFCO and, over a cuppa with an engineer, my future was triggered. After 37yrs and 81days it was farewell to a brilliantly fulfilled and glorious people driven career - not just a job. I've kept a few new socks too, alongside a meagre Pension...