• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What clothing for clearing

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
OK your demob and doing the final rounds of the unit with your clearance chit. What is your choice of outfit?
In the past I have seen a C/T in a business suit travelling round the unit in a hired white roller complete with door opening lacky and chaufeur.
At the other end of the spectrum I saw today a Cpl techie instructor clearing in a dark blue shirt, JT rank tabs, kn@ckered liney boots and the scruffiest trousers I have seen for many a year.
Top lad and he still did his teabar stint for the boys this afternoon.:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Last edited:

timaloy

Corporal
I told my stripey I was clearing but I never did clear as I couldn't be bothered in reality I was on the golf course practicing my swing.

stereolab

Station Cashier
Clearing

Clearing

OK your demob and doing the final rounds of the unit with your clearance chit. What is your choice of outfit?
In the past I have seen a C/T in a business suit travelling round the unit in a hired white roller complete door with opening lacky and chaufeur.
At the other end of the spectrum I saw today a Cpl techie instructor clearing in a dark blue shirt, JT rank tabs, kn@ckered liney boots and the scruffiest trousers I have seen for many a year.
Top lad and he still did his teabar stint for the boys this afternoon.:pDT_Xtremez_28:

I do hope this was not at Illbw's unit, or said Cpl would be under an MAA at least.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
On my final round (it takes more than one go at this to complete) I wore shorts and flip flops (it was redders) and a smile! (I also had a t-shirt on for the pedants....):pDT_Xtremez_14:

In the past I have seen a C/T in a business suit travelling round the unit in a hired white roller complete door with opening lacky and chaufeur.

Brilliant!

Personally, I'd walk around my last unit whilst collecting signatures in a clown outfit whilst wearing a pair of big, floppy shoes. It'll illustrate perfectly how my last few years would entailed.

Last edited:

Realist78

Master of my destiny
On my final round (it takes more than one go at this to complete) I wore shorts and flip flops (it was redders) and a smile! (I also had a t-shirt on for the pedants....):pDT_Xtremez_14:

What slogan (targeted at pedants) did it have?:pDT_Xtremez_19:

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Must admit, I wore my budgie smugglers and flip flops and a battered old North Face T-shirt when I cleared.

Well for some reason I had to keep a set of blue uniform so I cleared in Blues. My final day was just Barrack block, and then discharge clerk. My 1250 was taken away and I drove home in uniform as technically I was still in.

After my discharge day, I threw the lot in the skip.

PraiseBacon

Sergeant
Did it in two tranches – both in Jeans, t-shirt and fleece jacket (it was winter time!).

Before going on resettlement course, handed back uniform and got as many signatures I could.

Went on 6 weeks of courses, 4 weeks of which were on rate 1’s (Big drinking exercise – enjoyed it immensely)

Back to base – had 4 days between end of resettlement and starting terminal leave – made it clear to my nob of boss that I had handed in my uniform and lost interest, so would be spending my time clearing and drinking and not coming in those 4 days, despite his ideas that I should. (This from a guy who 3 weeks before I went on resettlement said to me – “you have performed really well – but as you are leaving, your only use to me is for the bell curve – so I am giving you low numbers” – Went to see the chief clk as I was annoyed – who said, you have 3 working weeks left, forget it, if ‘nobber’ rates you as a 5’s and 6’s person – just be that, rather than fight it – in a month you won’t care . At which point I lost all interest in being part of the Service)

Spent 3 days drinking heavily and saying goodbye to the ladies of Stamford – while getting last couple of signatures.

Went to tower on last day to get nobbers signature on clearing chit (he made it clear it wouldn’t be signed any earlier) – showed up unshaven for 3 days and hung-over . I had also let my hear grow for 3 months by that stage (it needed doing before I went on resettlement – and I just let it grow ) – laughed at nob while he told me how scruffy I looked, I knew it would wind him up as he was of the ‘clear in a suit and be keen to the last second variety’

5 mins in PSF to hand back 1250, and drove off the base for the last time – not set foot on any RAF base since.

Comedy aside – 4 weeks later (while on terminal leave) had a call from Chief Clk to say Innsworth has send my final appraisal back as I had dropped from having 3 “8’s” to getting 2 “5’s” and a “6” – a drop of 8 points in a year was not justified by the narrative, or lack of remedial action during year – so my final scores had been revised upwards. I had to tell him he was right, I didn’t care, as soon as I drove through the gates for the last time – it didn’t matter anymore….

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
You guys actually went round the unit?

Did you not just sit at work and see how many signatures you could make up on the form? :pDT_Xtremez_31:

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Had to try and blag as many brews as I could as I went round. I beat sitting in the office....

G

gemarriott

You guys actually went round the unit?

Did you not just sit at work and see how many signatures you could make up on the form? :pDT_Xtremez_31:

I picked my blue chit up from SHQ and took it to the White Bull in Coningsby Village. Every one who entered the bar had to sign and I filled both sides with several sections signed twice:pDT_Xtremez_31:

AlienFB

SAC
Did my clearing in Blues, nothing unusual there i hear you say....

It was however, located at Episkopi, Cyprus in Junet his year. The big cheese in Cyprushas decreed we are all in a forward zone or something and everyone wears Deserts. I just wanted to wear my blues one last time after three years inpajamas and stick two fingers up at the army barmy lot.

Finished mid morning in the mess absolutely leathered after collecting all the beer favors I was owed!

Harry B'Stard

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts

Once a JT... always a JT!

From what I heard he got an immediate job offer and left within hours... but not before he finished his Teas and Keys and brought a massive amount of cakes for the lads.

Top fella, it was a pleasure working with him. :pDT_Xtremez_30:

HTB

Fairynuff31

Corporal
After being handed my leaving chit in PSF, I went home (MQ's), changed in to jeans and tee shirt and dumped all my blues etc at clothing stores - 1st sig on the chit.

The following day, I went into work to get my CT and Flt Lt sigs. CT signed, told me for fcuk off and have a good life. Flt Lt was a different kettle of fish....

Flt Lt: 'Fairynuff - I know your leaving, but you realsie that you HAVE to clear in uniform?'
Me: 'Really?'
Flt Lt: 'Yes, not go get into your uniform and come back to see me'
Me: 'You realise that I have already handed in my kit and have been signed out of Clothing Stores?'
Flt Lt: 'I dont care, go get dressed into what ever uniform you have been allowed to keep, and any you have not handed in and GET BACK HERE PRONTO!!!'

By now, I think he realsied that he should have just signed me off and let me go.... but an order is an order....

30mins later, I presented myself at my Boss's office - dressed in the following:

Airmans mac - with JT badges (depsite being a Cpl)
OG trousers (cut off's) and a green jumper
Brown safety boots
Blue woolly gloves
and a spare (knackered) S6 gas mask.

The SENGO saw me get out of my car - I had parked in the Staish's parking slot and met me at the door to the section.

SENGO: 'And just what the fcuk do you think you are doing?'
Me: 'Reporting back to the Flt Lt to have my leaving chit signed, sir'
SENGO: 'Fcuk off Fairynuff, go home, clear this unit and leave, NOW!'

By now I had a bit of an audience, including the Flt Lt...

Apart from the hoots and holla's of my work mates, the last thing I heard was, 'Flt Lt C..... my office if you please!' from the SENGO.

Seems he got a bollocking and we all got a laugh...

After I had been marched out og my MQ, I signed the rest of the sig's myself and haded it back to PSF, who said 'Bye, you're history' and that was that...

Happy Days!

Sad git

Corporal
I remember clearing and walking into the PTI section (in uniform) to get my chit signed.

PTI ... What can I do for you.

Me ... Sign my chit please.

PTI ... Oh ... are you just arriving

Me ... Leaving.

PTI ... I've not seen you in here before ... been here long?

Me ... Six years.

Never set foot in the place.

nanaman

LAC
Civvies and a beard.

Although I got refused entry to Eggs Chips & Peas cos officers get offended by beards....one signature by me then !!

FootTapper

Sergeant
On a related note (as I'll be finishing my clearing in the next couple of weeks)...

Anyone know what the bill is for a lost set of Number 1s? I've no idea at all where mine are, and Clothing Stores have said they expect them back.

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
On a related note (as I'll be finishing my clearing in the next couple of weeks)...

Anyone know what the bill is for a lost set of Number 1s? I've no idea at all where mine are, and Clothing Stores have said they expect them back.

I think the going rate is a packet of choccy biscuits, not NAAFI specials mind, McVities!

If they won't go for that and want shed loads of money, ask on here, I am sure I have a set of the old type I found in a box when we moved after I cleared, I bet I am not the only one either.

When I cleared (on topic bit, I was wearing a beard, jeans and a T shirt) I took a big plastic bag in, he chucked it over his shoulder, squiggled all over my blue book and signed my chit.