• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What after the Regt?

S

StevieF

Hi all,

I'm just wondering, besides the RAF websites list of "Police, Outward bound instructor" etc, what jobs do you gunners look towards on exit of the mob?

I'm not yet in but hoping to kick things off from christmas time this year (again), but was curious as to where I could end up when my time is up?

Cheers

T

The Masked Geek

One gunner was sat next to me last night, applying for Asda + Tesco....

They're taking on managers at the mo.

Mag2grid

Corporal
My time at the depot I saw lads go into:

Private security consultant overseas (Dubai Airport)
Civvy old bill
Civil Nuclear Constabulary
1 guy (switched on cookie!)got offered a trainee pilot place with Oxford Aviation, he's now flying for British Midland

Officer side

Project manager
Security consultant
Local government position

Its all how you present your skill set acquired into what the civvy companies are looking for.

S

StevieF

Cheers for the replies guys.

Another question, and bare with me here as I know it will sound a bit gun ho and boy killer-ish, but in your opinion, would switching from say the raf regt to a special forces position and then leaving the military open up more doors UK side of things for private security?

Reason I ask is most private security I know is pretty much based east just now, but the mrs and I would like to, in many years to come, settle either in the UK or the US...

Just wondered if anyone from hear-say or first hand account would know if that sort of route would open more doors as apose to a gunner coming straight out and into the same kind of role?

Cheers

GunnerP

SAC
I left the Regiment in 1997, I would say of all the lads Im still in contact with, the most popular career choice is Police, followed by Prison service.

But to be honest, very little you will be trained in during your Regiment career (Should you pass Basics) will be of any use in Civvy street.
If you get to JNCO/SNCO level, you many have training qualifications which will be advantagous.
I know of quite a few who have set up thier own very lucrative businesses in the First Aid field.
This is one of my ex Regt mates firm for example

http://www.lightningtrainingsolutions.co.uk/

I left as an SAC during the 'Dead mens Shoes' days of the mid 90's cutbacks.
I walked into a job during my terminal leave, and have been with them ever since.
I work for the Agriculture and Horticulture Development Board (formally the Meat and Livestock Commission)
And in the last 14 years with them, I have yet been asked carry out a Mortar fire mission, or perform a Drill Demo.

As for the Special Forces question, I really wouldnt worry too much about that choice untill you have passed Basics and got some time in on a Squadron.
There would then be an option to be selected for the SFSG via the RAF Regiment.

http://www.eliteukforces.info/sfsg/

Or full Special forces such as the SAS via the selection process.

P

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
If you do make it through basic etc and then into the world of SF then upon leaving that you can always fall back on the lucrative book contracts that will no doubt be offered to you! :pDT_Xtremez_30:

S

StevieF

Cheers for the replies lads.

I know it will sound like I'm getting ahead of myself, but I like to look ahead to atleast get a vague idea of what possibilities there are!

But all my questions have pretty much been answered, so thanks again :pDT_Xtremez_30: