• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Waddo Air Show cancelled...for good!

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
Heard a nasty rumour from Ops Wg Execs today that there may be more to that than a simple commercial reason.

ERT

Corporal
A good idea, statics in, kick the reds out, close the runway...lots of space...enjoy

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Nothing about the very news worthy subject of the runway work time to complete almost doubling...and if you extend your schedule you increase your costs...

Scampton is a pipe dream...it's runway can't take anything heavier than a hawk.

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
According to my local freebie newspaper it seems that the council is intent on building around 40,000 new house in the area surrounding Waddington and Bracebridge Heath. That may have something to do with it since safety would be an absolute nightmare.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
It's security concerns, which I can understand. The Americans still believe we leak like a sieve, and we are sort of behoven to them for the gear there.

Nothing about the very news worthy subject of the runway work time to complete almost doubling...and if you extend your schedule you increase your costs...

Scampton is a pipe dream...it's runway can't take anything heavier than a hawk.

Well that is just not true, the Hercules in the other day would beg to differ.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Well that is just not true, the Hercules in the other day would beg to differ.

The problem isn't the runway, as Waddo's strip only has a PCN of 45, so I assume that Scampton has something similar. The problem will be the dispersals. Waddos's have a PCN of 95 for a reason, Scampton quite possibly doesn't.

Ever seen an aircraft sink on concrete?

briggfairy

Sergeant
The problem isn't the runway, as Waddo's strip only has a PCN of 45, so I assume that Scampton has something similar. The problem will be the dispersals. Waddos's have a PCN of 95 for a reason, Scampton quite possibly doesn't.

Ever seen an aircraft sink on concrete?

When I was a scampton (07-12) we had the odd Tonka land and stay overnight whilst using the dispersals along with several private jets and hercs which used the dispersals used by the hawks and resident hunters, granted the runways been resurfaced since then but if hercs are still landing there i can't see there being much change.

I was always led to believe that the biggest issue with scampton was a lack of fire cover for large aircraft which meant a trip to waddo to get on a C17.

You could be right about the fire cover there. I am sure it can/would be enhanced if a large event was to take place. The whole place is falling to bits though.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
considering they're quoting annual attendance figures of 140,000, I'd be surprised if ANY of the Lincolnshire area Stations would be suitable, purely because of the local road infrastrucutre. Just getting to work during the recent roadworks caused enough problems!

Late & Tired

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
If you thought the A15 and A607 were choke points for access, just wait until the A15 gets solid from Caenby Corner all the way down through the A46 Bypass. Mayhem to even consider it.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
The only ones that seem to be upset about it are the locals - everyone I've spoken to on Waddo is bloody glad it's gone! Seen as just another strain on over-strained manpower.

mild mannered janitor

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
The only ones that seem to be upset about it are the locals - everyone I've spoken to on Waddo is bloody glad it's gone! Seen as just another strain on over-strained manpower.

the locals don't realise that the cap effectively grinds to a halt for the week preceding the airshow and it all has to be put away afterwards.

nevermind the fact that everyone has to work all weekend (often 12 hour plus shifts) i hardly see the wife all weekend.

good riddance.

Johned

SAC
Waddo Air Show cancelled...for good!

"Good riddance" indeed; I don't think that's any way to speak of your poor wife mild mannered janitor.