• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vulcan - engine let go

BillyBunter

Techie & Proud
I'm hearing reports 558 decided to let go on the number 1 and 2 engines today. Airfield closed due to debris everywhere. Anyone got any news.

G

grumpyoldb

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-18241082

Doncaster Robin Hood Airport was forced to close after pilots on the last flying Vulcan bomber aborted take-off due to an engine fault. The aircraft, XH558, was due to take off at midday from to practise a display flight.
The crew reported a fault and shut down two of its four engines before its take-off run.

The South Yorkshire airport re-opened after about 90 minutes with two flights diverted, the airport confirmed.

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
Having seen down #1 and 2 with a Boroscope a few years ago, I would not be surprised.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Awaiting the inevitable..... 'we need cash NOW! Otherwise we will sell it to the yanks' appeal...

BillyBunter

Techie & Proud
Yeah I got a m8 down there and he just emailed me to say both went bang today. I guess they don't have many Olympus engines about these days.

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Yeah I got a m8 down there and he just emailed me to say both went bang today. I guess they don't have many Olympus engines about these days.

When I saw 558 in the Hangar at Bruntingthorpe, I was told they have no fewer than 8 spare engines, including 4 that had zero effective hours.

Realist78

Master of my destiny
When I saw 558 in the Hangar at Bruntingthorpe, I was told they have no fewer than 8 spare engines, including 4 that had zero effective hours.

That's not a bad stock level if they have the same life as years ago (2000 hrs).

XVR RA RA RA

Sergeant

Wrong. There is maritime gas turbine version of the Olympus, thats used to power quite a few ships. There's four in each Invincible-class aircraft carrier.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

According to my Jedward haired tin triangle expert there are no spare engines around and the current ones are no longer supported by Rolls, private contractors could do the job, make pattern parts etc but at ridiculous cost. He also reckons whilst the maritime Olympus have the same name they are different enough in build to render them unsuitable for use in the mighty V. Could this be it for 558?

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Wrong. There is maritime gas turbine version of the Olympus, thats used to power quite a few ships. There's four in each Invincible-class aircraft carrier.

Perfect, providing they are also prepared to retro-fit the Vulcan with an exceptionally large rearward mounted propellor. Come to think of it, THAT, I would pay to see.

Parky

Corporal
They could speak to Aberthaw power station they run Olympus engines there on coal dust, I am infomrmed that some of concordes engines were aquired by them

Realist78

Master of my destiny
They could speak to Aberthaw power station they run Olympus engines there on coal dust, I am infomrmed that some of concordes engines were aquired by them

Totally different engine (apart from the name).:pDT_Xtremez_14:

morse1001

Sergeant
If it were sold to the yanks, then what they would do, would be to modify the engine bays to use different engines.

sp4rks

SAC
The bit at the bottom of the smellygraph gets me:

In 2001 Daily Telegraph readers saved the aircraft from sale to American buyers after raising £30,000 to keep the restoration on track.

So your £30,000 reader contribution personally saved the big V from going Yank did it, my ass, they'd have got the money even without your contribution. they were many more donaters than just you lot.

Shame to see the bad news about her though, a beautiful aircraft in need of saving.

The cause has been released and it is in modern parlance an epic fail:

http://www.vulcantothesky.org/news/354/82/Engine-Damage-Update.html

D
esi bags in the intake is a very poor show, but before anyone pours scorn on the head of the person responsible, nothing posted on an internet forum could possibly make the responsible person feel any worse than they probably already do, so save your typing fingers eh?

Thankfully the airframe escaped any damage and apart from brown trews nobody suffered, it does mean Pleming will be begging for more money. My personal view? Change the donks, do the 2012 season and then if a major sponsor who will stump up oodles of cash isn't found call it a day.

Jimps

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Desi bags in the intake is a very poor show, but before anyone pours scorn on the head of the person responsible, nothing posted on an internet forum could possibly make the responsible person feel any worse than they probably already do, so save your typing fingers eh?

Not scorn but still a,
Emoticon-Facepalm.gif
moment.

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
sh!t Happens, I remember when a certain J/T left a PEC and hood cover on the refuel probe of a Harrier, jet taxied out and 200yrds down the runway sucked it in and sprayed engine blades down the runway. lesson learnt, proceedures changed, There is no reason why they cant get the double donk change done sharpish.

Realist78

Master of my destiny
sh!t Happens, I remember when a certain J/T left a PEC and hood cover on the refuel probe of a Harrier, jet taxied out and 200yrds down the runway sucked it in and sprayed engine blades down the runway. lesson learnt, proceedures changed, There is no reason why they cant get the double donk change done sharpish.

One shift, job done.