• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vodafone contract woes

rocket scientist

Sergeant
In 2014, I took out a contract with Vodafone through Carphone Warehouse for my stepdaughter. I signed a paper contract, the direct debit was through her bank account and everything was hunky-dory. 2 months ago, I signed up for a free credit report and noticed that there was a Vodafone account against my name. Having assumed that the original contract was finished I contacted her in order to see about transferring the account to her. She told me that we would both have to visit a CPW store in person in order to do this however when I visited her 2 weeks ago she became extremely agitated and claimed she didn’t have time to go.

I then contacted CPW last Monday to enquire about the account but was told they didn’t have any details for me and to contact Vodafone direct. I did this and it transpired that in Oct 2015 she was able to upgrade to a more expensive phone directly with Vodafone and also, add another ipad/data number to the account, all through online chat, without my knowledge. When I asked Vodafone how she was able to do this, they immediately opened a fraud investigation and blocked the number. 4 days later, they concluded that no fraud has taken place because I must have allowed her to use my “security details” to set up an online account through which she could then take out pretty much whatever additional contracts & upgrades she wanted. When I asked what details were needed to set up this online account the answer was “Name, Date of Birth, Address and Phone Number (the one she had). Here’s another thing – I explained that the address on the account was an old one that neither I nor she had lived at for several months so asked how she was able to have it delivered or had she picked it up in store. Vodafone informed me that she had given an alternative address for delivery.

So move on to yesterday and Vodafone have informed me that the direct debit has been cancelled. In order to prevent further misuse of the account, they have locked it down so much that I needed to travel to the nearest Vodafone store so they could verify my identity and attempt to reach a resolution. When I got there I was put onto the resolutions department and they asked me what I thought the step forward was so my answer was “I want to be removed from this account totally.”

The 2 options are:

Transfer the account to her name. We both need to be on the phone or in a store together at the same time to do this.

I cancel the contract mid-term which will cost £266.

Option 1 won’t work because she has already got another number and a nice fancy phone to use which she is no longer paying for.

So that leaves me with option 2 which is not acceptable because I don’t see why I should have to pay £266 for 2 products I never ordered, never wanted and never received. After a degree of ranting by myself I was offered a firm & final 50% discount which in my eyes is still unacceptable. As deadlock was now imminent, I stated my intent to take this to the communications ombudsman. I had previously asked their advice and was told that for Vodafone to deal with the ombudsman on this matter will probably cost over £400 so when I asked the Vodafone operator if they were still happy for me to take this to the Ombudsman when they could “take it on the chin” for less, I was just told that they could do no more and the matter would have to be escalated.

Knowing that my stepdaughter has already got another (Vodafone) number already I assume that she has simply stuck a new sim in the phone that she still has so I got Vodafone to blacklist both the phone and iPad on the account to give me the satisfaction that she won’t have 2 shiney products that someone else is paying for.

So that is where I am now. I’m not sure what I’m expected from posting this – it’s not so much a rant as a “lesson learnt” or a warning to others but I’d like to know your thoughts?

Kryten

Warrant Officer
RS, I had issues with Vodafone two years ago - I wanted to cancel a Pay as you Go number and go onto a conratc; when I went through the initial application I was declined "on the basis of a credit check" - this was despite having more than sufficient funds in my account and a steady income.

I wrote a letter of complaint and wa directed to contact a Customer Services manager, who then said he would look into it, only for him to then revalidate the original decline but with no reason given.

Turns out that despite having a series of monthly payments and a healthy bank balance, if you have just taken out a mortgage Vodafone wont touch you for at least a year...and won't tell you this leaving you in a panicked state about never being able to get credit ever again.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Looks like you've been a bit naive there RS, you agreed to the direct debit and handed over the phone to the lass with no controls in place, you're lucky she didn't run up some huge bills which you would have had to pay for.

Can't really blame Vodafone here.

Sent from my SM-T715 using Tapatalk

rocket scientist

Sergeant
Looks like you've been a bit naive there RS, you agreed to the direct debit and handed over the phone to the lass with no controls in place, you're lucky she didn't run up some huge bills which you would have had to pay for.

Can't really blame Vodafone here.
But I deliberately signed a (paper) contract which was for 12 months and a low monthly payment with a usage cap set so that a) the money came straight out of her bank and b) if something went wrong then the damage would be limited.

What I didn't bank on was Vodafone allowing anybody (who could find out my name, dob & address - not hard) to then not only take out another phone contract but add another number to the same contract and have the new products delivered to an alternative address. A contract which only exists in cyberspace which was emailed to the person who was all too easily able to set up an online account.

Then when I try to transfer the account, they all of a sudden insist in either both of us being in store with a form of ID or both of us jumping through several tiers of security together on the phone. Why weren't these measures in place when she took out the new contract?

Don't get me wrong - she knew what she was doing, hence her cageyness when it came to transferring it to her name but when I upgraded my phone with Tescomobile in store I had to show ID, answer security questions and then spend the next half hour making sure I understood what I was signing for.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Sounds like if you could have put up with the stress and hassle you could have won the fight, I know when I had an issue with O2 it was only when they received the small claims paperwork they met their obligations, and I ended up about £500 better off than if they'd done the right thing in the beginning.

Been on Pay as Go ever since, stops you wasting your money on contract fees to have the latest phone and if they pish you off a quick request for the transfer code and you can be with one of the others in the slow blink of an eye. Saying that been with Giffgaff for years now as there's not much they can do wrong.

Sent from my SM-T715 using Tapatalk

rocket scientist

Sergeant
Thanks Gnasher - I had an email form Vodafone yesterday saying they will write to me with their final decision but in the meantime a little chat from her Mum has resulted in her saying that she'll pay the rest of the contract, so I'll see hopefully it won't get to that but it's worth knowing.

Mag2grid

Corporal
RS, I had issues with Vodafone two years ago - I wanted to cancel a Pay as you Go number and go onto a conratc; when I went through the initial application I was declined "on the basis of a credit check" - this was despite having more than sufficient funds in my account and a steady income.

I wrote a letter of complaint and wa directed to contact a Customer Services manager, who then said he would look into it, only for him to then revalidate the original decline but with no reason given.

Turns out that despite having a series of monthly payments and a healthy bank balance, if you have just taken out a mortgage Vodafone wont touch you for at least a year...and won't tell you this leaving you in a panicked state about never being able to get credit ever again.

Not the case now adays. I took a mortgage in August last year and had no issues with Vodafone contract earlier this year.

rocket scientist

Sergeant
A final update on this.

After a few weeks of discussion with Vodafone resulting in a stalemate, this ended going to the Communications Ombudsman.

3 months later, although they initially thought that Vodafone had acted fairly, further evidence was provided and coupled with the fact that Vodafone had made the situation extremely difficult to resolve, the Ombudsman decided that the contract should be terminated without penalty.

So I got the result I wanted but it took many phonecalls & letters to both Vodafone & the Ombudsman. I'm also glad I kept a log of conversations as Vodafone contradicted themselves on more than one occasion which is one of the factors in my favour I think.

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
So I got the result I wanted but it took many phonecalls & letters to both Vodafone & the Ombudsman. I'm also glad I kept a log of conversations as Vodafone contradicted themselves on more than one occasion which is one of the factors in my favour I think.

Spot on fella. It just goes to show that when something stinks a bit you should assume the smell isn't coming from you!