• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Visiting BBMF is it possible?

Entropy

Sergeant
I was thinking of putting a proposal to our Sqn for a visit to the BBMF as part of a part of a 'thruogh life development' exercise. Would any Goaters be able to advise on the following?

1. Is it possible for more inclusive visit above and beyond the offering to the pubilic.
2. Is a weekend possible
3. Would it be possible to get an over view of the work involved keeping tbese aircraft airworthy
4. A chace to get up close to the aircraft.
5. If feasible, who would be a first contact to discuss the possibility of a visit.

Cheers
Ent

Last edited:

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
A quick e mail to them and I'm sure they'll help as much as they can. They bend over backwards for the blue suiters at Conz which is much appreciated. We are always popping in with a lot more access than Joe public. I'm not sure about weekends.

Forestfan

SAC
Just drop the WO a line, as said above they're always pretty accommodating. Weekends may be a bit of an ask though, best bet is to make it a weekday.

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
There are 2 civvies (one ex-RAF) who sort all the visits (ctrl K BBMF or if you don't have access, let me know and i can get their details for you).

I have arranged several visits to BBMF for some of our external agency partners and they go down a treat, a real eye opener.

I don't think there is much more to the visits than what the public see, but if you arrange a visit it is privately hosted by 1 or 2 ex-RAF who do the visits in their spare time. These chaps are very knowledgeable and very passionate with a chance to ask as many questions as needed. And, yes, we got up close and personal with the aircraft. Just make sure you tell them what you would like and they will accommodate where they can.

I doubt it will be over a weekend (when does the RAF work weekends?!)

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Yes, daily at 1330
Not as a rule (I might bend that for reservists)
Yes
Yes
Cal Di on 95721 5134

Entropy

Sergeant
Thanks guys, I just need to put together a plan and put it to the Sqn. So may be in contact in a couple of months if its giiven a green light.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Insh' Allah they will all be back in one bit by the end of the month. Pre Display Authorisation won't take place until mid April, and display season starts in May. This means that at the Weekends, the airworthy examples may be away (inc the Lanc).

I have the new display diary, so let me know before you plan anything.

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
Insh' Allah they will all be back in one bit by the end of the month. Pre Display Authorisation won't take place until mid April, and display season starts in May. This means that at the Weekends, the airworthy examples may be away (inc the Lanc).

I have the new display diary, so let me know before you plan anything.

Do you think they would be happy to show student nurses around?

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Do you think they would be happy to show student nurses around?

Since the volunteer guides are in their 60's, I sense no immediate danger ;) The boys on the shop floor might enjoy the change of scenery.

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
As i have limited access to DII could someone please PM me the best contact detail from civ email.

Cheers