• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Villas

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
We caught the villa bug last year...don't think, unless it was exceptional, that I could ever go back to a hotel holiday...no crowds, my own pace and eat what I want when I want etc etc.

Anyone stayed in villas they would recommend? Links if possible? The lesson I learned last year was that you can rent yourself a superb catch (like we did) or you could get sold a pup re location, facilities etc...

Dalyan, hirosnu, fethiye, Antalya area of Turkey, cheap food drink etc, flights into dalaman cheap enough to book in advance. Gone out there for the last 8 years now.

get what you pay for though, spend a little more on the larger villas out of the town and hire a car locally, you can get some stunning places at a reasonable cost.

would not advise driving from dalaman at night as roads are bit hooky, normally book resort hoppers who I have found to be good.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Dalyan, hirosnu, fethiye, Antalya area of Turkey, cheap food drink etc, flights into dalaman cheap enough to book in advance. Gone out there for the last 8 years now.

get what you pay for though, spend a little more on the larger villas out of the town and hire a car locally, you can get some stunning places at a reasonable cost.

would not advise driving from dalaman at night as roads are bit hooky, normally book resort hoppers who I have found to be good.

Agree with all you've said as we stayed in a belter in Ovacik last year...didn't need a car as the Dolmus sorted us for all our travel needs.

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I have been renting villas and cottages, direct from the owners, for about 20 years and have had some great holidays. We've also done quite a few cities world-wide hiring a down-town apartments instead of a hotel. I'd recommend that for anyone spending a few days in a city.

Use web-sites like ownersdirect or tripadvisor, which are a great source of villas worldwide, cottages in France, UK etc. Avoid web-sites like Janes Villas and deal direct with the owner. You can then plan your own fights/ferries/transport and while you might not get a better deal, you get a package that you want without paying the overheads.

The only down-side to it is that there is no ABTA or ATOL coverage so if you are on a tight budget or have the family in tow it could get really difficult if the place is double-booked, burn't down or the owner has gone bust or something you have nothing to fall back on except you and your own credit card for alternative accommodation. Having said that as long as you have receipts or proof of payment for what you've booked, you can claim off your travel insurance on your return home - and it is worth checking that the insurance isn't based on coverage for ABTA/ATOL packages.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Vim

I have been mulling this too...what website did you use mate?

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Ive used Tripadvisor to secure a 3 bed villa in Rome for 4 nights in June this year. Reviews great, looks perfect, costs about the same as 1 night in a 4* hotel.

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
My Father in Law rents out a 3 bedroom lodging in Chiang Mai, Thailand. Very nice it is too. I'll be heading that way next year for free apart from the flights. If anyone else is intersted PM me

Entropy

Sergeant
I was also thinking of renting

I was also thinking of renting

I have been thinking of renting as we have 2 medium sized kids so they want to constantly swim. Are there any savings to be made by considering Greece or Cyprus?

FOMz

Warrant Officer
I go to Florida every two years and only stay in villas there. So much less hassel than hotels full of tattoo'd ****wits from scumsvile.

If you go to Florida, get on this site: www.thedibb.co.uk

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Did you hire a car when there to cut about in?

No you don't need it. The Dolmus stops about 80yds from the villa. In one direction is Hisoronu where you can change Dolmus's and go to Gypsy beach and the ghost village or stay on it and end up in Oledeniz with its turquoise sea and lovely beach, parascending from 6500ft, boat trip, fishing etc...the other direction take you to Fettiye with it shopping, huge markets, restaurants and so on. Each journey is around 15-20 mins and costs around 70p and you can drink and not think about it...I used to hate Turkey until I was shown this area and how to get the best out of it...now I love it.

Fillet steak from local butchers -£2.50, pint £2, bottle of wine £4, cocktail on beach £3, family of four in decent restaraunt for a 3 course dinner with drinks around £40-60. Temp in July is 35-42...August a little hotter...occaission also cloudy day. There is an aqua park close to the villa I linked which is around £4 to get in at the weekend but last year it was free during the week!

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
I actually considered that villa you posted - looks exactly what we are after. But the flight work out at £1300 for a family of four - the week prior to the school holidays is £500 :(

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Yep the flights will be around 1400 during the hols but that's just life...unless you can go in term time.

I can't reccomend it enough...lovely sitting laying around your own pool (no people swearing, smoking or gerally spoiling your time away), strolling back along the covered terrace to the kitchen and grabbing a cold Effes (delivered for free by the shop along the way...24 bottles for around £20) and considering whether to have a family BBQ or stroll a couple of minutes up the road for dinner a one of the many family run restaurants...I'll post the villa I'm booking this time around when it's in the bag...it's simply luxurious but until I've done the deed it's under wraps in case one of you lot nick It!

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
ha ha! Yeah, you seem to like the same things in life as me, so a link would be good!

WRT the previous villa, was there any discount for forces etc? Or did you pay the full whack on everything?

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Full whack. I know the owners. I'll ask if he'll give some forces discount if you like?