• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Veterans Rail Card

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Not yet, but once travel is less restrictive, I'll be buying a 3yr one.

The railcard is the one thing I miss from the RAF.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Certainly thinking of it - as mwd says, once travel becomes more attractive again it should be worth it but i will do the maths at the time and buy it when i first need to use it.

Rocket_Ronster

You ain`t seen me.
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Check the restrictions.
My lad was looking at moving to the big city and commuting to work using a YP railcard. Turns out that wasn't valid for travel before 10am.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Covers anytime tickets, got a minimum ticket price of £12, during peak travel times, doesn’t work with season tickets or other already discounted tickets which seems fair. You can also include a companion and covers young ones that are travelling with you.

I used to get the Network travel card which cost £30 a year, but it didn’t give as many benefits as this one.

Obviously depends on your needs but for 71 quid I’ll save this by Christmas, as long as we don’t go into lock down.

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
I'll be getting one for sure, travel for work on occasions and this will allow me to upgrade to first class every time.

4mastacker

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
There's a web-site -mytrainpal.com - which searches for cheap fares , including split ticketing which can make fares even cheaper. I've done some "test" bookings for hypothetical journeys and it seems to offer big savings for journeys if no railcard is involved...and is competitive if I use my 'Senior Railcard'. It's all swings and roundabouts though.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Is that the railcard that gives you exactly the same discount as an OAP?
It says up to a third off so the same as the serving guys card I think?

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
It says up to a third off so the same as the serving guys card I think?
I think all railcards give a third off. However paying extra to reduce fares seems illogical. Perhaps if rail tickets were more sensibly priced we'd all use them more? How much does it cost to administer/issue railcards?

With all the cards available and season tickets who now is actually travelling at full price?

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
I think all railcards give a third off. However paying extra to reduce fares seems illogical. Perhaps if rail tickets were more sensibly priced we'd all use them more? How much does it cost to administer/issue railcards?

With all the cards available and season tickets who now is actually travelling at full price?
Think of it as a loyalty card, regular users get a bit of discount whilst those who only ever travel for special occasions, but expect a full service to be available when they do, pay a little more.

Don’t know about the costs but its an online application and the card is on an app, which you can link to your Smart Travel Card online too, so the costs of admin will be pretty low, I would guess about 10 to 15 minutes of human input to check eligibility and little bit of data in the cloud.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Without wishing to drag the thread off topic, this may also be of use to those veterans who receive a GiP or payments under the War Pension Scheme. Pretty good imo.

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Bought a Scotrail Over 50 card for £15 in February. First use it will probably get is scraping ice off the windscreen.....