• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vegetarian Parenting

Martin Blank

Sergeant
I can't get my head around the idea of vegetarians, especially that mad bint who wants to ban dairy and meat farming who's shadow secretary for agriculture..what's going to happen to all those animals that no one needs any more??? thats right they are going to be slaughtered because no one wants a 100 pet cows.
But it struck me the other day, veggie parents who force their kids to adopt their lifestyle, is it a form of child abuse?
I know as a child I was traumatised by being MADE to eat certain foods mainly veg which has haunted me into adult life to the point where I still have a set list of safe veg I enjoy eating and some I wont even have on the plate.
Surely ankle biters should be allowed the oportunity to make their own descisions on what food they like or not. My son wouldn't eat beef well into his teen's because he didnt like the texture but now likes his steak bloody but he was given the choice and then an alternative.
I mean have you ever seen a really healthy veggie who isn't boosting on vitamins and suplements to stop looking like a vampire reject1

Kryten

Warrant Officer
One of the directors in our office - his entire family are vegans. Rarely a week goes by when he doesn't come out with some utterance like "need to work from home today as wife is ill and I need to look after the kids" or "need to be at home as wife is at work and the kids are ill"....

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
They ****ing crack you up. We are designed as omnivorves (look at our ****ing teeth), we are designed to eat fcuking meat!

If you want to be vegan or some sh1t, fine by me, but remember it's a lifestyle choice, and please, for the love of god, don't force it on your fcuking kids.

Besides, who needs abs when you can have kebabs.

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Its a parents role to make decisions on behalf of their kids until such a time as they are able to do so in an informed way themselves. Unfortunately this does mean that parents with ideological views are inevitably going to try and pass those on to their kids; ideologists don't necessarily possess the humility to recognize that their kids may not want to adopt their choices.
Of course they all run the risk of it backfiring on them when their offspring chows down on his/her first bacon sarnie in a cafe with their mates and decide for themselves there and then that their parents veggie vows are not for them and that they've been denied this delicacy for their entire life up to that point.

Martin Blank

Sergeant
Of course they all run the risk of it backfiring on them when their offspring chows down on his/her first bacon sarnie in a cafe with their mates and decide for themselves there and then that their parents veggie vows are not for them and that they've been denied this delicacy for their entire life up to that point.

That cracks me up every time I have mates one of whom is a veggie the other is Jewish.......neither can resist the bacon butty....... the Jewish one got kicked out of his local synagog because of it....

mild mannered janitor

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I've always said that when mini MMJ grows up if he turns out to be gay i can accept that and adjust to the choice he has made in life.

However if he comes home and tells me he is a veggie he can bloody well pack his bags.

luckily the fat little bugger loves bacon and all other meats, we also make it perfectly clear exactly where it all come from which he has no problem with.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
My dear old departed Granddad always told me 'Never trust a person who doesn't eat meat or drink beer'.. pretty sound advice if you ask me.....

But it struck me the other day, veggie parents who force their kids to adopt their lifestyle, is it a form of child abuse?
Morality of eating animals aside - (I definitely agree about sustaining livestock) I'm fine with vegetarians as long as they don't impose their beliefs on other people.
I know a lot of vegetarians that don't know how to be healthy vegetarians. You need a F lot of dark green leafy vegetables and a lot of pulses to get enough amino acids and B12. Plus, a lot of people are intolerant to lectin so it makes eating pulses (highest source of protein after eggs) almost impossible without being ill. A lot of people suffering from B12 deficiency are vegetarians because you just can't get enough rabbit food in a day to meet your requirements. Vegetables are filling and take a lot of energy to digest. Plus it gives you horrible gas.
If a child is B12 deficient, they can have serious growth issues and poor brain performance. If you're going to be a proper vegetarian, you have to be pretty savvy and eat the right greens. You used to die from B12 deficiency if not diagnosed - and before you get to that point you'll feel tired, get numbness and get nerve damage. A leading cause of early onset dementia.
So that's my rant.

Blue72

SAC
Ooh don't get me STARTED on people who claim, off the back of NO medical investigations whatsoever, to be "intolerant" to this, that or the other. Of course in most cases they won't fecking well go near a doctor with their "intolerance" because they know damn well they'll be told it's nonsense, and they then won't be able to attention seek with it any more, will they?

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Can you imagine someone going into a foodbank: Looks at the box of free offerings and says - Can't have that, can't have that, can't have that, can't have that until they end up with a tin of pears and a tin of peas.

My point being is that us humans can quickly adapt to what is available and just eat it, even other humans. It there is not enough vitamins and stuff then of course we will suffer. I reckon that's why we are generally classified as omnivorous.

Also, FOMz's Granddad was a very wise man.

My point being is that us humans can quickly adapt to what is available and just eat it, even other humans. It there is not enough vitamins and stuff then of course we will suffer. I reckon that's why we are generally classified as omnivorous.

Humans can eat pretty much anything but we can't digest everything. That's essentially what Fibre is: indigestible food. That's why cooking has been key to our evolution, we can break down elements that resist digestion and get to the good stuff. Ever tried having raw rice? Going back to lectin: while it's fine to eat (but causes LOADS of gas), if you don't wash beans (consumed by vegans) then those beans are highly toxic due to the ‘phytohaemagglutinin'. Yeh that stuff. It causes food poisoning.
And yes, people make up ideas that they might intolerant to some foods (lactose, gluten...) and while some are, most aren't. Nonetheless, everyone is sensitive to some foods but it doesn't mean they'll be sick or die. It just means they'll bloat.

However, I have yet to hear someone say that they're intolerant/allergic to Meat (excluding Shellfish & eggs). It's probably the only food substance that won't cause digestive discomfort (assuming that they have a bit of fibre in their diets too). It's definitely what our stomachs were designed for - we are good at breaking it down and putting it to good use. I'd find it insane to give it up.

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
My nephew had to live on a diet of potato waffles and veggie fingers (with Officers Red Relish (Ketchup)) as a bairn as his mum was a veggie and decided he was to be one too. Little did she know his grandad was feeding him sausages and pies when he went over to his. In adulthood, he is now a normal omnivore :pDT_Xtremez_31:

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
I know of a former 'colleague' that claims to be wheat and dairy intolerant, to the extent that it causes great pains. However, when she was given (quite expensive) rations that 'met her dietary requirements - so that she could deploy - she kicked off because she 'was being discriminated against' (all the rations were the same main meal). It also came to light that she would eat a big mac meal at least once a week, to 'check her intolerance levels'. In other words, a bloody det-dodger... and still in, no less!!

Kryten

Warrant Officer
I know of a former 'colleague' that claims to be wheat and dairy intolerant, to the extent that it causes great pains. However, when she was given (quite expensive) rations that 'met her dietary requirements - so that she could deploy - she kicked off because she 'was being discriminated against' (all the rations were the same main meal). It also came to light that she would eat a big mac meal at least once a week, to 'check her intolerance levels'. In other words, a bloody det-dodger... and still in, no less!!

Slightly Off Topic but I recall a similar former colleague who used to insist they were on a diet yet would go and eat quite literally their own body weight in sweets and crisps as soon as the crew bar opened.....