• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Usas

The last USAS unit will be converted to MJDI next week so adding another system to the archive of:

1640 1010 4/72 DLT USAS and USASII I dought if there is anyone still serving that has used them all but I could be wrong !!!

S

scooterboy

DLT when I joined up,now on MJDI.
Did my SC course on DLT at Hereford in 92
Oh what memories. :pDT_Xtremez_28:

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
Used them all except 10/10 and 4/72. What were they? I still think USAS was the best.

The most annoying thing about MJDI (it was the same for USAS II) is that the only txn that you dont have to tab between the IIN/DMC and last 7 is the reciepts tab and I forget every time that I dont have to and the bloody thing ends up beeping at me!!!

TotalWar

LAC
Did USAS in basic supply at hereford in 1991, which was good as my first posting was to Chivenor who had USAS.
Then in 1993 I did SC course on DLT at Hereford, which was also good, as I exchanged to Boulmer 8 months later, they had DLT(still did when I left in 1997.
USAS was way better than DLT though

DLT was my first experience of the modern world of RAF logistics IT infrastructure. Single line back up variety at RAF Locking. You could almost guarantee the line would go down on a Friday afternoon which allowed for an early stack and if it didn't go down of its own accord there were ways and means to persuade it to.:pDT_Xtremez_14:

I didn't touch USAS (other than in training) as by the time I was thrust back out into the harsh blue supply world after many years on TSW it had been replaced by USASII.

Now days I work for DHL and our logistics systems make even USASII look like something out of the Dark Ages. Of course its all swings and roundabouts though. We may have nice modern logistics systems but managers in the RAF logistics world don't have to deal with KPIs and bolshy union reps day in day out.

Gillo

Banned
The last USAS unit will be converted to MJDI next week so adding another system to the archive of:

1640 1010 4/72 DLT USAS and USASII I dought if there is anyone still serving that has used them all but I could be wrong !!!

Think again young chap seen them all and still in. Best job in SCAF Add list Clk.
ABC code 301?

Robby

Corporal
cutting edge technology?

cutting edge technology?

When I moved to Honington in 1985 we still operated with COSSOR machines which involved putting a key in it and almost 'starting it up' when logging on in the morning! We thought the 'badge' card was cutting edge when the Lynwood machines arrived and that little holder for the bar code reader which was coming soon - was real modern technology at our finger tips!!!

One common factor with all these machines and systems seems to have been the cr*p printers, although a couple of weeks on the 'ripping desk' in SCAF and you could solve most problems with them and foge the weekly cleaning task sheet! Oh happy days I'm so glad were more proffessional these days and those old practises are distant memories!

I'll ETX and Send now! :pDT_Xtremez_14:

D

duvet fluffer

Did my SC course early 90's for a posting to a rock Sqn which did not have a USAS at all, bright move by PMA!!!. When I did come back into the fold some years later, had to start all over again. What's that all about.:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Gillo

Banned
Wasn't it 501? and what about your Code 'F'?

501 related to external issues. Code F if memory serves me right refer to Inv codes. Those were the days. Poor old George Bissell could never move on from the demise of F1640s. Still banging on about them during fallback lesson on my TMT 2 course.

4mastacker

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Code 'F' was the 'Function code' - a six-figure combination of the inventory code (when they were numbers and not bl**dy letters) and the use code.
Geez, this is sad!

OK, next question. What was the formula for calculating check totals without the use of an addlister?

Gillo

Banned
Code 'F' was the 'Function code' - a six-figure combination of the inventory code (when they were numbers and not bl**dy letters) and the use code.
Geez, this is sad!

OK, next question. What was the formula for calculating check totals without the use of an addlister?

Though question. Sorry I could only do that when I was an Appo, not got a clue .

TotalWar

LAC
How does the new system compare to USAS?
I believe its a windows system rather than DOS, but thats all I know.
Are the transaction codes the same/similar, or do you not need them with drop down menus.

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
How does the new system compare to USAS?
I believe its a windows system rather than DOS, but thats all I know.
Are the transaction codes the same/similar, or do you not need them with drop down menus.

Yes it's a windows system and all drop down menus. Recruits dont even get taught transaction codes anymore however most of the lads I work with are older and still refer to the txn codes rather than the names now.

As for how does it compare.... well to be honest there are bits of it that are better and bits that are not. At first I hated moving onto USAS II but it is the same as anything once the initial teething problems are ironed out then it works out quite well and as we all know change isn't always welcomed but it is always inevitable.

Norman the Storeman

QA Acolyte
Oh dear. I feel a bit bewildered by all this computer talk. Last time I really worked on a VDU it was all black & green. I really should try to keep up.
I fancy one of them PSA courses but does that mean I'll have to do all the work services on camp? :pDT_Xtremez_41:

Robby

Corporal
Norman, Norman where have you been you must remember the smell of Avtur is not the whole world of Supply and now you've left the Tactical Refuelling Wing you have to be a Supplier again- sit down in a dark corner take a deep breath and accept it:pDT_Xtremez_34: !

As for a PSA course only consider it if your Unit rewards (exempt gate guard/DSO etc) otherwise you will be messed around for days and nights doing pointless Oracle Reports for yet another management task or trying to fix a printer that is filthy and jammed with last weeks Ginster pasty and must be fixed at some un-godly hour. When you mention it to your management for inclusion in the F6000/SJAR they just presume that you hide in the USAS room to avoid them and it fixes its self or Stanbridge do it all now!

As for the comments on transaction codes its very true that they dont teach it at Halton but once the little darlings get into the big bad world they have to learn them all to be able to work in Secondary Accounts and the Auditable Documents in addition to 'Quizzing' USAS - it is still listed by TXN code. Progress yes but little steps we just need Halton to teach what they are going to need at the sharp end with an engineer baying for blood and his spare at 2 in the morning! :pDT_Xtremez_06:

Last edited:
P

PLC1966

Robby, I was on the USM course with you mate but now been out of proper stores for 18 months and due to go OOA next Dec, so will not have have done Duty USM for approx 2 1/2 years. Has MJDI changed the process's much, Monthly back up etc.....

You need a PSA Q to work on MJDI as a system manager for a proccessor unit some old USM's were upgraded to PSA on a conversion course but that course has stopped now if you are a USM and have not been upgraded to PSA you will have to do the full 8 day PSA course for your sins

W

wingmong

Oh no not again, not Stanbridge, I am an old USM, :pDT_Xtremez_15: so its head down time I thinks, now that job in the admin office sounds nice!!