• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Unnecessary NI court action

4mastacker

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
The HET was set-up in 2005 when, if memory serves me correct, Blair was Prime Minister so HET were probably already pursuing these soldiers before Cameron's Cronies took over No 10. If Blair hadn't been so keen on placating the IRA and selling British soldiers down the river, this case may never have come about. Cameron's fault was he didn't kick HET into touch right from when he became PM and thus allowed this vindictive treatment of soldiers to continue.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Why? Court proceedings began on the Tory watch? You do come up with some rubbish. End of the day, the evidence as Busby said was flimsy as hell. Same will happen to Soldier F.
Court proceedings are a devolved matter and like Scotland it appears the DPP or whatever they are called appears to be a political appointee.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
The HET was set-up in 2005 when, if memory serves me correct, Blair was Prime Minister so HET were probably already pursuing these soldiers before Cameron's Cronies took over No 10. If Blair hadn't been so keen on placating the IRA and selling British soldiers down the river, this case may never have come about. Cameron's fault was he didn't kick HET into touch right from when he became PM and thus allowed this vindictive treatment of soldiers to continue.
Blair, of course, having already agreed/issued 'letters of comfort' to the terrorists without thinking about protecting his own troops (who may or may not have done anything wrong but were acting, often in the heat of the moment, to what they could they could see & hear at the time and not having the luxury of high paid legal experts arguing for days in a nice courtroom about whether or not a bomb may or may not be thrown or whether a trigger should or shouldn't have been squeezed.

I think the big problem with Blair was that he was a naive idealist who believed the best of everyone and thought the world and the people in it is much nicer than the reality. Unfortunately some of the less nice people took advantage and continue to do so.

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
Some of them shot people in the back. Outside of the RoE. Seems you are another right wing fruit job that would take no notice of the card we carried. Reason it was reinforced post 1972. F admitted he shot 2 unarmed people in the back. His case will be dropped. You want the troubles to have continued post 1997? You are a fruitcake if you did. Read Max Hastings "Going to the Wars" on the start of the troubles. Very clear from a Right Wing writer on why it kicked off. Orange Nutters was a term my brother was told on an intro brief to an infamous radar station in NI. They started this mess. I have no love for the IRA, but it had to be stopped by talking. It was.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
I'm struggling to understand why IRA members who were strongly suspected of crimes were sent letters telling them they were exempt from prosecution for life, yet British soldiers who were strongly suspected of wrongdoings were hounded and in some cases charged.

4everAD

Sergeant
When (and only if) every living active member of the IRA during the troubles is brought into court to be tried for their (alleged) crimes then you can do the same to the troops who may have over stepped their RoE. This whole thing stinks to high heaven.

UlsterExile

Sergeant
Before Martin Magennis went to his death bed he always said that there were things he would never divulge. I am sure there are many more terrorists who would be the same and not divulge anything at all. So if one side are not willing to co-operate then how can it be fair for Soldiers,Policemen and Policewomen who were killed by the IRA unlawfully.

So its OK for one side to want justice. I DON'T THINK SO.

IMHO no PM should be apologising for any actions carried out by Soldiers on duty under orders unless Sien Fein/IRA are also willing to publically apologise for the crimes and deaths they committed and offer up all information concerning their crimes.

Its a sore point in the Exile household especially when what should have been my father in law was one of those taken and no one will ever be prosecuted for his death. But you do not see Mrs Exile on TV looking for justice, she has moved on and so did her mother,they both know that they will never get justice or an apology.

Apologies I normally refrain from getting involved in NI issues but said my piece now and put to bed.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
An old and bold friend from NI said this to me in 1998 after the GFA was approved.

"There's never going to be peace in NI and I'll tell you the reason so I will. There'll be nothing to shout about in the pubs at night".

Whether he was right or wrong, I got what he was saying.

SAXAVORDIAN

Sergeant
Before Martin Magennis went to his death bed he always said that there were things he would never divulge. I am sure there are many more terrorists who would be the same and not divulge anything at all. So if one side are not willing to co-operate then how can it be fair for Soldiers,Policemen and Policewomen who were killed by the IRA unlawfully.

So its OK for one side to want justice. I DON'T THINK SO.

IMHO no PM should be apologising for any actions carried out by Soldiers on duty under orders unless Sien Fein/IRA are also willing to publically apologise for the crimes and deaths they committed and offer up all information concerning their crimes.

Its a sore point in the Exile household especially when what should have been my father in law was one of those taken and no one will ever be prosecuted for his death. But you do not see Mrs Exile on TV looking for justice, she has moved on and so did her mother,they both know that they will never get justice or an apology.

Apologies I normally refrain from getting involved in NI issues but said my piece now and put to bed.
Wasn't there a rumour ye olde Martin (Butter wouldn't melt in his mouth) McGuinness at the time of the Bloody Sunday shootings was pointing a weapon out of a tall building looking down hence the melle . He never did deny not being there. Sadly when soldiers become piggy in the middle of a civil conflict the end result alway bloody and no winners.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Troubles case dropped for soldier F and soldier B.
Soldier F case revived.
" A former soldier is to stand trial accused of two murders on Bloody Sunday in Londonderry in 1972. Former paratrooper Soldier F, who cannot be identified, is accused of murdering James Wray and William McKinney"

50 years after the event you can only hope the same rigour and effort is being put into tracing the historical terrorist killers who operated during the same time frame.

Last edited:

UlsterExile

Sergeant
Soldier F case revived.
" A former soldier is to stand trial accused of two murders on Bloody Sunday in Londonderry in 1972. Former paratrooper Soldier F, who cannot be identified, is accused of murdering James Wray and William McKinney"

50 years after the event you can only hope the same rigour and effort effort is being put into tracing the historical terrorist killers who operated during the same time frame.

Unfortunately it will never happen this is only happening IMHO to appease the republican community, and they will drag this on till it goes away and those left behind are dead or have no will to purse it any longer.

Don't see any SF/Republican being brought up in front of the courts!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
It rumbles on 50 years after the events. I can't see who actually, in 2024, gains anything from this protracted process. For me it's time to move on from things half a century old.

"An Army veteran is to be charged with the murder of a man and the attempted murder of six others in Belfast during the Troubles more than 50 years ago. Three other former soldiers will also face prosecution for attempted murder. The move was announced by the Public Prosecution Service (PPS) after examining evidence submitted following a police investigation. Due to the timing of the decisions, the cases are not affected by the Legacy Act."

"A veteran referred to as Soldier F will face a charge of murdering Patrick McVeigh, 44, at Finaghy Road North in May 1972.
He will also be prosecuted for the attempted murder of four other people in the same incident. Along with individuals referred to Soldiers B, C, and D he is also to be charged with the attempted murder of two people in a separate shooting at Slievegallon Drive in west Belfast, also in May 1972."

Confusingly "The individuals referred to as Soldier F and Soldier C are not the same individuals involved in any previous or on-going prosecution relating to events in Northern Ireland in 1972."

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
And from what I can work out, later this year the law will change to stop all historic charges from the NI troubles.

UlsterExile

Sergeant
Will this be the same for Iraq/Afghan, in 50 years time we are putting squaddies on trial for something they did 50 years ago when there is on speculation and no actual hard evidence.

When will it stop. This country needs to get some bollocks