• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Turkey Teeth

J Y Kelly

Corporal
A lad a work has a magnificent set of gnashers. I would imagine Shergar would have been envious. I believe these veneers were done in Turkey. Apparently over the last few years, getting your teeth done on the cheap in Turkey has become really popular. That is, until it goes wrong. This lad is currently off work sick due to problems with his teeth. This raises a few questions. Would a RAF Dentist do anything with these teeth? Has he made himself permanently dentally unfit and unable to go OOA? Does this count as a self inflicted injury? Could a disciplinary or administrative action be taken against him?

norfolkred1

Sergeant
A lad a work has a magnificent set of gnashers. I would imagine Shergar would have been envious. I believe these veneers were done in Turkey. Apparently over the last few years, getting your teeth done on the cheap in Turkey has become really popular. That is, until it goes wrong. This lad is currently off work sick due to problems with his teeth. This raises a few questions. Would a RAF Dentist do anything with these teeth? Has he made himself permanently dentally unfit and unable to go OOA? Does this count as a self inflicted injury? Could a disciplinary or administrative action be taken against him?
Bit like the old adage of getting sunburn as being self inflicted, did anyone get charged for it though. But becoming medically unfit due to bodge it, dodge it and scarper Turkey style may have some impact.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Self inflicted or not, surely there's some sort of dental dysmorphia condition that can be used as a defence.

Chonky chobbler boy is a victim in today's world and the RAF must pay the price, possibly losing a Squadron if necessary to correct this wrong.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The anecdotal "sunburn rule" has been around since Ben Hur was the MTO and Pontius was a pilot but I don't know of anyone who actually got in trouble for over doing the UV rays. A few hearty, yet well meaning, slaps on the smarting back from your mates was usually enough. I doubt anything will happen to Turkey tooth guy, my guess would be that he is out of pocket by a decent amount and in some pain that will last far longer than a couple of days of Jankers. It seems a very painful process to undertake.

"The Turkey process sees patients having their teeth drastically filed down into fangs or stubs to fit large and invasive crowns cemented over the tooth. "

Personally I'm quite dentophobic (yes its a thing) so couldn't entertain having veneers done

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
I would imagine if the individual had a condition that is acknowledged by the NHS and treatable by the NHS, then any sickness absence would be supported if they took themselves off to Turkey (or any UK private clinic) to have it fixed, on the grounds that at some point in time they would have been off anyway - even more so if the absence is subsequently supported by a fit note from their GP. I have a member of my team currently off who has recently travelled to Turkey for treatment for a recognised condition due to the excessive waiting list for NHS treatment. I received an NHS GP Fit note and therefore I feel duty bound to support the absence as I am not a medical professional and the fit note merely stated "post-surgery recovery".

However, I may be looking at this from a simplistic Line Manager point of view, and will wait for our resident HR Guru @busby1971 to give us the official line.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
If it was for cosmetic reasons only then I would imagine disciplinary action could be taken, which could involve discharge due to making yourself non-deployable, and therefore no use to the RAF.

Deltaitem

Corporal
If he's an officer, it'll probably be put down to a proactive, thinking outside of the box attempt at self-improvement, and he'll likey get promoted. If he's not an officer, then it'll be self inflicted, and a swift trip to the guard room for some jankers will soon follow.

Last edited:

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Don’t know about this, probably sort itself out, what I do remember is when the RAF used to mobilise reservists the dentist got busy and there were quite a few of them demobilised, those who couldn’t be sorted out in time to deploy.

Last time I was in Turkey, they seemed to be doing a great deal in baldy head corrections, which unless you’ve got Jimmy Carr money never looks quite right.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Nothing is stopping the 'Fang Mechanic' from ripping these new cosmetic teeth out and getting him a set of ivories to put by his bed each night.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
There was some Doris on Instagram a few weeks back, advertising the dangers of Turkey Teeth. Her teeth were messed up that bad that she was in hospital with recurring infections, and about £20k worth of corrective treatment required from a competent UK Dentist.

I'm comfortable having teeth like a skip full of smashed TV's so no danger of me doing something so fucking stupid.

Sack the pillock.