• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Travel Claim shennanigans....

Inevertouchedit

Flight Sergeant
Does the modern Air Force still get Travel Claims ??

Used to get 4 when I joined up, then some Shiney dropped them to 2 a year. I was amazed at a Secret Fifeshire Airbase, just how many of my colleagues had Grannies in Penzance !! About 85% of the Sqn I'd guess.

Had a mate at Cosford, he was an Appo but apart from that was OK, reckoned half of his Course got busted (89-90ish) for Travel Claim fraud. One guy was questioned about his weekend trip to Aberdeen and said to the SIB. "You can't prove I didn't go"
SIB put him in the back of a car and headed North so that the lad could show them exactly which B&B he stayed in. They'd just passed Glasgow before he cracked.

About £300 & a month of Jankers was the going rate !!

Happy days.

Dave-exfairy

Warrant Officer
Had a mate at Cosford, he was an Appo but apart from that was OK, reckoned half of his Course got busted (89-90ish) for Travel Claim fraud. One guy was questioned about his weekend trip to Aberdeen and said to the SIB. "You can't prove I didn't go"
SIB put him in the back of a car and headed North so that the lad could show them exactly which B&B he stayed in. They'd just passed Glasgow before he cracked.

About £300 & a month of Jankers was the going rate !!

There was a rumour going round that after I had left Cosford in April '92 that the last course of Appos had 95% of their number done for false travel claims and the story went that they'd all put travel claims in for going up to a lad's house in Scotland on the same weekend, some shiney had phoned the lad's house up only to be told that no-one had visited that weekend.

Chad Norman

Corporal
That Appo course was the infamous 155, last course at Cosford.
My course in fact. '92 if my fading memory serves me right. Wasn't quite 92% of the course more like half!

Some guys went to the glass house to get bummed by the para's. Others went to a Navy base to play volleyball, luck of the draw!

With only half of the course at Cosford for a while we became known as 'Pickfords', being volunteered to 'help' Officers move house ******.

Happy days

Chad

SgtScribbly

Corporal
Used to get 4 when I joined up, then some Shiney dropped them to 2 a year.

shineys had the authority to make allowances policies in them days?

surprised they werent on the higher pay band back then with that to do as well...

or did someone else make that decision?

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
I used to sell my Rail Warrants! (1970's - we used to get four a year, I think!)
A Fiver a time (20 Cigs were just 50p) and I'd collect them from Gen Office for delivery.

I also used to collect names and addresses of "distant" relatives and "visit" them instead of going home. No need for receipts most of the time - so it worked well - and most people were doing it, I used to sell to SNCO's.

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
Warrants for anybody who had been in the mob for over 3 years were binned in the early nineties. It might be as late as 96/97, but it was over a decade ago.

he_who_dares_rodney

Flight Sergeant
I used to sell my Rail Warrants! (1970's - we used to get four a year, I think!)
A Fiver a time (20 Cigs were just 50p) and I'd collect them from Gen Office for delivery.

I also used to collect names and addresses of "distant" relatives and "visit" them instead of going home. No need for receipts most of the time - so it worked well - and most people were doing it, I used to sell to SNCO's.

Used to do the same in '87 - 88 no problems getting them
Didn't see the problem myself if I wasn't useing them why waste them?

Didn't almost all off 2 MT get done right up to the Wing Co at one point for fraudulent claims

I remember a RAF Police man telling us at some breifing that fraudulent claims and expenses were the number one courts martial offences at the time

Mouth

LAC
Mate of a Guy i worked with once got Fizzed an a trip to the clink when he was caught out ...

He was using his girlfriends parents address in cornwall or somewhere to fill in Travel Claims ... however , after a bust up with his lass , he STILL used her parents address for his " visits"..... some bod in PSF checked it out , checked it out with his lass , who stitched him up like a kipper ! - eshe ven getting her parents to say they'de never met him before and therefore throwing up 2 years worth of fraudulent claims. he admitted to 2 or 3 but , because no one could verify the times he had actually went to see them , they done him for them as well !!

kidcock

SAC
A mate of mine who worked in Accounts Flt at Digby invented a fake airman i think he was on the ration strength aswell. He put all sorts of claims in for him and then processed them himself. Anyway he ended up getting caught. I think he went to Colchester and then out. He was a good lad.

Dave-exfairy

Warrant Officer
A mate of mine who worked in Accounts Flt at Digby invented a fake airman i think he was on the ration strength aswell. He put all sorts of claims in for him and then processed them himself. Anyway he ended up getting caught. I think he went to Colchester and then out. He was a good lad.

How the feck can he be "a good lad"? The tw@t stole from you and your colleagues, he committed a crime, he's a criminal, pure and simple.

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Warrants for anybody who had been in the mob for over 3 years were binned in the early nineties. It might be as late as 96/97, but it was over a decade ago.

They were taken away after the Bett report in '95. For me it amounted to a £700 pay cut. Amazing how quickly Command can act when it suits, it was literally days if i remember correctly. Shame they never notice of the "Dont cherry-pick the measures in this report" caveat.

T

Trip Hazzard

Around '94-'95, I remember some shiney telling me that since I'd reached the magical age of 26, I was only entitled to two warrants per year.

Wish the feckers had told me that at the start of my 26th...

Martin Blank

Sergeant
No it wasn't and she wasn't a hooker..... she gave it out pretty freely including a 3 man effort on the last night. :pDT_Xtremez_28:

Actually way I heard it she did charge and took cheques, whick was why the course got caught. She had a load of un cashed ones in her posession when caught shoplifting and gave her address as RAF Cossford, that was pre Dec 1987

Chilliboy

SAC
Actually way I heard it she did charge and took cheques, whick was why the course got caught. She had a load of un cashed ones in her posession when caught shoplifting and gave her address as RAF Cossford, that was pre Dec 1987

She was nicking the cheques (and cash) from people's rooms while they were at the gym or getting showered. Because she would only take a single cheque at a time no-one seemed to notice. Apparently she only took Nat West cheques so she could cash them at the bank on camp. She definitely didn't charge the 3 lads who she 'entertained' the night before graduation.

It was March/April '87.