• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tornado GR4 replacement.

Captain Slog

Trekkie Nerd
Subscriber
Due to Defence cut-backs, it has been announced that the replacement for the Tornado GR4 has been delayed indefinitely. Therefore, as an interim measure the RAF have just released a picture of the aircraft they are planning to introduce to act as a stop gap until the situation is resolved.

This aircraft was chosen based on the fact that it is “decades ahead of its time” and that the MoD wanted to maintain its link with the British Aircraft Industry. Research is currently being carried out to locate Aircrew and Groundcrew who have previous experience on the aircraft.

In the meanwhile, an MoD spokesman stated that any personnel who are interested in applying for the project can obtain further information on the Internet at www.TSR2.wind.up.co.uk but they must be at least 60 years old.

Last edited:

Realist78

Master of my destiny
A rare picture indeed CS, the worst thing about that futuristic jet was the edict (from a ministerial spoilt child of the Labour variety) that the jigs were to be destroyed to stop it's rebirth etc . Crying shame to this day!:pDT_Xtremez_09:

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
A rare picture indeed CS, the worst thing about that futuristic jet was the edict (from a ministerial spoilt child of the Labour variety) that the jigs were to be destroyed to .........

Appease our transatlantic cousins ::/:

P

Pan Warrior

the AWACS

the AWACS

Down the road i see the AWACS have cost saving lean ideas..!!!-07_jpg.jpg

D

Damo

A rare beast indeed!!! :pDT_Xtremez_18:

Last edited:

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
Due to Defence cut-backs, it has been announced that the replacement for the Tornado GR4 has been delayed indefinitely. Therefore, as an interim measure the RAF have just released a picture of the aircraft they are planning to introduce to act as a stop gap until the situation is resolved.

This aircraft was chosen based on the fact that it is “decades ahead of its time” and that the MoD wanted to maintain its link with the British Aircraft Industry. Research is currently being carried out to locate Aircrew and Groundcrew who have previous experience on the aircraft.

In the meanwhile, an MoD spokesman stated that any personnel who are interested in applying for the project can obtain further information on the Internet at www.TSR2.wind.up.co.uk but they must be at least 60 years old.

Project rebirth will have to be cancelled, The main test pilot is already dead (Roland Beamont). The other is well into his 80's (Jimmy Dell).

C

Chuffybum

Tornado GR4 replacement.

My trade was created cos of the TSR2. Unfortunately they cancelled the ac but forgot to cancel the trade. I joined up anyway and up till recently have nad a fantastic time.

airframe doctor

Corporal
My trade was created cos of the TSR2. Unfortunately they cancelled the ac but forgot to cancel the trade. I joined up anyway and up till recently have nad a fantastic time.

Does that mean you have been sitting around doing nothing for quite a whilre now?
If you have and managed to get away with it for so long fair play to you.:pDT_Xtremez_30:

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer

Well they did give you Must Replace Canberra Again to play with in the end.

Captain Slog

Trekkie Nerd
Subscriber

Aha - I remember you "Super Techs". When I arrived at Waddo in '69 as a brand new LAC there was loads of you there all saying that they had been hard done too. It must have been hell having to wait until you were 26 before you got your Chief! I did not think there would be any of you chaps still serving in blue.

F

fergo

TRS2-absolute gem! beauty of an aircraft. did a case study on it. everything tornado can do but better!
from what i heard the b**t**** tore up the prodution line, scrapped the lot.
something interesting i read was talk of at about 2020 turning the GR4's into UCAVs.
there wont be another manned combat aircraft in the UK after thyphoon and JCA. gonna be UAVs, mark my words!

C

Chuffybum

Aha - I remember you "Super Techs". When I arrived at Waddo in '69 as a brand new LAC there was loads of you there all saying that they had been hard done too. It must have been hell having to wait until you were 26 before you got your Chief! I did not think there would be any of you chaps still serving in blue.

There are still a few of us still about and btw very few got to CT by 26 - Im fact I dont know of any personally but no doubt there were.

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
there wont be another manned combat aircraft in the UK after thyphoon and JCA. gonna be UAVs, mark my words!

Hmmm, i seem to remember the government of the day making the same statement when the Lightning came out....and thats why no further work was carried out to make it as viable for export.....it was only the countries that britain had in it's pockets at the time that bought them (saudi and kuwait).

Crack on...............:pDT_Xtremez_09:

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
There are still a few of us still about and btw very few got to CT by 26 - Im fact I dont know of any personally but no doubt there were.
I do (no I wasn't one), but in fairness most were 27 :pDT_Xtremez_15: ,
though most of the ones on the Vulcan Fleet were of the fairy version of super tech. There were some good lads but equally there were some right c0cks too. However, many of the better fairy ones I knew went on to make outstanding GE's/Crew Chiefs.

Hu