• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

TicketyTick

Major Geek

Sergeant
Got a problem with the second car - Fiesta 1.3LX 1996.

Engine is noisier than usual, there is a random loud ticking noise when idling, less power than normal.

Would it start/run at all if the timing belt has gone?

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Got a problem with the second car - Fiesta 1.3LX 1996.

Engine is noisier than usual, there is a random loud ticking noise when idling, less power than normal.

Would it start/run at all if the timing belt has gone?

If the timing belt is gone it would be fcuked. If your timing belt is that old, it may well be your water pump about to go. Get it checked out before the whole engine blows.

if its a ticking sound at idle its probably worn tappets. Change the oil and give it a good engine flush at the same time this should sortthat out for you. If it was a water pump problem id expect more of a squeaking than a clicking sound myself.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
If your engine has Hydraulic Tappets it could be a worn Cam (or several Cams worn)

Use a VERY LONG screwdriver or several Extension Bars to locate the sound by putting one end on the engine and your ear to the other - like a stethoscope. You'll soon find out where the noise is coming from.

Take great care not to get tangled in all that turning stuff!

Put the end "near" to bearings, Genny's and Pumps, all the turn-ey things, etc - the louder it is, the nearer you are to the problem!

planesailing

Always a Liney
TicketyTick

Could be big ends, is it easy to check the oil pressure?

Your description certainly a possible symptom of this.

However, hope it is something cheap to remedy. :pDT_Xtremez_30:

spanners

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I used to have a Fiesta and the engine had lost compression, got a 2nd hand engine for about £100 plus delivery and with the help of a trusty Haynes manual and the help from a mate, managed to change the engine in under 2 hours. Just the normal tools required along with a hoist or a winch.
So all is not lost if the engine is finished.

D

dodgysootie

I used to have a Fiesta and the engine had lost compression, got a 2nd hand engine for about £100 plus delivery and with the help of a trusty Haynes manual and the help from a mate, managed to change the engine in under 2 hours. Just the normal tools required along with a hoist or a winch.
So all is not lost if the engine is finished.

Yeah right Span! Dont tell me! The A team helped?

spanners

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Yeah right Span! Dont tell me! The A team helped?

Ha DS!! The fiesta engine is very basic, bonnet off, exhaust and ancillaries off, disconnect wiring and all the other bits including mounts and winch out and swap the clutch over. The hardest part was getting the splines to line up as I reconnected the engine onto the gearbox.
With 2 people it’s not that bad, plus the replacement engine was knackered, so I did have a bit of practice for when I did it again!!

Realist78

Master of my destiny
It'll not be the timing belt, the fecking thing wouldn't run (clue's in the item description). Could be the water pump though, either way get it sorted sharpish before an expensive engine change.

Major Geek

Sergeant
It'll not be the timing belt, the fecking thing wouldn't run (clue's in the item description). Could be the water pump though, either way get it sorted sharpish before an expensive engine change.

Asked the geezer when I booked it into the garage (I don't do cars) and he said it might have slipped a couple of teeth whatever that means. Kid went to take it in this morning and he said it wouldn't start. Though it might be battery after being sat on hard shoulder the other night for a while with hazards going and also the recent cold weather. I come home later and it starts albeit with same symptoms. Now booked in for Friday. Thanks for the advice.

Shugster

Warrant Officer
Ha DS!! The fiesta engine is very basic, bonnet off, exhaust and ancillaries off, disconnect wiring and all the other bits including mounts and winch out and swap the clutch over. The hardest part was getting the splines to line up as I reconnected the engine onto the gearbox.
With 2 people it’s not that bad, plus the replacement engine was knackered, so I did have a bit of practice for when I did it again!!

So why did you try to fit the bolts in the starter motor on my Cortina without fitting the motor first eh? I know it was only 19 years ago, but still... :pDT_Xtremez_28:

As for the Clicking, it could be a damaged coil, HT lead or distrib. cap and the click is the charge shorting to the Engine block. That would also cause erratic running.

G

grumpyoldb

Just turn the fcukin' radio up...............sorted!!!:pDT_Xtremez_31:

Shugster

Warrant Officer
Don't touch the leads with the engine running BTW! It won't kill you but it will wake you up!

Check for cracks or worn insulation with the engine off. Then listen to see if you can hear where it's coming from while the motor's running.

Realist78

Master of my destiny
Asked the geezer when I booked it into the garage (I don't do cars) and he said it might have slipped a couple of teeth whatever that means. Kid went to take it in this morning and he said it wouldn't start. Though it might be battery after being sat on hard shoulder the other night for a while with hazards going and also the recent cold weather. I come home later and it starts albeit with same symptoms. Now booked in for Friday. Thanks for the advice.

A simple Karen Dunbar "I smell Sh1te" could have been said to him, good luck whatever is wrong with the motor.

Major Geek

Sergeant
Update

Update

Apparently the camshaft is worn, tappets have been adjusted (to the max) and it may last a week or may last a while, sounds a lot better though!

So Rigga was the closest!

Been told to treat it with care, bit difficult with an 18yr old driving it!