• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Wife working in the US.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
I'll be off soon to start a tour on that there new flying gizmo called the F-35. My family will be joining me at Edwards AFB early next year.

So, we've decided that the Wife will want to work over there especially as she's on the cusp of completing her NVQ3 in Childcare which has been a massive amount of work for her.

I'm aware that she'll need to have her qualifications mapped to American standards - there seems to be many companies willing to take mega bucks for the privilege - any advice?

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I'll be off soon to start a tour on that there new flying gizmo called the F-35. My family will be joining me at Edwards AFB early next year.

So, we've decided that the Wife will want to work over there especially as she's on the cusp of completing her NVQ3 in Childcare which has been a massive amount of work for her.

I'm aware that she'll need to have her qualifications mapped to American standards - there seems to be many companies willing to take mega bucks for the privilege - any advice?

Doesn't she need a green card. A friend of mine 's sister went with her husband (who had a job)and she wasn't allowed to work.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
I've heard of wives working in embassies before for the FCO, but you'd probably be better asking the group you are joining (i'm assuming there's more than one of you) as to what is available. One of my FB friends has just moved from one USAF tour to another, but he and his wife have a baby/toddler, so I don't think working appeals to her.

Good luck though, and in case you weren't aware, its a lot further away from home than your previous posting was!

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
Our guys have a few posts out in Virginia - I know that a few years ago, spouses weren't allowed to work; however I believe the rules changed 2014 / 2013, and a spouse can now legally work but there is a visa requirement - which I think has to be applied for BEFORE you leave the UK. I would suggest you completely ignore the Admin office, and go straight in with an email to the US and UK Embassies. I spoke to the US embassy people a few years ago for a similar issue, and they are REALLY switched on people!!

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Cheers Witty.

The Embassy have a dedicated team for this and as soon as the AO lands in my JPA I can expect them to make contact. I'm fairly sure there is very little they don't know on this topic.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
The email I got back from them was more like a novel than a response. They also sent a shedload of hyperlinks and documents for background reading. Never had to deal with the UK embassy, but I would imagine that the Yanks put us to shame...