• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Shafting that is NEM

So, downbanding galore, a new rate of NI that will make us all losers and now SFA increases.....what is next? Who has seen their 'possible 1%' pay rise obliterated for the next 5 years? A stand still, or reduction in their quality of life until they hit their exit date perhaps?

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
Less manpower = increased tasks + increased charges for less allowances + less salary + less pension = ??

My role sees me working closely at many different Units and the story is very much the same, if that individual themelf isn't banging out, then they know someone close that is.

Latest example, i was working with some registry staff, 1 civvy, 1 SAC, 1 Cpl and 1 x Navy PO. Both SAC and PO had PVR'd and the Cpl was hovering over the button apparently.

This of course has a knock on effect, i used to see it years ago, where RAF were proud of their role and up until the last possible minute would still be helping the section and some even still taking calls in their new careers - now all i hear and Witty B is a perfect example, feck the RAF, that they are happy to coast to their next exit point, OOA? No thanks have a med chit etc etc etc.

I am not blaming them as the powers that be have done this to them (us) - where once their was loyalty, all that remains after this total lack of respect from the Government is bitterness and resentment ergo individuals are looking after number one much more than ever now.

Last edited:

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
This was a little while ago now, but my office was dealing with something that required SME advice and the said SME had since left the service.

A letter was drafted and sent out which outlined the issue and the actions required of said SME.

The response was an itemised quote/bill running into the many thousands should the RAF wish to procure their services.

Although the RAF huffed and puffed and could not understand why they would not assist, funny thing the SME was never bothered again.

How i laughed.

4everAD

Sergeant
Just remember it's not a cost saving exercise, this whole NEM package was supposed to be what we wanted. They spent years planning this to make it a retention positive package, all in all I think we can say they messed it up! If I have to sit through one more NEM brief where the party line is towed by the deliverer I think I might kill someone.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Just remember it's not a cost saving exercise, this whole NEM package was supposed to be what we wanted. They spent years planning this to make it a retention positive package, all in all I think we can say they messed it up! If I have to sit through one more NEM brief where the party line is towed by the deliverer I think I might kill someone.

Just like PAYD was what you wanted

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

The whole "not a cost saving exercise" is disingenuous and insulting to our intelligence. The aim is to save money on the wage bill...end. All other benefits are secondary. Careful utilization of weasel words in the literature confirms this. I'd respect the NEM team more if they would be up front and honest about that rather than trying to persuade us what a fantabulous deal it is.

The marking time element "because you're not completely effective at the new rank" is hilarious. That's why we had incremental pay for that very reason!

XVR RA RA RA

Sergeant
Just like PAYD was what you wanted

I always wondered... If those asked* said we DONT want pay as you dine, or we want more spending on food. Would they have listened and implemented what we wanted? Or is it selective listening to suit the pre-decided agenda? I wonder...

*Was anyone asked ? I wasn't.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I always wondered... If those asked* said we DONT want pay as you dine, or we want more spending on food. Would they have listened and implemented what we wanted? Or is it selective listening to suit the pre-decided agenda? I wonder...

*Was anyone asked ? I wasn't.

When I was in a lot of lads wanted to be able to pay as they ate. It was just another excuse for them to have more money

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
The magic art of consultation, you ask a 1000 people the same question you'll get enough people giving you the answer you want.

The question was more likely to have been:

Would you like to pay for the meals you have rather than a daily charge whether or not you eat a meal.

It wouldn't have been:

Would you like to pay more for each meal you have, part of which will now be profit margin for a private company, and the standard of food and service will reduce to allow this?

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
Nice to know that I'm now the 'perfect example' of an RAF NCO, cheers Dan! lol! All those years of trying too hard, who'd have thought that all I had to do was stop caring? hahaha

Seriously though, 'not caring' is actually quite nice. I'm no longer bothered by the NEM, or pensions, or TOS / TORs, or SJARs, or secondary-bloody-duties... I can just 'switch off', and when I knock off work at the end of the day I can focus on my family and me-time, instead of having to do work-related stuff.

As for PAYD, I remember being quizzed about it in 2001/2002. It was people like me (shift workers) who wanted it, because we were paying for meals that we just weren't getting / couldn't take. PAYD makes sense for people like shift workers.

Of course, the rest of the RAF (Singley admin / dayshirkers who live in a Mess) got really upset when the status quo was disturbed, but the rest of us were quite happy with it!

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The magic art of consultation, you ask a 1000 people the same question you'll get enough people giving you the answer you want.

The question was more likely to have been:

Would you like to pay for the meals you have rather than a daily charge whether or not you eat a meal.

It wouldn't have been:

Would you like to pay more for each meal you have, part of which will now be profit margin for a private company, and the standard of food and service will reduce to allow this?

I was consulted about PAYD before it came out in '92 as a JR. A civil servant joined us while we were eating (plates piled high) and asked us what we thought of the principle of PAYD to which we agreed that it was a great idea. He then told us what it was likely to cost us. WHen we heard the estimated costs we changed our minds and said it was a very bad idea and that we'd rather keep fixed charges.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
I was consulted about PAYD before it came out in '92 as a JR. A civil servant joined us while we were eating (plates piled high) and asked us what we thought of the principle of PAYD to which we agreed that it was a great idea. He then told us what it was likely to cost us. WHen we heard the estimated costs we changed our minds and said it was a very bad idea and that we'd rather keep fixed charges.

Admittedly, cost wasn't really a factor when I was quizzed over PAYD. I was at St Mawgan at the time, and the Americans' dining facilities were much better than anything the JRM could offer, plus I was recently married so it didn't really affect me. Given the option to eat a slice of pizza the size of my head for £1.50 or whatever drool the mess was pushing out, I chose the US version. And on night shifts, it wasn't relevant becuase I brought packed lunches.