• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Police

T

Tigger

The last 2 years will fly by, it did for me. You need to book the potential police officers course early.
On the application there is a box that asks for a letter from your boss confirming the earliest they will release you to start.

Dave

Get Tae

Flight Sergeant
Is the potential police officers course you are on about any good if you are going to join a scottish force?

Stax

Flight Sergeant
My lad wants to be a Copper. He's 16 at the moment and has got about 4 years before he can apply. He is starting the UPS course at the local college in Sept as it gives an overview of all Uniformed Public Services and leads to a BTEC Diploma, equivelant of 3 A Levels. Question is, will he still go through all the stuff you went through as a first timer? If the answer is yes, then I will print off all your advice for him.

T

Tigger

Everyone goes through the same selection, even the ones who want onto the high potential development scheme.

Your lad will need some life experience, so it might be worth while him taking a year out to go travelling a bit.

the_crab

SAC
hi Tigger, that was a very thorough post..............having been on the other side of the desk (ex recruiter), your advice will stand people in good stead for a whole range of jobs not just the Police.

if anyone has kids leaving school, show them the interview part as they will need all the advice they can get. First impressions DO count as does your attitude and bearing. lots of good gen there........good on ya mate

T

Tigger

If I get the chance, I'll pop a few more tips on a post. I've literally popped home for lunch.

a1091.gif

a1092.gif

T

Tigger

Ok, I mentioned a few things to look at for interview and about assessment centre preperation.
The tests at assessment centre are simple maths and speed/distance/time stuff. Theres a trick to this, because it's very tight on time. The questions start very simple and get to the point where you need to do a bit of working. Bin that question, move on. You still only get one mark, go onto the next question that is quick to answer. If you have time go back, but there are more than enough quick questions to get you through.
The english excercise is about dealing with a problem where you write to a complainant. Usually along the lines of you being a store manager. Again this can be tight on time. The problem will be simple to deal with. Come up with a solution and put it onto paper. If I remember there are two of these to do. They are looking at your English skills, punctuation etc.
The verbal logical reasoning is where you can really score highly. You will have a number of questions all with a paragraph of text depicting a scenario. there will then be a number of statements and the answer will be yes, no, unable to say.
DO NOT RUSH ! There is stacks of time on this one, use all of it. I had time to go through it three times, and I found a few silly mistakes each time. The way I found that worked for me was to read the text, read the questions, read the text again, answer the questions.
If you do the Potential Police Officers course, you will do loads of these questions. I may have a few examples somewhere still, I'll post them if I can find them.

Interview List of things to study
Ministerial priorities
Local force priorities
High profile operations, both local and national ie operation ore
Local issues impacting you force area
National Intelligence model
Intelligence led policing
Know the geography of your force are, divisions, sectors, HQ's
Know the structure of those divisions.
Know about SOCAP powers
Know about the serious organised crime agency.
How many of you know what a shift constable does day to day.... ?
For me it can be anything from sudden deaths to missing kids, RTC's to violent domestics. I can go days without using the lights and sirens or it can be non stop 'A' grade calls.
Have a think about what effect the job will have on the family, you may be asked.
You may be asked about how you plan to deal with the crap initial wages....I was.
Do you know what support networks are available to officers i.e councilling.
be in no doubt you will see some f***ing horrible things. You will find things that get to you. For me its kids being treated badly.
Know a bit about the police authority and their relationship with the force.
What is the IPPCC and the HMIC ?
Know what form you're training will take. Theres about to be a big shake up.

If you guys want I can put together a shift diary, so you can see whats involved day to day. ? let me know yes or no.