• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Last Major Aircraft Maintenance at St Athan

• Thread starter Littleoldwinedrinkerme
  • Start date
L

Littleoldwinedrinkerme

In Dec 2010, the last VC10 Major Maintenance will leave St Athan. 60% of the work force will be made redundant. Minor & Minor* Maintenance will be carried out in 'Twin Peaks' for about another 18 months. Unless the RAF/MOD/BAE decide to extend the life of the VC10, or someone waves a magic wand and finds more work for us,there will be no further aircraft work at ST Athan.:pDT_Xtremez_37:

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
isn't cosford moving there at some point?

How will that benefit the Saints work force ?

It will be quietly announced in the news that Saints will close with the loss of 2 civilian jobs and the rehoming of a Red Squirrel, Cosford will then not arrive due to some unforseen problem with the wrong kind of government.
Ikea, Halfords and Aldi will buy Red Dragon while Tesco will get into a bidding war with MacDonalds to buy twin peaks. :pDT_Xtremez_25:

Last edited:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
There has been many 'lasts' over the past 10-15 years so this should be no surprise...A shame but no surprise...and as small as we feel at the moment I think we could be in for a few more before we have paid the penalty for boom and bust living and bailing out the banks...

I have some nice memories of Saints too but I also have of STM, Chivenor, Watton, Abingdon and Brawdy and probably a few more that have closed or been run down to a holding staff besides...

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I didn't enjoy my posting to Saints one bit but I am of the opinion that the military have lost,/will have lost their most important behind the front line engineering marvel. As for the local Welsh community, it has to be a devastating blow and I really don't know what the long term effects will be for that particular area. There are lots and lots of Welsh lads and lasses who were superb workers and excellent tradesmen/women and their skills will be lost as they retrain for other industries (unless they up sticks)

Sorry to hear this news but not surprised.

TW

FOMz

Warrant Officer
I was there only last week (I spent 6 years there as a posting). A shadow of its former self and a bloody ghost town. The new super hanger looks good, but is emptier than an empty thing, even the tumbleweeds have got bored blowing about the place.

It could have been so good, shame it was allowed to be run into the ground and extinction.

Mug?

Flight Sergeant
Ps

Ps

If it ever does happen (cosford move not the loss of an actual Useful facility)
Then it means a longer drive and a claim for LSA everytime I need to do a course in the future........saving money? I don't think so? CENTRALISED training? Not geographically!

Anyway i agree it isn't the first and it won't be the last.......
81 SU / 1001SU
a million other small txer/ Rxer/ signals sites.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
How will that benefit the Saints work force ?
It will be quietly announced in the news that Saints will close with the loss of 2 civilian jobs and the rehoming of a Red Squirrel, Cosford will then not arrive due to some unforseen problem with the wrong kind of government.
Ikea, Halfords and Aldi will buy Red Dragon while Tesco will get into a bidding war with MacDonalds to buy twin peaks. :pDT_Xtremez_25:

Blimey I always thought I was cynical. Like the bit about Cosford not moving though SB.:pDT_Xtremez_30: