• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The death of Coltishall

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
I was one of 6000 people who witnessed the last rites of Coltishall on Thursday (30 Nov). A few old Wobblys were close to tears. A well thought out ceremony finished by a fabulous break by the Jag four ship and a Hurricane display. Rest in peace Colt, so many good memories..

I had planned on going myself but an appointment with the eye doc prevented me travelling up to Norfolk. I'm sure it was a sad occasion for all concerned. Maybe I'll drive pass the site next time I'm up that way and pay my respects.

I

I look like Kevin Cosner2

I was one of 6000 people who witnessed the last rites of Coltishall on Thursday (30 Nov). A few old Wobblys were close to tears. A well thought out ceremony finished by a fabulous break by the Jag four ship and a Hurricane display. Rest in peace Colt, so many good memories..

Amen to that, Coltishall RIP

lisab

Girlie Brosette Mod - I owe you nothing...oooh ah!
So is that it? completely closed? nobody there now??? must admit I was a bit gutted I couldnt make it on 30th I have some great memories of the place

Robby

Corporal
Coltishalls Last Day

Coltishalls Last Day

As one of the last few fortunate enough to be at RAF Coltishall, I was proud to march out of the gates on the last day, a quality day to close a quality Unit. I am however livid at the treatment of us in the press, even the RAF News gave a little bit here and a little bit their while No1 Sqn Regt had the whole back page.

It seemed to be a trend with Coltishall we'd prepare for the big closure events with the promise of SKY, BBC, ITV and the Fleet Street rabble and next to nobody turning up!
You rouse the lads to do their very best for the cameras and crowds- a bit of swank- only to be let down by the 'power of the press'!!! To be honest we got more publicity when it was announced we could be an 'asylum centre'- I guess it shows what the public wants! The local BBC crowd didn't even turn up on the last day!!!!!

Perhaps this is in the wrong forum - but thanks for the rant!::p:

Last edited:
E

exerk

I took the morning off work to go and see it but couldn't get anywhere near the place for traffic! Sad to have missed it but does anyone have it on video because I didn't see anything on the local news either?

I

I look like Kevin Cosner2

I took the morning off work to go and see it but couldn't get anywhere near the place for traffic! Sad to have missed it but does anyone have it on video because I didn't see anything on the local news either?

PM my Bro, he filmed it from the edge of SHQ. I missed it as well, got stuck in the traffic and was on the main car park selling posters, hence missed the lot except for the flypass.

Grand Prix fanatic..
As one of the last few fortunate enough to be at RAF Coltishall, I was proud to march out of the gates on the last day, a quality day to close a quality Unit. I am however livid at the treatment of us in the press, even the RAF News gave a little bit here and a little bit their while No1 Sqn Regt had the whole back page.

It seemed to be a trend with Coltishall we'd prepare for the big closure events with the promise of SKY, BBC, ITV and the Fleet Street rabble and next to nobody turning up!
You rouse the lads to do their very best for the cameras and crowds- a bit of swank- only to be let down by the 'power of the press'!!! To be honest we got more publicity when it was announced we could be an 'asylum centre'- I guess it shows what the public wants! The local BBC crowd didn't even turn up on the last day!!!!!

Perhaps this is in the wrong forum - but thanks for the rant!::p:

ITV did show a bit on Angila News, but it is not surprising that other News organizations were not bothered as in reallity they believed that Colt really finished as a news item the day the last Jags left. The RAF News print what they want to :pDT_Xtremez_42:, I would not take it to be from lack of information / images passed by Mick Jennings (The best CRO any station could ever have!):pDT_Xtremez_28:

Robby

Corporal
"ITV did show a bit on Angila News, but it is not surprising that other News organizations were not bothered as in reallity they believed that Colt really finished as a news item the day the last Jags left. The RAF News print what they want to , I would not take it to be from lack of information / images passed by Mick Jennings (The best CRO any station could ever have!)"

I quite agree Mick was excellent which made the final publicity even the more frustrating! I guess we'll have to wait for his book to come out in next year and get a true and fitting tribute

If you want to see a clip of the event
http://media.edp24.co.uk/video/06/nov/news/ColtishallEnd.wmv is a good little clip.

:pDT_Xtremez_30:

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
I quite agree Mick was excellent which made the final publicity even the more frustrating! I guess we'll have to wait for his book to come out in next year and get a true and fitting tribute.

Of course its going to be a good book, I'm doing the colour profiles for it. Some of the artwork below.

Last edited:
Much as I found the camp quite backward and not embracing change, I have since I left, realised what a great camp it was. Great area for the kids and Norwich on the lash was a crackin'. The lowering of the ensign brought a bit of a lump to the throat. Great vid....cheers

F

Full-PHAT-Roller

A very sad day, only one tour at Colt but loved every second. Can I download the vid anywhere? These ere pooters in the desert can't stream fast enough :(

Robby

Corporal
Coltishall video Download

Coltishall video Download

It appears that the video clip on the EDP web site is encrypted (and very well by all accounts) I do know a few people who are trying to make it easy to download - will advise when available.

Grand Prix fanatic..
It appears that the video clip on the EDP web site is encrypted (and very well by all accounts) I do know a few people who are trying to make it easy to download - will advise when available.

I did video the event and will look to edit it onto You Tube ASAP after my working holiday. I recorded everything bar locking the gate. If any one wants a copy of the DVD version I have done (And it includes the launch of the last Jags on the 1st of April) , PM me and I will be willing to do copies for a nominal cost.:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Just had to dig this back up....

This is enough to bring a tear to your eye....

G

grumpyoldb

At least Coltishall isn't getting the bulldozer, unlike Finningley...................

Last edited: