• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Big R

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
It has been suggested before but alas, it doesn't interest me. Now CASWO.....a real chance to shake it up and I wouldn't be a political puppet!!! .:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Now who could have suggested that?

CASWO it is then. Bring it on!

Noidea

SAC
How very egalitarian; but rather wide of the mark. Branch Sponsors are not some form of Branch/Trade TU representative. Their function, through the Head of Branch is integral to meeting the RAF’s key requirement of sufficient, capable and motivated personnel in delivering operational capability. Their main function is to ensure the branch and trades' structural sustainability to ensure that it meets the requirements of the Service and Defence.

Ours works through the Head of Branch to CAS to ensure that the Pers Branch, PTI Trade, and Pers(Sp) Trade meet their operational tasks within the constraints (in particular manpower numbers) placed on them by the Service.

Full details of Head of Branch and Branch and Trade Sponsors' responsibilities are published on the intranet in GAI1058.

And the implied task therein is keeping the branch and trade informed and taking on board valid concerns and comments. Effort needs to go both ways in today's modern Airforce. So far there appears to be too much hiding behind process and not enough good leadership!

Noidea

SAC
It has been suggested before but alas, it doesn't interest me. Now CASWO.....a real chance to shake it up and I wouldn't be a political puppet!!! .:pDT_Xtremez_30:

For what it is worth you would get my vote. Why didn't you apply in the last bidding process?

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
And the implied task therein is keeping the branch and trade informed and taking on board valid concerns and comments. Effort needs to go both ways in today's modern Airforce. So far there appears to be too much hiding behind process and not enough good leadership!

No problem with that. My point was that the Branch/Trade Sponsor isn't there to make sure that the Pers/PTI/Pers(Sp) cadres are heard; but, that the Pers/PTI/Pers(Sp) cadres are meet the Service's requirments (perhaps some former cadres tried to do the former at the expense of the latter, which is why they no longer exist). But yes, it would be nice to know what is going on every now and again; however, I understand that things are - perhaps excessively - fluid at the moment and - perhaps - the branch/trade sponsors can't say anything new with a degree of certainty at the moment - the goalposts aren't just on wheels they are rockets. The last major change (the loss of over 300 posts) was communicated down to stations in a letter directly from the last Head of Branch.

The last major change (the loss of over 300 posts) was communicated down to stations in a letter directly from the last Head of Branch.

Heard it on the rumour grapevine but not informed formally by either my Chain of Command or a copy of the letter. Just shows how poor we really are at communicating amongst ourselves.

Back onto topic - rumour has it that there will be no compulsory redundees in Tranche 2. The numbers listed are there to maintain the promotion flow. WTF!

PSFbeatch

Corporal
I think whatever happens, it'll be a crying shame that some decent FS & WOs will lose their jobs. I was sad to hear about the ones I heard of on the last tranche. Best of luck to you in the pot of doom, I hope either way if you are in the field, you get what you wish for.

Noidea

SAC
No problem with that. My point was that the Branch/Trade Sponsor isn't there to make sure that the Pers/PTI/Pers(Sp) cadres are heard; but, that the Pers/PTI/Pers(Sp) cadres are meet the Service's requirments (perhaps some former cadres tried to do the former at the expense of the latter, which is why they no longer exist). But yes, it would be nice to know what is going on every now and again; however, I understand that things are - perhaps excessively - fluid at the moment and - perhaps - the branch/trade sponsors can't say anything new with a degree of certainty at the moment - the goalposts aren't just on wheels they are rockets. The last major change (the loss of over 300 posts) was communicated down to stations in a letter directly from the last Head of Branch.

Understand your latter point n the communication piece from the branch and trade sponsor, although your first contention that there are not there to make the voice of who they are representing heard, is the aspect with which many in the trade and branch have the greatest difficulty. With the greatest respect to both branch and trade sponsor the only way they can effectively fight our corner is if they do listen to the collective voice. I am not convinced that there is an effective mechanism for them to do this, or if they do it effectively. If they do then it would be appreciated if they could communicate this. That way the masses could then direct their views through an appropriate channel. And before you jump on the 'use your chain of command' argument, I have often witnessed that not being very effective at all, it all depends if your bosses know the individuals concerned; so personalities In that regard do matter.

KingGuin

Sergeant
For what it is worth you would get my vote. Why didn't you apply in the last bidding process?

Too kind. I was OOA and didn't realise it was up for grabs. Off Topic I'm still in shock that the CASWO has to interview potential SWO's - whomever made that decision should be shot!Off Topic

Noidea

SAC
Too kind. I was OOA and didn't realise it was up for grabs. Off Topic I'm still in shock that the CASWO has to interview potential SWO's - whomever made that decision should be shot!Off Topic

So what is wrong with CASWO interviewing potential SWOs. He is afterall the number 1 WO, so it would seem like a natural extension that he should interview potential SWOs.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Well, the big day has been and gone, and those who got it will be planning their future lives. But today I heard something that makes me even more sore about not being in the field...

There is some plan to reduce the trade/branch by 316 posts (Works Services and PA's at MOBs for starters) and it was thought that it would be completed by 2015, which is why there were very few redundancies, and none at Sgt/Cpl level, despite most of these posts being at that level - it was perceived that it was manageable through natural wastage.

However, someone has decided that many of these posts need to be chopped much sooner - 31 Mar 13, and the net result is that promotion has all but dried up (the #1 SAC on the psl is still waiting for a post to come vacant). If this had been known last year, there would have been Sgt & Cpl redundancies - now they are forced to pay people to be in overborne slots until their normal exit date.

Gutted!

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
I loved my time in but it is fick ups like this that turn people off more than the managers can ever imagine, especially Mr No1 on the board who should really be the keenest man/woman in NATO.

As a trade we do seem to go from one SNAFU to the next.

vinnyvx2

LAC
Having read this, I'm glad I left when I did. I dread to think what the DWR TRT is, or will be. Civvy St has been good in comparison.