• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Balkans war. Please share your experiences.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Twenty two years ago, the violence and killings in Screbrenicia shocked the world. For many, the Balkans appeared to miles away from home. By air transport, it was just a few hours away and for the Royal Air Force, it meant action.

Many people on this site were actively involved in the conflict either indirectly, or directly.

What were your thoughts?

Please take a moment to watch the youstube video and please share your experiences about your role in the RAF during the crisis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnALEecbZ-k

Last edited:

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Can't believe it was 22 years ago......where is the time going?

Personally didn't get involved in anything Bosnia or Croatia related - my experiences related to later events in Kosovo; I got deployed out for a month supporting the Fighting 39th based in Gioia; once the conflict kicked off our time there came to an end, so after much shenanigans we flew back early on a Saturday morning, only for me to be redeployed back out on the Tuesday evening to spend 3 months supporting the Harrier Det.

Lasting memories were of great food, 18 hr shifts, no time off and a campaign that went on and on and on....

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Four time visitor with the jags to Gioia - Pizza, Rates, Beer, Rates, Pizza, More beer, hotels, and some rates. Excellent times!

I also spent 4 months at Banja Luka in 2005. The war was over, but the peace was still unsteady.

My memories of that tour are of bullsh!t, petty rules (sleeves down after 6pm when it was still over 40 deg), and members of the British Army strutting around like they were war veterans, when in reality they were a bunch of TA Logisticians who struggled to know one end of a rifle from another, and had only been mobilised because the proper soldiers were in Afghanistan or Iraq.

Being one of 40 RAF amongst around 600 Army meant whatever we suggested would instantly be dismissed out of hand because we were in the minority and perceived as an irrelevance.

My overriding memory was attending a meeting where it was proposed that the RAFP took over the pre-AT duties that were the remit of the RMP. This up-himself TA major questioned the RMP Capt as to whether he thought the RAFP were "up to the job" - to his credit, the Capt replied that the RAFP were actually better qualified to do it, at which point the MTO (RAF WO and our self-appointed SWO) let out a loud "yesssssss". When asked was he alright, he replied that he was never better and after three months of having his RAF staff belittled, criticised and ignored, he'd finally heard someone acknowledge us in a positive light!

Last edited:

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Six Weeks in Senigallia, on the right side of the Adriatic. 3 Hercs a day into Split, full of aid and meds.

Saved a ton, put on Lbs.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Two bits of interest, plenty of trips to Gioia, pretty quiet for th first few stints then a quick redeployment when it all kicked off in Kosovo.

Then later spent 4 good months in Kosovo on the ground with the Army after everything had kinda calmed down and it had become a bit of a party town with a very badly enforced 2 can rule. Had a quick break in Sarajevo which involved being in the Metal Factory for a couple of nights on the way back to Pristina and could not believe how Shiite it was, petty rule central enforced by proper Army Remf nobody's. Got a little extra drunk with the BFBS DJs one night which broke up the monotony, and almost got us into trouble, DJs had the right status to take the hassle.

Sent from my SM-T715 using Tapatalk

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Lots of 'Sharp Guards' flown out of Sig air base in Sicily...not sure of its effect but Sig is a great place to get on it and improve the tan whilst also taking advantage of the US Navy set up there...

Last edited:

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
Spent a glorious 4 months eating shwarma's in the EFI and mahoosive pizza's next to the beach in Trogir. War is Hell!

tommo9999

Higher Pay Band Shiney
Spent a tough 4 months in a decent hotel in Palermo supporting the Op. Medal duly received along with a shedful of rates.