• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tattoo policy

Liggy

LAC
I don't have any tattoos and due to go on my PGSC at the start of November. I didn't pay much attention to the tattoo policy while filling out my application form because it didn't apply to me and I wasn't interested in one then but now I'm considering getting a full sleeve on my right arm and a poppy with some sort of quote of my left pec, can anybody clear this up and tell me if its acceptable or not?

KingGuin

Sergeant
I don't have any tattoos and due to go on my PGSC at the start of November. I didn't pay much attention to the tattoo policy while filling out my application form because it didn't apply to me and I wasn't interested in one then but now I'm considering getting a full sleeve on my right arm and a poppy with some sort of quote of my left pec, can anybody clear this up and tell me if its acceptable or not?

We have serving members with full sleeves; acceptable providing none of the tats are offensive. My advice to anyone would be get inked but do so where it can't be seen in a short sleeved shirt. Good luck with PGSC, train hard.

Liggy

LAC
We have serving members with full sleeves; acceptable providing none of the tats are offensive. My advice to anyone would be get inked but do so where it can't be seen in a short sleeved shirt. Good luck with PGSC, train hard.

Thanks man, on my pec I was thinking of maybe a 36th Ulster Division tat. May e deemed offensive to some though so ill have second thoughts over that.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Thanks man, on my pec I was thinking of maybe a 36th Ulster Division tat. May e deemed offensive to some though so ill have second thoughts over that.
To many others, they'll not have a clue what that Tat would mean. By offensive think something truly stupid like a Swastika or swear words on your knuckles. AFAIK, when considering a Tat, it should not be visible when you wear your No.1 Uniform.

Liggy

LAC
To many others, they'll not have a clue what that Tat would mean. By offensive think something truly stupid like a Swastika or swear words on your knuckles. AFAIK, when considering a Tat, it should not be visible when you wear your No.1 Uniform.

Thanks for the good advice mate. Think that's me all cleared up now :)

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
I have to ask why? More specifically why the rush?
You say when you did your paperwork you did not even pay attention to the tattoo stuff because you were not Interested in tattoos in the slightest, but now, not long after you want a full sleeve and a tat that will probably be mistaken for a sectarian symbol your whole life?
I understand you are growing up, moving out of your parents probably, joining the military, becoming an adult, don't rush in to getting a tattoo (or multiple tattoos) on a passing whim. Join up, give it a while, dare I even say it, grow up a bit more?
If after that you want to cover yourself in tat's then go for it. I have nothing against tattoos themselves, I have just seen people rush into getting them done just so they can say they have one ( or more)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

FOMz

Warrant Officer

I would check on that mate... one of my lads was going to get a similar one and was 'strongly advised' against it... as it could be found offensive by some. If in doubt, get a tat of a big love heart with Mum written on it...

If in doubt... don't.

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
So a ligitimate Division within the British Army that won 9 Victoria Crosses is seen as offensive. Get a grip....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/36th_(Ulster)_Division

Not sure who that is aimed at mate as neither of us said it WAS offensive or sectarian. Like it or not though, the red hand is seen as sectarian in certain circles. Nobody can say 'no you can't have it, it is offensive' but some will see it as sectarian and judge the wearer as such.

norfolkred1

Sergeant
I had TATS on my arms when I joined in 80 and spent 28 years serving, Had no probs however, they are getting selective with recruiting now, so check and get it in writing if you have approval

Liggy

LAC
Not sure who that is aimed at mate as neither of us said it WAS offensive or sectarian. Like it or not though, the red hand is seen as sectarian in certain circles. Nobody can say 'no you can't have it, it is offensive' but some will see it as sectarian and judge the wearer as such.

I've always thought only sectarians take that narrow-minded view. Although your previous post was a fair point, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone5 using my thumb.

FOAs

SAC
As long as the tattoo is not visible below your cuff and above your collar in long sleeve shirt then your tat will be ok. i speak from experience as i had one on my neck done after i joined up and was nearly kicked out for it.

Last edited:
G

gemarriott

You're joining the RAF not the army. Get a Sqadron badge rather than a pongo badge if you qualify.

Oberon305

Chairborne
I had TATS on my arms when I joined in 80 and spent 28 years serving, Had no probs however, they are getting selective with recruiting now, so check and get it in writing if you have approval
Yeah....personally I'd join up then get the tat, not the other way around if there is the slightest bit of doubt.

UlsterExile

Sergeant

Not a big one on TAT's myself but I'll go with that one. Just go with the advice on here best keep it above the short sleeve if you want in. The AFCO will give you the best advice, good luck.