• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

TA suspended for 6 months

P

phantom

Hi Goaters,

Just read on the arrse website that the TA is having its training stopped for six months. Maybe someone higher up the food chain can explain the reasoning, but to me its seems plain bonkers! with all the talk of increasing troop numbers out in theatre and the strain that the regular chaps are under it really dosn't make sense.

If the Gov needs to save money why don't they just cut back on the soft options they contribute to. If you stop training for six months then it will be hard to retain the interest if there is no need to turn up for six months.

On another note I've read that Rauxaf recruitment is on hold 'till next year is this just another money saving move could any one in the know elighten me on this ?:pDT_Xtremez_41:

timaloy

Corporal
They reckon it will save 20 million sheets, It only affects company level training, any TA reservist called up goes to mobilisation training at LWC Warminster, this is like basic and optag training rolled into one and this won't be affect by these cut backs thus not placing any strain on the frontline troops already out there so although the TA guys won't be swanning off to STANTA,RIPPON on the lash they will still be called up to supplement the troops overseas

P

phantom

TA training on hold

TA training on hold

not forgetting 12 million or so for fairtrade,!! Do the MOD really think that these volunteers are going to sit around for six months with nothing to do no drill nights or anything.

What will happen is that they will drift away and jack it in then there will be no one to be deployed when they are needed, with out the reserve forces of all three arms of the military our campaign in Afghan will be buggered.

I realise the MOD see the reserves as Casual labour which really is disgusting, but with nothing to keep them interested they will not hang around to see if they get deployed or not. What will happen is unit cohesion will crumble as will morale then numbers will reduce which means no troops to plug holes.

timaloy

Corporal
It seems that we are fighting on two fronts here!! we need the backing of these voluntary soldiers more than ever and our so called leaders are cutting back again, what a bunch of tw@ts run this country

beowulf

Sergeant
TA suspended for 6 months

This one seems like a schoolboy error here. We are told how much the TA is doing for the regular Army out of area so stopping them training for 6 months must mean taking a lot of guys out of rotation and holding up the training of new pongos. Plus (while we are not in it for the money) there will be a few that will see them losing bounty through no fault of their own and that has to hurt.

Anyone think we will be asked to take a break?

Fairynuff31

Corporal
When I heard this yesterday I was dumbstruck that the One Eyed Wonder and Captain Darling. in cahoots with Dangerous Bob, could even think up such a thing as standing the TA down for 6 months, to save £20M.

In the same news bulletin, we were told that the Government via the Overseas Development Agency (or some such Quango) were giving £12M to the Fairtrade people to ensure that we can get coffee etc at a fair price (fair that is to the poor sod who grows it in Africa etc).

Come next year, I for one will vote these clowns out of office.

he_who_dares_rodney

Flight Sergeant
It will kill the T.A

Once you stop for a while and start to lose your T.A. mojo it makes it harder to go back
The ones who are 110% committed will feel betrayed
The ones who attend when the can due to family and work commitments will find that the extra time they aren't there soon get's put to other uses and decide not to go back

Don't forget that the T.A. units have reguler instructors posted in from parent Regiments and Battalions I assume they will al be RTU'd as there is nothing for them to do for 6 months

P1ss poor calling someone up or asking then to volunteer for Afghanistan when they can't even be allowed to train with their own units
It would be hard enpough t get regulers trained like that and ask them to do it never mind part timers

timaloy

Corporal
this is the asecond thread on this subject, theres one in current affairs called ta training on hold

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Please forgive this sneaky thought, but do you reckon that:

1 the don't need any more troops in Sandyparts
and therefore
2 they're thinking of wrapping up over there within 6 months ?

Strikes me that saving that money is a side issue.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Please forgive this sneaky thought, but do you reckon that:

1 the don't need any more troops in Sandyparts
and therefore
2 they're thinking of wrapping up over there within 6 months ?

Strikes me that saving that money is a side issue.

Utter bollocks mate. Trust me, we are there for the long haul.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Bad move

Bad move

The TA and the RAuxAF/RAFR rely on a lot of goodwill from the part-timer, this is just a kick in the slats to the guys who should get more support not less.

I think there will be quite a few leavers especially if this impacts on Bounties.

C

Chopsy

Agree, it's the long haul I'm afraid. However is it possible the RAuxAF powers that be knew the suspension of TA training was coming and that it would probably lead to a mass of enquiries to the Regt and FP Squadrons from disgruntled TA troops? If so, smart move!

Tocsin

LAC
Throwing a bone...

Throwing a bone...

I see that the powers that be have graciously allowed the TA to train for one evening a month...

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Seems the one eyed wonder has realised the error and has stopped the planned cuts. Did Alister find £20M down the side of the sofa then?

beowulf

Sergeant
Seems the one eyed wonder has realised the error and has stopped the planned cuts. Did Alister find £20M down the side of the sofa then?

Is it just me or have they managed to make a bad situation a whole lot worse?

Situation before: TA stood down for 6 months, full time training staff RTU for the duration and we all hope that when they come back they will have roughly the same number of part time pongos to train.

Situation after: One night every month that will require the input from the full time staff but at a frequency that will allow a significant buggeration factor to creep into their utilisation.

What happens to the regulars on the 29/30 other days of the month? The fact this is announced on the eve of an opposition day debate on the cut and was expected to kick the government in the teeth should not go unnoticed as well.

Maybe the "big picture" has passed me by? How can they take a plan that was described by all as "the worst possible plan" and then amend it to show us that we were in fact dead wrong? I am loath to call this "the worst possible plan" for fear that the mentalist ministers running the country will take this as a challenge to see if they can possibly top it.