• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sunscreen.

Sniffer

Super Moderator
Im currently involved in what is, in the grand scheme of thing a petty little battle, but I have the bit firmly between my teeth now and am finding it difficult to let go.

Background.

In most medical prep orders for personnel deplying it states that sunscreen should be worn (sunscreen has an NSN).

Discussion.

My take of this from a peventive medicine perspective is that it is an item of PPE and if we are putting personnel in a climate where it is necessary then it should be provided gratis by the RAF otherwise why would it have an NSN.

Results.

This has led to rather lengthy emails and discussion. One civvy took it upon herself to explain to me that her brother in law is a builder and his boss doesnt provide sunscreen so why should the RAF? I advised her that he probably doesnt get given socks either and she was trying to compare apples with oranges.

Im just wondering what other Goaters thoughts are on this?

Bottom line I believe, is that if the RAF want personnel to use an item of PPE then it should be provided. I would class it the same as barrier cream for Engineering sections and no one is asking the techies to bring their own pots of that in are they?

Last edited:

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Your thinking and logic are flawless Sniffer.

Don't however expect that to cut any ice when it comes to achieving your aim. When some people are placed in positions of power and authority then no matter how carefully and cleverly you dismantle their arguments and objections, no matter how much evidence you provide that they are wrong and you are right, you will still never win so long as they stand to lose face by accepting that they are wrong.

I spent a RAF career and now civvy one dismantling cr@p arguments put up by losers in authority and the only satisfaction one usually gets its to argue them to a point where they have to say something like 'well thats the way I interpret the rules and thats that.'

Good luck.

Sniffer

Super Moderator
I know this issue is cost related and the other bit of logic I tried to apply was that by providing a £1.49 bottle of sunscreen we could potentially prevent the cost of man hours lost due to sunburn, Doctors time in treatment and additional pharmaceutical cost in prescribing calamine, zinc oxide, pain relief etc.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I know this issue is cost related and the other bit of logic I tried to apply was that by providing a £1.49 bottle of sunscreen we could potentially prevent the cost of man hours lost due to sunburn, Doctors time in treatment and additional pharmaceutical cost in prescribing calamine, zinc oxide, pain relief etc.

OK I know it's different but my NHS Trust provide sunscreen as a matter of course. Better to be safe than sorry.

gray

Sergeant
Last time down the FI, they had UV lip balm, and tubes of sunscreen 'free' on the med centre counter (probably more for wind burn though ! :) )

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Last time down the FI, they had UV lip balm, and tubes of sunscreen 'free' on the med centre counter (probably more for wind burn though ! :) )
it seems you lads are living in a better caring raf but there seems to be someone trying to railroad.

I did 5 tours in Belize and never once got given suncream we we had to buy it ourselves, but saying that we were so intent on getting a tan no one ever bothered. The question is will we pay for it one day.

Sniffer

Super Moderator
Getting it on an established Det/Op is different and the docs will provide it gratis. But I would like to see it provided in the UK in the same manner pre-deployment and for guys on the gate or forming cordon parties etc..

Not every one will take it or even use it but I believe there is a duty of care to provide it.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
On Goose Bat detachments we were issued Sunscreen / Insect Repellent in small sachets. I was last there in 1985 so the 'Caring RAF' hasn't made much headway in that respect.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
So you are in a hot sandy place, no sunscreen on offer, long shift working outdoors, you get sunburn and are taken 'ill'. Who is at fault?

Shinyscot

Corporal
I've never seen anyone be declined sun screen when it's been stated in a prep instruction etc or for individuals on guard etc when required.

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Be polite with THEM while holding all relevant correspondence on record, and if they don't play ball put an SC in.

My opinion!

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
An organisation that does not now provide a holder for an MOD90 that they insist must be kept visible will be able to argue their way out of providing anything.

Sniffer

Super Moderator
Not a fan of the nanny state. Or nanny air force.

H&S, duty of care, what ever you want to call it is neutering the ability of people to look after themselves and we end up with JRs who can't think for themselves nor show initiative.

In this instance, people have been stagging on for years in the UK, myself included. Always managed not to sunburn myself to death.
I refer the honourable gentlemen to my previous comment about barrier cream. Should the guys provide their own? If you think not then why do you view sunscreen any differently?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I refer the honourable gentlemen to my previous comment about barrier cream. Should the guys provide their own? If you think not then why do you view sunscreen any differently?

Is sunscreen really necessary for the two days of sunshine per year in the UK?

Sniffer

Super Moderator
Not usually but as you know everything is assessed on risk and if the risk presents itself then surely the controls should be in place.

Sniffer

Super Moderator
But if its sat on a shelf in supply and you are told to stand out in the sun or work in the sun them surely it makes sense to provide it?